License needed to purchase Oxalic acid?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think I know why oxalic acid is on the list as it becomes explosive when mixed with certain oxidising agents and also with certain silver compounds (you would have to be a rich terrorist to use silver compounds)

Then you are wrong - it's listed as a poison, not an explosives precursor such as peroxide etc.

I think I know why oxalic acid is on the list as it becomes explosive when mixed with certain oxidising agents

You obviously know more than they do as well, as they only have it listed in the poisons section, but not in the explosives section.

Funnily enough - OA was one of the few things we didn't get to play with in bomb making classes I'm sure I would have remembered that.

Reminds me of the days spent at Bovisand... blowing bits off the Louis Sheed... and the mast off the James Egan Layne as far as my memory serves!
Lot of stunned fish floating in the Sound the day we took out a WW11 1000lb thing with fins still attached.

:nono:.. O ...A... and up she rises!not worthy

Yeghes da

Is Hivemakers Thymol syrup also illegal ? (or maybe it already was/is)

I think its time to become a no chemical/treatment beek so no records are needed.

charlievictorbravo: There is exemption for approved / registered veterninary medicinal products containing chemicals on the poisons list . So Apibioxal is covered and at the moment this is the only product containing oxalic acid that can be legally administered to bees.

Thanks for that but can you find Chapter and Verse for that because I found in Part 1 of the Schedule of Exemptions of The Control of Poisons and Explosives Precursors Regulations 2015 the following: “medicated animal feeding stuff” means an animal feeding stuff in which a medicinal product has been incorporated or in which a substance other than a medicinal product has been incorporated for a medicinal purpose (and the terms “medicinal product”, “animal” and “medicinal purpose” have the same meanings as in Part 1 of the Human Medicines Regulations 2012(b)). Although that comes close to what you wrote it is not talking about veterinary medicine, only 'medicated animal feeding stuff', which is slightly different.

I'm not trying to be pedantic but if we start on a basis of fact, then we can all proceed knowing the rules. We can decide whether we intend, as some clearly intend, to ignore the law or to comply with it.

As an aside, if I were intending to ignore the law, I don't think I'd be shouting it from the rooftops on a public forum and I'd advise others to think before they write, especially those employed by the government in any sort of enforcement role.

CVB

Funnily enough - OA was one of the few things we didn't get to play with in bomb making classes I'm sure I would have remembered that.

You're right, the Oxalic Acid is listed in the 'poisons' section not the 'explosives precursors' section. They say they will review the two lists in two years so OA may be removed at that time.

Incidentally, there was a public consultation exercise about this new legislation and only 81 people responded. Doesn't say much for the publicity they gave the exercise, does it?

CVB

Oxalic acid is not "approved animal medicine" in Europen Union. But European Union itself has recommended it in beekeeping. And the stuff, like many others, have been used before Varroa Group made its recommendations.

Then there are laws, that you may put what ever into you hives, but you cannot sell the honey from the hive.

There are too orders, that you cannot sell some drugs in Europe, like Fumidil B against Nosema.

That social game, " oxalic acid is against law ", it has been played as long as this forum has existed. Lets play it. It is a nice game.

Last edited:
I wonder if some one makes a crime with hammer, do we need them "hammer using licence" worth £39.90 ?

You're right, the Oxalic Acid is listed in the 'poisons' section not the 'explosives precursors' section. They say they will review the two lists in two years so OA may be removed at that time.

Incidentally, there was a public consultation exercise about this new legislation and only 81 people responded. Doesn't say much for the publicity they gave the exercise, does it?

CVB

Once again it seems the Home Office has asked the wrong questions and got the wrong answers !

Mytten da

Once again it seems the Home Office has asked the wrong questions and got the wrong answers !

Mytten da

A strange country. Everything is leagal issue. No one know nothing. Retired private dedectives everywhere. Even this forum has 8,5 dedectives, which seek for mistakes in words that alternate thinkers could be banned.

Once upon a time Finland had morality policemen, but where are they now?

Last edited:
Just a thought. If the only approved oxalic treatment is ApiBioxal, where do we stand with trickling the stuff, homemade or otherwise? I apologise if I've missed something.
:hairpull::hairpull::hairpull:

Last edited:
Domino : It is illegal for a licence holder to pass poisons and restricted substances on to a third party. Also there are tight regulations on the disposal of such substances. All these regulations are to protect the public at large. I think I know why oxalic acid is on the list as it becomes explosive when mixed with certain oxidising agents and also with certain silver compounds (you would have to be a rich terrorist to use silver compounds)

How do companies comply with this then, do all the employees need to have all their own licenses?

Just a thought. If the only approved oxalic treatment is ApiBioxal, where do we stand with trickling the stuff, homemade or otherwise?

Illegal, as it always has been if used as a varroa treatment.

The only legal oxalic treatment to trickle or sublimate is Apibioxal.

Just a thought. If the only approved oxalic treatment is ApiBioxal, where do we stand with trickling the stuff, homemade or otherwise? :hairpull::hairpull::hairpull:

If it's sold premixed with a less than 10% w/w solution you are golden.

Back