Imported queens

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Could I just put in a word about the much maligned mongrel? Mine are very nice indeed very calm and only grumpy when there has been good reason, be it weather, queen situation or incompetent BK!

True this is my first year of honey (3rd year) and I certainly have not had as much honey as some others on here have reported, but then I have had only one real production colony the rest have been A/S ed to make up for losses last winter.

I do want to give amm a try but only for interest in the mean time I am very happy with my mongrels, I am in the fortunate position of never having a failed mating or a DLQ.......yet!

Could it be that the best bee of all is a well breed mongrel?

Tin Hat on …………

If you get a good mongrel then cherish it. Buckfast are a combination of lots of strains which is why the best can be good but when crossed with some of the miscreants some beeks keep can be a handful especially with the black AMM (Apis myth myth) bee which has a well recorded nasty streak .
S

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

She will get bigger again when being fed for laying, caged queens are no longer in lay (similar to a mated queen in swarming mode) so are not being fed to do so, they lose weight rapidly when caged...even for one day,

Explains why one I had from you suddenly appeared to be massive after a couple of weeks. Had I not marked her before introduction I'd not have believed she was the same lady.

If you get a good mongrel then cherish it. Buckfast are a combination of lots of strains which is why the best can be good but when crossed with some of the miscreants some beeks keep can be a handful especially with the black AMM (Apis myth myth) bee which has a well recorded nasty streak .
S

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

Total Boll8cks Sniffy... Black bees you are referring to are probably Carniolian... which look black to the ill informed

Don't stand too close to the pit your digging... you may fall in !:icon_204-2::icon_204-2::icon_204-2:

Total Boll8cks Sniffy... Black bees you are referring to are probably Carniolian... which look black to the ill informed

Don't stand too close to the pit your digging... you may fall in !:icon_204-2::icon_204-2::icon_204-2:
Iamanidiot
Having had Apis Myth Myth bees from one of the renowned advocates in the county, I think I have a little more knowledge Of this bee than a recent zealot who posts are boxxlks on a regular basis.
If you have the ability, try reading the accurate description regarding AMM which can be found by a very simple Google search which you seem very found of quoting from rather than having personal knowledge .They are DEFENSIVE!
Maybe a simple children's explanation of breeding may be in order for my retarded West Country cousin?
Nasty bee x nasty bee = nasty bee
Nasty bee x nice bee = possible nasty bee but may produce nice bee
Nice bee x nice bee = nice bee
S

Iamanidiot
Having had Apis Myth Myth bees from one of the renowned advocates in the county, I think I have a little more knowledge Of this bee than a recent zealot who posts are boxxlks on a regular basis.
If you have the ability, try reading the accurate description regarding AMM which can be found by a very simple Google search which you seem very found of quoting from rather than having personal knowledge .They are DEFENSIVE!
Maybe a simple children's explanation of breeding may be in order for my retarded West Country cousin?

S

Is that the definitive answer?

It seems unlikely in my experience that it's quite that simple, my bees can be aggressive, docile and every shade of mood in between depending on a range of circumstances many of which aren't clear including it would seem one spot where whatever colony is placed there becomes agressive - how bizarre is that?

Chris

Absolutely no call for that sort of language. Rein it in Stiffy.

I agree but apparently rudeness is now called being straight speaking as we see only too frequently on here, it's sad behaviour for a bee keeping forum and I can only assume that there are sometimes personal issues we don't know about, ill health, family or relationship difficulties.

Chris

Croatia is in the EU now. It is free trade, whether they like it or not.

