Honey Jar Labels ???

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shudderdun

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I have never really needed to buy honey labels before, I have previously designed my own and printed them off. which can be a bit fiddly.
However so far this season I have had a bumper crop and will probably go down the road of purchasing my lables.
Can anyone recommend a label printing company, obviously there is Thorns, but I am open to options ! Thanks.

Should have mentioned, I am looking at around 300 (a bumper crop for me, might be a spit in the ocean for other members !!!!)

obviously there is Thorns
There are far better alternatives to designs that are 40 years behind the times.

Thorne have no idea how a label can elevate or reduce the perception of the product, and most were designed when honey was under-valued and low in price.

Consider your market - not just this year, but the next few - and if you don't have a design contact, print companies such as Fast Labels will guide you from start to finish.

A cheap black and white laser printer was loads cheaper for me in the long run.
I agree Enrico. Since my colour laser printer bit the dust and I bought a black and white printer, I really like the clean look of b/w against the golden honey. David (The Apiarist) uses black and white and I was impressed so gave it a go. Very pleased with the result.

The beauty of printing your own is you can be as creative as you like and not have your product look like countless others.
The jar and label sell the honey with your first time customer.
I look at the Maisemore labels and its accompanied with memories of the energy crisis,striking workforce and doom and gloom of the 70s
Deja Vu.
All over again
Only problem is if you want colour on a big order it's not cheap and most lasers are carp with image reproduction.
It's worth experimenting though
I use Linux pc's where everything is usually free and theres some pretty good DTP software available.
I use self adhesive A4 sticker paper and get five labels per sheet- cutting them out is a separate hobby...
I've put blank white bubbles on the rear of the label design and handwrite the expiry date and the net weight according to the jar size (universal label)
Plus you never have over or under ordered quantities.
It's really a project for winter so best to buy your labels in for now but it's worth a look for next year

There are far better alternatives to designs that are 40 years behind the times.

Thorne have no idea how a label can elevate or reduce the perception of the product, and most were designed when honey was under-valued and low in price.

Consider your market - not just this year, but the next few - and if you don't have a design contact, print companies such as Fast Labels will guide you from start to finish.
Completely agree. I spent a bit of money for a professionally made label and logo and it has paid off. Most of the time my stock will sell out in the local shops while the other 2 or 3 other local suppliers who also have jars in the same shops don't..

I used Maisemore on hex jars and am pleased with the results.
Unfortunately I can't figure how to upload a picture from my android phone!

Last edited:
The ubiquitous Open Office has a DTP section but I tend to use Inkscape.
Gimp has a strong following but I don't get on well with its floating interface.
As far as the actual OS is concerned,after years of experiment I have settled on Linux Mint because it's polished ,uncluttered and reliable.

I agree with Enrico. Black and white is the way to go.
I wanted my labels to reflect the individuality and locality of my honey, as we all do. I paid a graphic designer to design labels for my raw wildflower honey, cut comb and chunk comb honey. He produced them as A4 jpegs, sent them to my desktop and I buy sheets of sticky plain white labels from Wilko or Smiths and print off what I need. Used the same design for 10 years and still completely happy with them.

I offer a design and print of bespoke honey label, if you are interested either pop me a message or take a look here: Label Samples – Bespoke Label Solutions

Having used this service I can highly recommend it. Customer service was fantastic and I've been flooded with positive comments on the design and presentation of my label. On my little Instagram I've had a fair few comments asking me where i got them.

Not sure how to upload a pic but if anyone is interested DM me and I'll send examples.

The ubiquitous Open Office has a DTP section but I tend to use Inkscape.
Gimp has a strong following but I don't get on well with its floating interface.
As far as the actual OS is concerned,after years of experiment I have settled on Linux Mint because it's polished ,uncluttered and reliable.

I hadn't realised that OO had any DTP stuff. I find Gimp (and indeed Photoshop) ok for image manipulation, but not for actual creation, though that may also be down to the interfaces and the complexity of the packages. I've never used Inkscape, so I'll take a look.

I also use Mint (with MATE), having moved to it after Ubuntu completely changed their UI around ten years ago and finding that I just couldn't get on with it.

James

Latest posts

Back