License needed to purchase Oxalic acid?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What about your football hooligans. What happened to them? Free medication or what?

Although related these are different substances. Does it say phenol related compound somewhere in your link - I could not find it if there is.

It says....Phenols (phenol; phenolic isomers of the following: cresols, xylenols, monoethylphenols) except in substances containing less than 60% weight of phenols.

If you click on the sub title "do I need a license" and then tick appropriate boxes, it does not look like any trade, business users will need a license anyway, so not really a problem.

so not really a problem.

Glad you are on the ball HM !

Thought we were gonna have to "go commando" with our bees for one moment!

Yeghes da

so not really a problem for hivemaker and other beefarmers

Amateur beekeepers however will need a license as their beekeeping is not considered a trade or business.

oxalic acid isnt that poisonous it take 20 + gms to kill someone (LD50 350mg /kg)
a load of people in the phillipines got it instead of sugar by mistake. Is that why its on the list?

you could argue that ethylene glycol would have to be on there as well

oxalic acid isnt that poisonous it take 20 + gms to kill someone (LD50 350mg /kg)
a load of people in the phillipines got it instead of sugar by mistake. Is that why its on the list?

you could argue that ethylene glycol would have to be on there as well

Well yes. There is allot of things that you could think why that but this if you really wanted to.

I am a chemist and could easily do the preparation in one of the videos posted earlier but I certainly would not put it anywhere near my bees as its going to be contaminated by all sorts of side products.
I certainly would not recommend anybody starts trying to make their own from sugar. The Brown gas given off is extremely dangerous and needs a very good fume cupboard.

I was thinking that ethylene glycol was the same level of toxicity and it actually kills by the same method. The glycol metabolise to oxalic acid

In short, it is an offence to buy Oxalic Acid without a £39 licence under the amendment to the Poisons Act, enforceable by the Police. It's also an offence to use it as a bee veterinary medicine under the Veterinary Medicines Regulations (enforceable by the the NBU) as well as an offence under the Poisons Act if used without a licence with enforcement again by the Police.

That's clear but what is not so obvious is whether Apibioxal, which is about 90% Oxalic Acid, will require a £39 Poisons LIcence to purchase and use - there does not appear to be an exemption in the new regs for products like Apibioxal.

This appears to be a typical case of the left hand of government not knowing what the right hand is doing. It would be a real b*gger if, because of the new poisons regulations, the NBU had to withdraw the Apibioxal approval or require beekeepers to buy a £39 licence to buy the stuff after the recent fanfare of its approval.

Trouble is, if you don't know the answer you're likely to get, it's probably not a good idea to ask the question!

CVB

And bleach? just another way for the government to get £39. If you intend selling the stuff then I would agree.
Why do supermarkets display all cleaning products on the bottom shelves where kiddies can get their hands on it, surely this is the area that governing bodies should look at or is this not politically correct.

In short, it is an offence to buy Oxalic Acid without a £39 licence under the amendment to the Poisons Act, enforceable by the Police.

Unless you are a business user, then no license is needed.

But if you wanted it to poison someone and were not a business user you would need a license to buy it, or you could buy oxalic without a license from any bee supply company in the form of apibioxal, and use that for the poisoning legally.

Last edited:
Unless you are a business user, then no license is needed.

But if you wanted it to poison someone and were not a business user you would need a license to buy it, or you could buy oxalic without a license from any bee supply company in the form of apibioxal, and use that for the poisoning legally.

:icon_204-2:

Well you wouldnnot want to do that illegally would you but the price of it might make you think twice

so not really a problem for hivemaker and other beefarmers

Amateur beekeepers however will need a license as their beekeeping is not considered a trade or business.

OK ... define AMATEUR beekeeper....

As soon as the beekeeper offers any bee related product for sale, shirley he is an amateur no more!

Another idealistic bit of leglislation and fanny law!

Must remember to get the longbow out and grease it ready for the COMPULSORY practice on the village green tomorrow!

charlievictorbravo: There is exemption for approved / registered veterninary medicinal products containing chemicals on the poisons list . So Apibioxal is covered and at the moment this is the only product containing oxalic acid that can be legally administered to bees.

So Apibioxal is covered and at the moment this is the only product containing oxalic acid that can be legally administered to bees.

Unless you use oxalic prescribed by a vet via the cascade system, same as with Apivar or Biowar 500.

The wording includes POSSESS so after march, what oxalic you have in your shed will be illegal.

strange no restrictions to grow wolfs bane.

I use Oxallic acid to clean rust marks from my vintage yacht's sails.

Asked our chandlers if they were aware of any licensing requirements, reply is unprintable!

Yeghes da

The wording includes POSSESS so after march, what oxalic you have in your shed will be illegal.

Unless your a business user, then it will not be, nor will any license be required.

Hmmm
The usual British pastime of wringing their hands about needless legislation and revelling in telling everyone what they will not be allowed to do in future.
Looks like the Home office will be dragging out all their explosives officers to go around apiaries looking for illicit hoards of Oxalic.
I wonder if they'll pay for an official issue beesuit? :D

I use Oxallic acid to clean rust marks from my vintage yacht's sails.

Asked our chandlers if they were aware of any licensing requirements, reply is unprintable!

Yeghes da

+1

except no yacht with sails here: that's for the idle rich :icon_204-2:

Back