Light at the end of the tunnel !!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
40 Plus
Another powerful gale due in tonight after first fall of snow .... Cannot wait for those first warming spring Rays..... To give us all hope

Sun climbed to 15 degrees today from low of 13, sets here today @ 4.33pm from low of 4.06 on winter solstice..... At least we're heading in the right direction !!!

See hazel catkins out woohooo :)

Saw hazel out in Norwich today, but ours are still bud. Willow is starting to move, the fuss of the catkins visible.

Bees flying and bringing in some whitish pollen which I presume is hazel, probably coming from a wood 1/2 mile away.

I'm still in the tunnel.....Snow caught me out....
I slid the car into one in front of me and now my car has to go to hospital next week :(

I slid the car into one in front of me and now my car has to go to hospital next week :(

Hope everyone's fine, orrible weather here today.
I'm going to go to bed early and snuggle up under the duvet.

Cloudburst this morning - drains couldn't take it so I had a lake by the back door for a while - them snow off and on all day - did an impressive uphill skid this evening on the way to the BKA AGM - looks like even the council were caught out, looks like SWMBO will be working from home tomorrow as well - glad I tidied the shed up now!

Hope you're OK EricA - it's a horrible feeling when you see the inevitable unfold before it does.

The trick is not to look at what you are going to hit, but at the gap you want to go through... Far easier said than done, but amazingly satisfying when you pull it off. Just think of this incident as practice :)

Derek ---- crashed many many many times...

Ha Ha....no gap to aim for this time.
However, I remember once driving slowly down a snowy hill to be met with a large lorry coming up. Stupidly I touched the brakes but hey presto the car did a 180˚ turn and I chugged on up the hill in front of the lorry. :)

In the garden I have in flower Hellebore, primrose, Cyclamen, snowdrop and spring heather, plus fully expanded catkins. This is at 170m in the Cotswolds, in the bottom of a valley. I don't think my bees have really clustered for more than a couple of days all winter. I think that so far we are even earlier than last year - when I was dealing with sealed swarm cells on Maundy Thursday (17 Apr). Better be prepared for swarming in March, maybe - but remarks like that are tempting fate; still plenty of time to be snowed in

Snow here this am.. Not even a snowdrop out..

As always, the UK climate consists of lots of micro-climates - often very different...

Hives in snow

I noticed that (despite being OMF) the entrances were already open. Presumably this is the heat from the cluster melting the snow... a good sign :)

Maybe just not enough snow? Wind blowing up through the OMF?
The cluster shouldn't be anywhere near the entrance to be heating it.

First yellow Crocus showing themselves in the back garden, and a few of the mauve specie ones.

Latest posts

Back