Imported queens

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I do not think the point is if the British bee was rendered extinct by disease approximately 100 years ago, Brother Adam said yes, others say no, strangely enough I'm inclined towards the latter.

The truth is that a large number of imports of AMM were made from the continent in the following decades - soooooo, you cannot be sure if the bees that today fall within the designated AMM measurements are BB or continental AMM or hybrids of both. Hence the recent adoption of the "near native" description by BIBBA and co.

Also just bear in mind that the first imports took place in 1814, 100 years before the epidemic and appearance of Brother Adam and the development of the Buckfast bee.

So, imports are not a recent event. The UK has been dependent upon imports for the last 100 years and will continue being so, especially when heavy winter losses occur. Early queens enabled UK bee stock numbers to recover quickly from the situation such as 2012 and the 2013 spring.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_White_Woodbury

Perhaps you should update Wickipedia with your own histerical facts !

Mr Hermann.... I wonder????:icon_204-2:

Last edited:
I have no doubt that many a man has thought he has been the first only to discover that he wasn't!

Do your own homework Icanflopit and don't believe everything you read on Wikipedia.

I have no doubt that many a man has thought he has been the first only to discover that he wasn't!

Of course Aristotle discovered the Quark ?

Do your own homework ICANHOPIT and don't believe everything you read on Wikipedia.

From which peer reviewed documentation did you get your facts?... next you will be telling that the Barbary Pirates brought their bees to our Great British Isles in a skep to trade for dusky Cornish Maidens!

To every question there is an answer... and in beekeepering there are 10 !

:winner1st::winner1st::winner1st:

From which peer reviewed documentation did you get your facts?... next you will be telling that the Barbary Pirates brought their bees to our Great British Isles in a skep to trade for dusky Cornish Maidens!

To every question there is an answer... and in beekeepering there are 10 !

:winner1st::winner1st::winner1st:

The Barbary Pirates had more sense....even then there were none worth having .. not worthy

Also just bear in mind that the first imports took place in 1814, 100 years before the epidemic and appearance of Brother Adam and the development of the Buckfast bee.

So, imports are not a recent event. The UK has been dependent upon imports for the last 100 years

To be honest the British have been importing their royalty for centuries and some have brought over bigger parasites than Varoa destructor! :D

To be honest the British have been importing their royalty for centuries and some have brought over bigger parasites than Varoa destructor! :D

French, Spanish, Dutch, Prussian.... but I was not aware that the mad monk imported any Russian?.... then history never was my strong point!!!

good queens is a core of good beekeeping. To many it seems to be an endles quell of jokes.

Best queens from Tamar Valley! The world does not know what it has lost.

.I have heard about German Brother Adam, but never about Tamar Valley Queens.

They are good. Vain to go to look them. It has been written about them so many times. True.

I have no doubt that many a man has thought he has been the first only to discover that he wasn't. /QUOTE]Quite so, whatever the early imports they were small numbers into a large established pool. After a previous thread. I looked through images of old bee journals. One of the most noticeable lines of correspondance from the 1880s and 90s is along the lines of "my new carniolans" are doing much better than my neighbours imports of Italians. Even if this was limited to the gentleman beekeepers who bought the journals it's clear that a reliable post service and the discovery of effective postal methods brought many imports. There are even ads for agents importing in numbers for redistribution.

Hi folks
I need a mated queen so i look online as you do but i came off feeling a little disheartend, due to the fact that so many are selling imports.

here i am thinking i need british ar more local type bee`s for the future of bee keeping in the uk.

like bee that will forage in bad weather, gentleness, open queen breeding but there is not a chance in hell. due to all the imports, can any one justify this.

Not the best place to look for a locally bred queen. Have you asked at your local association ?

immigrants spread disease eh?
Perhaps you could blame them for other stuff,perhaps they'll bring over a couple of Asian hornets and some hive beetles with them, then they could go round spraying neonics Where did all the queens come from after the Isle of Wight disease?
Unless of course you pretend it didn't reach Wales and Cornwall, who rant on about their black bees

What about bad husbandry,abandoned hives,for spreading disease

I support Britain through and through, but do grow up, the only healthy bees aren't British bees

immigrants spread disease eh?

They certainly do, TB was virtually wiped out to the point of children no longer being vaccinated in the UK

good queens is a core of good beekeeping. To many it seems to be an endles quell of jokes.

Best queens from Tamar Valley! The world does not know what it has lost.

.I have heard about German Brother Adam, but never about Tamar Valley Queens.

They are good. Vain to go to look them. It has been written about them so many times. True.

Well you probably would not have done because we do not breed and sell them all over the UK, let alone Europe!:icon_204-2:

good queens is a core of good beekeeping.
let alone Europe!:icon_204-2:

The world seems like than from Tamar Valley view...

What a giant of intelligence the world has lost...

FreeLily401.jpg

Last edited:
Strange choice of quote. Especially since you attribute it to Icanhopit, when in fact all but the last three words are your own.

Strange choice of quote. Especially since you attribute it to Icanhopit, when in fact all but the last three words are your own.

And you do not wonder Icanhopits words. What is his age?

If he is over 80 y, that is all right. Main things is that he breathes and farts.
But otherwise I wonder .

French, Spanish, Dutch, Prussian.... but I was not aware that the mad monk imported any Russian?.... then history never was my strong point!!!
Frederick II (German: Friedrich II.; 24 January 1712 – 17 August 1786) was King in Prussia(1740–1786) of the Hohenzollern dynasty.[1] He is best known for his brilliance in military campaigning and organization of Prussian armies. He became known as Frederick the Great (Friedrich der Große) and was nicknamed Der Alte Fritz ("Old Fritz"). He was a grandson of George I of Great Britain, and also a nephew of George II.

220px-Friedrich_Zweite_Alt.jpg

Frederick the Great
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"Prussia" > Preussen > used as a synonym in more or less educated circles for > Germany !!!
(definitely not "Russian"...)

Who's that "mad monk" ???

Regards
Reiner

Last edited:
Native ostriches walking in snow in Finland.
They have been here since last Ice Age-

30 km from my cottage place

kuu_001.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back