LimeWatch UK

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's inevitable. The lime's about to flower in the park across the road, and the weather forecast is for a week of rain.

I can tell it's lime time by the rain: happens every year in the past four.

Does anyone know if there is a difference in terms of both regularity/reliability and also quantity of nectar yield between broad leaved lime and narrow leaved lime?

Does anyone know if there is a difference in terms of both regularity/reliability and also quantity of nectar yield between broad leaved lime and narrow leaved lime?
F N Howes in his classic book "Plants and Beekeeping" describes a number of different limes. Not sure it would answer your question but interesting about te difference between Small Leaved varieties and the others in their ability to manage wet weather.

Forgive th cheesy title but on a serious note, as lime is most likely to be my main flow locally I'm interested to see when flowers are opening across the UK. Most trees are covered in buds waiting to go but nothing here in North London as yet. Plenty of pollen going in but unsure what current forage is atm. Perhaps people can share when their Lime begins to buzz!

Ooh and hope everyone enjoys what is going to be a beautiful day :)

Hi, this is Huntingdonshire, Cambs- lime trees flowering here in last three days and my bees are on it!

First flush of flowers open today spotted and scented around Glastonbury Rural Life Museum. But rain stopped play for most of the day.

My trees are Tilia cordata, small leaved. All with good buds so expecting them to flower very shortly. Already slightly late this year as are many plants.

F N Howes in his classic book "Plants and Beekeeping" describes a number of different limes.
This book is essential reading.

Plants for Bees by William Kirk and FN Howes is the most comprehensive book on forage (and absorbed much of Howes' book, first published in 1945 and again in 1979) but Kirk edited the Howes and the original gives most on lime.

Abe books has a lovely copy at £12.

Lime in full flower in Suffolk. Amazing scent and the whole tree(s) buzzing!

Yes, an avenue of 12 lime trees in copious full flower adjacent to my main apiary - about 8 miles from you. The trees are probably 30-40 years old and I was told they're probably a hybrid of the type often sold for municipal planting.
BUT: I can only see a few bees on the blossoms and certainly no buzz, despite the fact that the adjacent hives were busy++.
It seems that not all limes are equal.

First of my lime trees in flower today. Just two out of fifty - but not all trees have very much bud. If the weather stays dry I might have a decent flow in a couple of days. Small leaved lime only seem to produce nectar from very early morning until around eleven. Gives the foragers a rest until next day but I suspect they then switch to bramble and clover again.

My lime trees have a real honey flow this year. I keep hearing this loud buzzing noise and SWMBO was certain that a hive had swarmed yesterday.
It is the bumble bees who are enjoying the nectar. My honey bees are ignoring it in favour of the Magnolia Grandiflora just down the road.

Lime trees in full flower here in Holywood. All hives sounding like a train untill late at night, looks like we will get some honey this year!!!

Lime trees nearly finished when I walked through the local graveyard adjacent to the local Lime Walk..

Latest posts

Back