Possible Winter losses - depressed!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Be thinking of you Andy. Fingers crossed.

Thanks...

After checking last week, returned to check three colonies, that I could not see any bees through clear crown boards last week. Took down, three inspection boards to put in, flash light, new Stethoscope to listen to bees.

on approaching one of the suspect hives with my new Stethoscope, I was greeted immediately by the girls, by 50 bees pouring out of the entrance, and two or three "buzzed me!", re-treated!

No need for Stethoscope! continued to check reaming hives with Stethoscope, not conclusive, and couldn't hear anything, maybe I'm deaf!

after the 50 bees went in, checked their hive, couldn't hear any bees in that!

I decided, there was no point removing the straps, roofs and insulation to check with flash light at this point, saw a few bees (1-3) coming and going from the other two suspect colonies.

So I was just going to insert inspection boards, only to find, that these inspection boards, were too large for Thornes Budget floors, I'd brought the wrong ones down from the Bee shed! (damn!).

So, what have I learned, like I tell my clients, and maybe I should take a page out of my own book, about IT issues, with the Cloud Stuff we do, BE PATIENT!

I need to go back to get the inspection boards in to count varroa drop... in the morning this week.. (and may get my bee suit on and gloves!)

instead of fleece jacket, hat and gloves!

I still don't get clear crown boards !

I got them as a "novice" because was told handy for checking stores over the winter, without removing solid crown boards, but I feel they may be more a "worrying hindrance!"

and next year will think about removal of them, as all hives were successfully fed, and weighed, and hefted since....

"I still don't get clear crown boards "

I enjoy having a glazed coverboard; they are great for casual visitors/honey customers though not much practical value - and need careful winter insulation.

If really anxious the OP could take a flash photo upwards through the OMF if the stand is high enough. I did it a few years ago in January and could see the bottom of the cluster across 3-4 frames but nothing looking down through the glazed coverboard

"I still don't get clear crown boards "

I enjoy having a glazed coverboard; they are great for casual visitors/honey customers though not much practical value - and need careful winter insulation.
More rerason for only using them in the summer - no need for casual visitors/honey customers in the winter

[Qd aUOTE=jenkinsbrynmair;452977]More rerason for only using them in the summer - no need for casual visitors/honey customers in the winter[/QUOTE]

My Crownboards are perspex with a 25mm frame on one side, a 6mm frame on the other for beespace and a 25mm diameter central hole which is normally covered with a disc of plastic except when feeding with a rapid feeder. I have 25mm sheets of kingspan that fit snugly into the 25mm eke side for winter and 25mm thick kingspan hive cozy's. I really don't see any overriding argument for not using clear crownboards. A little self discipline ensure no disturbance.

I checked my hives yesterday morning, Very cold about 3 degC. We have had nearly tow weeks of nightly heavy frosts. Just a quick heft, all extremely heavy, a quick tap in the side, silence from every hive, not a murmur. Looking across the OMF there were a few dead bees, not many. They are all on double brood. To be honest I am not worried, I assume they are OK. I remember from last year that in very cold weather the bees did not respond to a tap on the side of the box.

I checked my hives yesterday morning, Very cold about 3 degC. We have had nearly tow weeks of nightly heavy frosts. Just a quick heft, all extremely heavy, a quick tap in the side, silence from every hive, not a murmur. Looking across the OMF there were a few dead bees, not many. They are all on double brood. To be honest I am not worried, I assume they are OK. I remember from last year that in very cold weather the bees did not respond to a tap on the side of the box.

You have to press your ear flat to the side of the hive to hear them! Unless your hearing is still virginal, unlike mine!
E

In winter, I just put my ear to the hive and knock a time or two. They'll give a resounding buzz if they're in there.

Shhhh! Another tapper! There's those on here that think you are killing your bees........;)
E

tbh what's the point in disturbing them in cold weather anyway as there's nothing we can do about it?

.......better to live in hope and invariably they manage to survive

tbh what's the point in disturbing them in cold weather anyway as there's nothing we can do about it?

.......better to live in hope and invariably they manage to survive

:iagree:
it's like the front few rows of an orchestra - too many fiddlers

Latest posts

Back