License needed to purchase Oxalic acid?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you click on the sub title "do I need a license" and then tick appropriate boxes, it does not look like any trade, business users will need a license anyway, so not really a problem.
Maybe not a problem to buy, but that doesn't stop it being an offence to use it as a bee veterinary medicine?

Maybe not a problem to buy, but that doesn't stop it being an offence to use it as a bee veterinary medicine?

Not an offence if used via the cascade system, same as Apivar/Biowar500 can be used.

But it is better to just use it for cleaning the woodwork, is there a law against that?

As Derekm already posted : It will be an offence for a member of the general public to possess it after march next year . This applies no matter where you get it from (ie not just pharmacists) or what you use it for (that includes wood cleaning) if you don't have license
see

https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...ome-users-of-poisons-and-explosive-precursors

Whether they grant you a license or not takes into account your criminal record and mental condition (could that apply to any members of this forum I wonder?)

You must notify the Home Office immediately, if there has been any change in your mental health condition and/or a condition relating to substance misuse that may affect your ability to safely possess and use the substances specified on the licence.

If you receive a criminal conviction, you must inform the Home Office without undue delay. This includes motoring offences, binding overs, formal written warnings and cautions and convictions in or outside Great Britain. Details of parking offences and fixed penalty notices are exempt.

They only have to prosecute one of us and I bet that even the most stubborn forum members (& you know who you are) will soon comply no matter how they shrug it off at the moment. The odds are that another beekeeper that you upset in your area will shop you (thats whats happened in the past regarding cases where beekeepers have been prosecuted over selling foreign honey labelled as their own or selling honey of a specific floral type when it wasn't).

Last edited:
It will be an offence for a member of the general public to possess it no matter where you get it if you don't have license
see

Not if they buy it from a vet for bee treatment through the cascade system.

Last edited:
Time for a poll, who has, who hasn't and who won't, and who will march outside number 10 :ohthedrama:

As Derekm already posted : It will be an offence for a member of the general public to possess it after march next year . This applies no matter where you get it from (ie not just pharmacists) or what you use it for (that includes wood cleaning) if you don't have license
see

https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...ome-users-of-poisons-and-explosive-precursors

Whether they grant you a license or not takes into account your criminal record and mental condition (could that apply to any members of this forum I wonder?)

You must notify the Home Office immediately, if there has been any change in your mental health condition and/or a condition relating to substance misuse that may affect your ability to safely possess and use the substances specified on the licence.

If you receive a criminal conviction, you must inform the Home Office without undue delay. This includes motoring offences, binding overs, formal written warnings and cautions and convictions in or outside Great Britain. Details of parking offences and fixed penalty notices are exempt.

They only have to prosecute one of us and I bet that even the most stubborn forum members (& you know who you are) will soon comply no matter how they shrug it off at the moment. The odds are that another beekeeper that you upset in your area will shop you (thats whats happened in the past regarding cases where beekeepers have been prosecuted over selling foreign honey labelled as their own or selling honey of a specific floral type when it wasn't).

It will work as well as the legislation about using a mobile phone when driving a car. And if there is persecution, the remaining users will just hide their kit and lie low..

see

:rolleyes:

I can see this will give countless hours of synchronised hand wringing and sanctimonious 'holier than though' diatribes over on 'the dark side' :D

Seems to be Italian propaganda. They are going to sell oxalic acid water to UK in future too. 96% Italian water.

Do we go to bee trade fayres as members of the public or as beekeepers. We keep bees are we members of the public or trade? I sell honey am I a member of the public or a trader? Also will there be an amnesty to hand Oxalic acid into police stations, like the knife amnesty?

will there be an amnesty to hand Oxalic acid into police stations

No, as it's a Home office regulation it will be easier to hand it in to your local Home Office Immigration Enforcement office - it's near the DVLA not far from the crematorium so convenient for incineration.
I'm there every Friday :D

Back