Imported queens

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Must be fitter than The Welsh, they can only catch sheep!
Cottaging may need explaining to Finny :D
VM

I hope that we don't have this problem as You.. We have carnies with some illegal intrusions of Italian ( hopefully short lived and not in large scale). What I say we are extremely happy with our grey bee and don't want to change a bit of it..

To some don't really think wrong, I meant on A.M. Ligustica. For Italians, they come a lot as a tourists at our shores and leave some cash. So they are, I would say welcome..
For a nationality.. I don't try to hide behind of it, I try to be a human then the rest..

Best regards..

Goran wrote:
We have carnies with some illegal intrusions of Italian ( hopefully short lived and not in large scale).
Why illegal? were they imported without veterinary certification?

As a EU member, if bees are imported from another EU country with all the correct paperwork, there is nothing Croatian officials can do to reject the import. The EU is not some sort of buffet where countries can choose the aspects they like and reject the ones that they don't.

Presumably Croatia itself will be keen to export queen bees to other EU countries in time.

Smuggling is quite common among beekeepers

Genemapping has revealed that there are killer bee Scutellata genes in USA which have never been in South America.

I knew a guy, who got genuine Caucasian queens from Soviet. Then he posted them to Mexico, from where they were driven across USA and then to Canada. There was a Caucasian queen breeder in Canada, whom my menthor assisted. That was 45 years ago.

Last edited:
Do you have any idea of the confusion you are causing?

Yeah, I know stupid question, of course you do.:rofl:

Chris

That's why God struck down the tower of Babel - if everyone shared the same tongue - then the fun of language difference confusion would never happen :D

Goran wrote:

As a EU member, if bees are imported from another EU country with all the correct paperwork, there is nothing Croatian officials can do to reject the import. The EU is not some sort of buffet where countries can choose the aspects they like and reject the ones that they don't.

Presumably Croatia itself will be keen to export queen bees to other EU countries in time.

If this is true, then we will have nothing special to export than present elsewhere.
Also as small beekeeper I am more interested to have carnies in my stock than will some benefit from export ( cause of the qualities they posses, and I accept them as they are).
For example, last year I got one queen from selection which seems have some ligustica genes ( yellow rings). More keen for robbing, and get me furious to see lot of brood in october ( we have continental winters). Luckily I had some frames with honey in reserve. If I didn't took a peak, who knows will it last till spring ( I doubt).
Carnies have brood stop and are rational with food ( not like "drunk rich man").. I don't have to worry much for overwintering. More problem is to guide them through spring development to get max of honey and least of swarms ( always on the edge of swarming)..
Maybe I as some with no great experience cannot see greater picture as You as queen grower. But this is my opinion for now, who knows maybe if I stay in beekeeping long enough will think as same as You. Man learn whole life..

Regards..

Carnies have brood stop and are rational with food ( not like "drunk rich man").. I don't have to worry much for overwintering. More problem is to guide them through spring development to get max of honey and least of swarms ( always on the edge of swarming)..

I have had 40 years Italoans and 10 years Carnis. I got enough about Carnies. They swarm when they ought to lay for main yield.

Otherwise they are very same as Italians. It depends on strains.

Latest posts

Back