Possible Winter losses - depressed!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
With 14x12 BBs mine tend to cluster in the bottom when temps drop. If I was you I would bin the clear crown boards to stop you getting anxious over nothing.

Yes. Stetoscope listening only disturbs hives. And it is same as you lift the roof from hive. Colony will notice that every time. But if it is dead, it is dead.
And if the colony is very small, it does not became bigger wirh stetoscope. Lift the super, and you see them in a second.

I have measured the temp of disturbed hive in winter. Temp rises to 40C from 23C and it takes 24 hours to be normal again.

Last edited:
How on earth does using a stethoscope disturb a hive? Next you will be saying we shouldn't heft because that causes too much disturbance.

Yes, knowing if a colony is dead doesn't bring it back but I for one like to know the status of my stock.

Endoscopes will do the trick for you if that is your fancy, but get one with a small bending radius. IR camera will work, too. Even the great man Finman has posted IR images before now, IIRC? A simple surface reading pyrometer might be sufficient.

One thing is for certain, there are better ways than disturbing the cluster by opening or banging the hive.

Surely you are better knowing if a colony is dead? Its no good saying well , you cant do anything about it, because you can. You can clean the hive out & maybe find out why they died, rather than leave it all to rot untill spring. If there is disease you are better sorting it now rather than wait untill spring when bees are flying again.

I agree. If colony dies out from Nosema and you don't close hive entrnace then robbing could spread it. I keep bees on double broods and often can't see the bees at this time of year as they are deep down mainly in the bottom BC. If I can't see the bees and wonder if they are still alive I just blow down the seams and listen for the buzzing that invariably results (I think it is the CO2 in the breath that triggers it). I trickle oxalic using a piece of plastic tubing (as used in fish tanks ) attached to the end of the syringe to reach them.

I agree. If colony dies out from Nosema and you don't close hive entrnace then robbing could spread it. I keep bees on double broods and often can't see the bees at this time of year as they are deep down mainly in the bottom BC. If I can't see the bees and wonder if they are still alive I just blow down the seams and listen for the buzzing that invariably results (I think it is the CO2 in the breath that triggers it). I trickle oxalic using a piece of plastic tubing (as used in fish tanks ) attached to the end of the syringe to reach them.

ah, that's useful to know, how to reach the bees with a syringe..

it's really, If I've had two colonies die out - WHY!? Assess what am I doing wrong.

and so quickly, in two weeks, and if so where did all the bees go...

I wasn't going to open and start looking, I was just going to see any evidence of activity, on these two quiet hives.

torch, listening, watching on warm day, inspection board these are things I can do.

but if the consensus, that they disappear down somewhere, that's fine....

Just surprised last year, they were always at the top, but different bees, colonies etc

I checked more last winter, this year I've been more hands off, and the apiary is not in my garden, so do not see the hives every day...before work

Just a quick tip. If your bees are at the top of the hive then beware, they are likely to be reaching the end of their stores.
E

enrico Just a quick tip. If your bees are at the top of the hive then beware, they are likely to be reaching the end of their stores.
E
With an OMF and top insulation the bees are under the crown board when I,ve dribbled the oxalic acid.
They all have plenty of stores.
Alec

That's been my experience too, especially with a well insulated hive.
The only way you can tell is to heft/weigh.

I agree. I have perspex crownboards and Kingspan. The warmest place is immediately below the Perspex and the bees usually form a pancake-shaped layer ... very easy to dribble the OA through.

Ok.......ignore my tip then it's obviously a load of rubbish. Another myth explodes! :)
Sorry!
E

I agree with you enrico, every time I open the hive in winter they are way down the box

Last year they had plenty of stores and I saw them most times at the top. Off tomorrow with inspection boards, new stethoscope, flash light etc

Be thinking of you Andy. Fingers crossed.

Latest posts

Back