Imported queens

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bryanthebee

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi folks
I need a mated queen so i look online as you do but i came off feeling a little disheartend, due to the fact that so many are selling imports.

here i am thinking i need british ar more local type bee`s for the future of bee keeping in the uk.

like bee that will forage in bad weather, gentleness, open queen breeding but there is not a chance in hell. due to all the imports, can any one justify this.

Hi folks

like bee that will forage in bad weather, gentleness, open queen breeding but .

Bees are same everywhere. You have not special bees on your island. No bees forage in bad weather. Out there is nothing what they can forage.

Just dreaming.

You can try sending a pm to Hivemaker on this forum he perhaps ticks most of your boxes. Others will in time mention even more local queens available to you.

Hi folks
I need a mated queen so i look online as you do but i came off feeling a little disheartend, due to the fact that so many are selling imports.

here i am thinking i need british ar more local type bee`s for the future of bee keeping in the uk.

like bee that will forage in bad weather, gentleness, open queen breeding but there is not a chance in hell. due to all the imports, can any one justify this.

Wot you need is a nice local AMM....
... open queen breeding... as you say not much of a hope in hell for that with all the imports and introgression that will surely occur, unless all around you are like minded!

You have not special bees on your island

OH YES WE DO !

each and every one of the bees I care for are very special.................

I suggest you try the BeeMan as he only has British bred non-imports (so he says anyway) and he has stock available.

[

jep. We had some years ago special cats in the next door neighbour house.
Color was yellow rusty. Speciality was that quite many of them cannot ude their hindlegs.
And the most special: 50 cats in a same house.

National local cats....

Local bees does it every time for me, perhaps that's why mine do so well.

Chris

try ricky Wilson in blaenporth.cardigan. he sells welsh black queens.

You have not special bees on your island

OH YES WE DO !

Indeed we do........

No bees forage in bad weather.

An 'educated person' really ought to know the difference between "I have no experience of bees foraging in bad weather" and "No bees forage in bad weather".

For the sole reason of extreme aggressiveness, I am about to snuff-out a genetic line which quite happily forages when it's raining - or as we say in Britain "when rain has 'set-in' for the day".

I have also seen evidence of Russian bees foraging in temperatures barely above 5 deg C - although what they find to eat 'in Nature's freezer' is beyond me.

Rain, 5 degrees - how much worse does it have to get before you call it 'bad weather' ?

LJ

How do you know that the alleged British Queen is actually a British Queen . Same thing happend here with ‘French Lamb’ turned out to British . Imported to France kept a couple of weeks and became French , also tripled in price .
Official UK figures show there are 10,000 ,with probably a lot more unofficially , imported Queens every year , they have to go somewhere !!! .
Out breaks of AFB due to imported honey , yeah right , there goes another flying pig . How did Varroa get here , they flew across the channel , yeah , right another flying pig . Look at the New Zealand outbreak of Varroa . The introduction of the African honey bee to South and North America .
“ Wake up and smell the coffee “ . The beeks rush for honey and the perceived need for , “quiet peaceful queens “ puts everybody at risk . Have you noticed that when these things happen , it is never the beek’s fault , it is always put down to some other reason , how about taking responsibility for our actions .

Local bees do not import disease .

Rant over .

Rain, 5 degrees - how much worse does it have to get before you call it 'bad weather' ?

LJ

Hi man. Use your brains. How much honey you get in bad weather.

A little bit parctical sense even if this forum is a mere social meeting club.

I have seen what bees do. No need to teach me.

A

Rain, 5 degrees -
LJ

oh dear. Worse rubbish than derekms insulation.

I have seen bees "foraging" in the morning dim 8C (no rain) in balsam. But if I have 40 000 foragers in ONE hive, do you really count those 10 "foragers" which go to nearest flowers to get drinking water or something?

I remember last summer when your queens made mating flights in 10C rainy weather. Most of these 2-hive owners keep those lowsy jokes as true. National Spirit!!!.

Last edited:
How do you know that the alleged British Queen is actually a British Queen . The beeks rush for honey and the perceived need for , “quiet peaceful queens “ puts everybody at risk .

Your post followed mine by a few minutes, but as you didn't use quotes, I don't know for sure if you're referring to my post - but if you are ...

The queen in question is a Carnie/Italian cross - both imported strains ... oh, and I'm not particularly interested in honey production. :)

LJ

Hi man. Use your brains. How much honey you get in bad weather.

That isn't the issue - you clearly said that "no bees forage in bad weather" - not that foraging isn't productive under those conditions ...

A little bit parctical sense even if this forum is a mere social meeting club.

For you perhaps ...

I have seen what bees do. No need to teach me.

Says it all ...

LJ

immigrants spread disease eh?
Perhaps you could blame them for other stuff,perhaps they'll bring over a couple of Asian hornets and some hive beetles with them, then they could go round spraying neonics Where did all the queens come from after the Isle of Wight disease?
Unless of course you pretend it didn't reach Wales and Cornwall, who rant on about their black bees

What about bad husbandry,abandoned hives,for spreading disease

I support Britain through and through, but do grow up, the only healthy bees aren't British bees

Good weather, bad weather, pretty much an irrelevance. Bees go out when there's something available and they stay at home when there isn't, whatever the weather within reason. (Try leaving out some wet supers on a rainy August day and see what happens).

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back