LimeWatch UK

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a lime tree approx 20 mtrs from my hives...There are also several very large, mature lime trees "up" our local park, which is approx 800 mtrs away from the hives..During reclamation work on a local coal waste tip and changing the course of the river back to it's original bed, they planted a lot of lime trees and sweet chestnuts..

Last edited:
Yes they are Paul, the bees are working on them....And the Parky is complaining that he cant park his car under the trees because of the "sticky mess" They are 40 + feet tall....4 years ago I had 400 pound plus of lime honey from 2 hives.. Had difficulty selling it because the locals thought it didn't taste like "proper honey"...

Lots of limes out, and in different stages of flowering, lots of bees on them, even during the stormy rain we have had today.

....4 years ago I had 400 pound plus of lime honey from 2 hives..
In my second season beekeeping I had a large crop (~300 lb) from one hive. It's never happened again since. I'm now wondering if that was 'the' year that the limes yielded here. Usually (like this year) I never see a bee on them.

I saw a copy of FN Howes book for sale at £80 last week.

Chancers.

What did you pay, Adam? £8-15 was usual online, although I notice that £20 and up is now common. The first edition is lovely to hold, but the 1979 reprint (with a colour photo cover) is just as good.

Even T. europaea staggers its flowering time (in Hackney some are in full flower, some less than half a mile away still in bud) and with the rain and high temps. next week, it could be good. Up in rural Epping in the walled garden at Copped Hall, the gardeners told me that at 8.30am the bees were very busy. Early morning (5am onwards) seems to produce the goods.

I have a lime tree approx 20 mtrs from my hives...There are also several very large, mature lime trees "up" our local park, which is approx 800 mtrs away from the hives..During reclamation work on a local coal waste tip and changing the course of the river back to it's original bed, they planted a lot of lime trees and sweet chestnuts..

Any idea which type of lime tree? Some years ago I bought five small leaf English Lime from my local garden centre. They suggested these were the best option for successful establishment. To date I've never seen a bee even sniff them.

So I went to one site where they are limes nearby today, I was looking forward to a lot of fresh nectar in the supers after the recent rains. Instead only the bumblebees and hover flies were making use of the limes. I don’t understand why they were making use of it but the honey bees were not, slightly frustrating. I assume not enough of a flow?

Bumbles reach the parts honeybees can’t!!

I don’t understand why they were making use of it but the honey bees were not, slightly frustrating. I assume not enough of a flow?

You may find that one morning the scouts turned left instead of right and found more productive trees elsewhere. Bumbles have longer tongues than honey bees but I can't believe that hoverflies have the same advantage, so access to the nectar in your trees cannot be the issue.

When I had them near me everyone kept coming in saying there was a swarm of bees in the lime trees. You couldn't miss the hummmmmmmmmm!

I just passed by the lime trees down the road from my apiary (~100 m). There is still the heavy scent but one tree has almost finished flowering and the other is showing signs of going over. Again, not a bee seen on either.

I've a mind to go down there at the dead of night and cut the bl**dy things down. At least then there wouldn't be the annual lime disappointment.

I just passed by the lime trees down the road from my apiary (~100 m). There is still the heavy scent but one tree has almost finished flowering and the other is showing signs of going over. Again, not a bee seen on either.

I've a mind to go down there at the dead of night and cut the bl**dy things down. At least then there wouldn't be the annual lime disappointment.

In answer to your earlier question, this, exactly...

i.e., the answer is "no" but I am looking for hope....

Checked the hives under limes today. Had a quick look at the dozen or so lime trees within 100 yards of the hives. All in flower and hardly any pollinators on them....... not even a bumble!

Latest posts

Back