Labels

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As ever the devil is in the details.

One persons straining is letting the honey run through a double stainless strainer, anothers is flash heating and pumping through a medium and then cooling on the other side. Both claim to be straining but in my thoughts only one actually is.

PH

How will you deal with the batch number issue? I assume you don't get 5K labels printed all with the same batch number - or do you?

Batch number are being printed 1 - 3000, so each label will have separated numbers, not really a 'Batch' but an individual number.

Yes, produce not product.

WRONG

Product of UK is the correct wording to use.
2015 Honey regs do not use the word produce in the document,

BUT is does say that the country of origin must be stated...... hardly worth mentioning unless packers are selling blends... bit like Yorkshire tea!

Mytten da

strain1 DEFINITION.

verb
gerund or present participle: straining
force (a part of one's body or oneself) to make an unusually great effort.
"I stopped and listened, straining my ears for any sound"
pour (a mainly liquid substance) through a porous or perforated device or material in order to separate out any solid matter.
https://tinyurl.com/y839g6xh

Definition of filter (Entry 1 of 2)
1a : a porous article or mass (as of paper or sand) through which a gas or liquid is passed to separate out matter in suspension

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/filter

I doubt there is any difference in law...

I think there is - From the honey regulations:

Filtered honey
14.—(1) A person trading in filtered honey must use the name “filtered honey” in trade as the name of the product.

(2) A person must not use the name “filtered honey” in trade as the name of a product if the product is not filtered honey.

(3) A person trading in filtered honey must not provide information relating to the floral, vegetable, regional, territorial or topographical origin of the product or specific quality criteria for the product.

10. No pollen or constituent particular to honey may be removed except where this is unavoidable in the removal of foreign inorganic or organic matter.

11. Paragraph 10 does not apply to filtered honey.

...or from the EU directive:

viii) filtered honey
Honey obtained by removing foreign inorganic or organic matter in such a way as to result in the significant
removal of pollen

WRONG

2015 Honey regs do not use the word produce in the document, ...

I think 'produce' is mostly used in cases of yield - such as honey, grain; and

'product' in cases of manufactured goods - 'a thing produced by an action'.

As for honey labels - I don't know if it matters which word is used. I use 'Produce of Scotland'.

I think 'produce' is mostly used in cases of yield - such as honey, grain; and

'product' in cases of manufactured goods - 'a thing produced by an action'.

As for honey labels - I don't know if it matters which word is used. I use 'Produce of Scotland'.

When and if Scotland leaves the UK you can do one of two things

If you remain in the EU then the EU honey regs will apply... ie you could use Product id Scotland ( NOT PRODUCE)
If you leave the EU.. some other legislation from the Scottish Parliament will apply.

Honey regs for the UK ( as we are still in the EU) do not actually state what wording you chose to use.... and in the real world ... does it matter!

Yeghes da

You can enter the County. The Regulations simply state what must be included on the label. They do not prohibit adding any other words.

Honey regulations (Wales/England/Scotland)2015 and the EC honey directives:

(4) The product name of a relevant honey may be supplemented by information relating to its regional, territorial or topographical origin

This is also worth noting - all from COUNCIL DIRECTIVE 2001/110/EC (Honey)

The particular
consumer interests as regards the geographical characteristics
of honey and full transparency in this regard
necessitate that the country of origin where the honey
has been harvested should be included in the labelling.

4. (a) the country or countries of origin where the honey has
been harvested shall be indicated on the label.

However, if the honey originates in more than one
Member State or third country that indication may be
replaced with one of the following, as appropriate:
— ‘blend of EC honeys’,
— ‘blend of non-EC honeys’,
— ‘blend of EC and non-EC honeys’.

Nowhere
in the honey regulations, EC honey directives, or even Directive 2000/13 does it stipulate that the country of origin (If within the community) must be the name of the member state (in our case - UK) in fact, it rather infers that as long as the name is commonly known, then it is acceptable.

WRONG

2015 Honey regs do not use the word produce in the document,

to use your word - WRONG

The honey regs are just interpretations of the EU directives and cannot override them
produce of and produced are used in the EC directives, and are acceptable to use in labelling

Last edited by a moderator:
I am with JBM Trading Standards are very happy with Produce of Wales, in all the years I've sold honey, they have never told me to change the wording. You may have a Jobsworth TS in Cornwall. Maybe I should call my honey 'Nature's Honey' as nature intended with nature's impurities. That will go down a storm! It contains pollen, algae and bee hair. :biggrinjester:

Last edited by a moderator:
Was just a passing comment from Cornwall TS on my labels from way back in the last half of the last century...

What is all the fuss about... silly season?

Nadelik Lowen

A number of members here have asked me to design their labels, I am more than happy to do this, PM me if you would like me to offer this. I can also arrange printing, either on reels or sheets. The design is sent as a print ready pdf.

Last edited:
A commercial beekeeper I know sells 'Raw Welsh Honey' and has no country of origin on the label.

Hill top and many others label their honey as "Raw" . Holland and Barrett sell various Raw honeys.
Seems to be a lot more acceptable than people say.

A number of members here have asked me to design their labels, I am more than happy to do this, PM me if you would like me to offer this. I can also arrange printing, either on reels or sheets. The design is sent as a print ready pdf.

A big shout out for NM for all his kind assistance in developing my labels to such a high professional standard. I am over the moon with the design we came up with such that I'm confident my packaging now is to a standard that will only enhance the quality of my product even more.

Thanks Brian

H

A big shout out for NM for all his kind assistance in developing my labels to such a high professional standard. I am over the moon with the design we came up with such that I'm confident my packaging now is to a standard that will only enhance the quality of my product even more.

Thanks Brian

H

Thank you for giving me the opportunity to develop your branding.

Nice one Brian, do you do a matching tamper proof seal

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

I now have an advert posted in the For Sale section of this site, this contain some more information regarding a bespoke label design and printing of labels. Feel free to pop along and read it.

Latest posts

Back