LimeWatch UK

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Checked the hives under limes today. Had a quick look at the dozen or so lime trees within 100 yards of the hives. All in flower and hardly any p
ollinators on them....... not even a bumble!

They only produce nectar before 12am and in the evening
Providing the humidity is high !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

It was about 8am, I thought it would have been busy 😢
I've got to go and put some clearer boards on tomorrow evening, I'll have another look then.

Off to see the sites of mine with a lot of lime. To be fair it'll have to be a special flow to distract them from bramble which was pouring in yesterday .

I see plenty of yellow and khaki pollen going in at the moment. Yellow could be sweet chestnut as well. But something smells really sweet, so I assume that is lime. I usually have lime pollen in my honey.

Not quite ready to open here.

Attachments

• 2020-06-26 001 2020-06-26 001 (1280x960).jpg
    2020-06-26 001 2020-06-26 001 (1280x960).jpg
    543.9 KB · Views: 53
Lime finally blooming here, and only around a week earlier than usual. I'm surprised. Everything else has been weeks early. I even picked some wild blackberries yesterday. Unfortunately, the next few days are forecast to be rainy.

Last edited:
Lime finally blooming here, and only around a week earlier than usual. I'm surprised. Everything else has been weeks early. I even picked some wild blackberries yesterday. Unfortunately, the next few days are forecast to be rainy.

Bring it on. Drought in these parts. Rain will improve nectar yield.

Lime now in flower.
Raining steadily...

Ours is all over. Got a good mix with other flowers.
E

Lime finished flowering last week.
Raining steadily.
A lot of activity over the last couple of weeks. There are Common Limes around the park near some of my hives. A small-leaved lime is only a few yards away. It has been really crazy there, but nothing much today in the pouring rain. I think it's nearly finished for this season.

Privet honey is known in certain parts as "mother-in-law" honey as you give it to her when she demands a free jar. She rarely asks again after that. They say it tastes like "cat wee" but how do they know?

Lime trees have flowers developing in the south Birmingham, how about other areas of the country?

Ours are getting there. There seems to be loads more flowers on each tree this year. All the five year old limes in my garden have flowers.
E

Lime trees have flowers developing in the south Birmingham, how about other areas of the country?
My lime avenue is currently looking good. Loads of buds but not yet in flower. Probably ten days to go. They are all small leaved limes. Tilia cordata.

Latest posts

Back