Luckily for those who oppose imports, bees are such an insignificant (in financial terms) part of the picture that no one important will kick up a fuss when import restrictions get put in place to preserve native strains. This is especially true considering the powerhouse of Europe already has self imposed internal restrictions on bee movements, the science is on the side of avoiding polluting airspace with unsuitable foreign drones. AFAIK no triploid bees with unfertile drones are available.
Roll on the implementation of the stated wish of every BKA in the land (barring the BFA) to stop imports :)
It will happen sooner or later, it just needs a concerted push by our governing bodies, whether bee importers and their customers like it or not ;)

Luckily for those who oppose imports, bees are such an insignificant (in financial terms) part of the picture that no one important will kick up a fuss when import restrictions get put in place to preserve native strains. This is especially true considering the powerhouse of Europe already has self imposed internal restrictions on bee movements, the science is on the side of avoiding polluting airspace with unsuitable foreign drones. AFAIK no triploid bees with unfertile drones are available.
Roll on the implementation of the stated wish of every BKA in the land (barring the BFA) to stop imports :)
It will happen sooner or later, it just needs a concerted push by our governing bodies, whether bee importers and their customers like it or not ;)

So would you impose that on people, (perhaps like me), that wished to bring their pet bees with them should they wish to change countries?

I know my bees aren't really pets but that was for the big boys.

Chris

retarded West Country cousin?
S

That is very good.

Nasty is bee's natural and healthy fature. It needs it in nature.

Calm bee comes by human selection. It is gene error.

Nice x nice , if it is nasty, you just terminate it.
No one knows with whom they mate.

May the force be with beekeeper.
This is the end of nasty colony.

MayTheForceBeWithYou.jpg

So would you impose that on people, (perhaps like me), that wished to bring their pet bees with them should they wish to change countries?

I know my bees aren't really pets but that was for the big boys.

Chris

I'd be happy for you to bring your bees here if you neutered all your drones and guaranteed that your colonies wouldnt produce drones that caused rogue matings in the future :)

History suggests this would be difficult, they tried it with AHB (African honey bees) in Brazil and failed, causing far reaching problems for many areas in the Americas.

Last edited:
BRYANTHEBEE...here i am thinking i need british ar more local type bee`s for the future of bee keeping in the uk.[/B

[Appols for being skewed by the honey croppers who import 1000s of Ligurian variants into the county every year to make up the losses they incurr as the bees produce overseas are ok for UK summers but do not overwinter so well....]

Many will agree with you that a UK bred bee, developed or endemic, and suited for our environment is the future of beekeeping in the UK.

However there are also a few( you will have no doubt read the somewhat insulting and blinkered comments on this thread) who will disagree with your views.

Apis mellifera mellifera is not extinct in the UK, a myth propogated by followers of Bro.Adam of Buckfast Abbey who in 1915 lost all but 16 colonies of the 46 held there. The 16 remaining colonies had queens of Italian extraction ( Amm x Aml crosses)
Black bee populations within a few miles of the Abbey were also wiped out probably all from Isle of Wight disease ( One Thousand Years of Devon Beekeeping R H BROWN DBKA)

NEARLY 100 YEARS LATER THERE ARE I AM PLEASED TO SEE AN INCREASING NUMBER OF COLONIES OF CORNISH BLACK BEES...... all was not lost!

My final comment is that I am with you on buy local and buy British
Good Luck!​
:winner1st:

Off to our secret isolated mating apiary later with another 35 virgin Amm queens !

Last edited:
Greetings to all native bee and feral bee friends!

I saw last German Black Bees about 23 years ago. They were bad ( I )

Later I have had bad too. Elgon + Italian were bad even if parent hives were nice.

This summer I took a feral carniolan chimney swarm, and it has give as much stings than others together.

Once I mated queen with a "feral" colony which has been 8 years inside an empty dairy mill wall. Never again! Awfull.

Greetings to all native bee and feral bee friends!

I saw last German Black Bees about 23 years ago. They were bad ( I )

Later I have had bad too. Elgon + Italian were bad even if parent hives were nice.

This summer I took a feral carniolan chimney swarm, and it has give as much stings than others together.

Once I mated queen with a "feral" colony which has been 8 years inside an empty dairy mill wall. Never again! Awfull.

Thanks for your summary of your experiences of non indigenous bees in an area not considered as part of Apis melifera's natural habitat.

Iamanidiot

Having different opinions on which bee is best is fine, after all, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but the insults and ignorance shown here are beyond a joke.
Where has the "ignore" button gone ?

I think the arguments should stay. I'm sure I've become a better driver since I started getting my daily rubber necking fix on this forum:reddevil:

Latest posts

Back