Need help with honey tubs

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

enrico

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I have always put my honey in jars straight from the settling tank but this year has been a bumper crop so I bought some 15lb tubs from thrones. Needed some more honey in jars today so I got out a tub.
First ....how do you get the lid off? I turned up the lip round the edge and in end had to resort to a screwdriver to get the lid off. It was a nightmare and took two of us. It didn't do the lid or the tub much good. Surely they are not single use things?
Secondly .... How do you pour the honey? I tried pouring straight into jars, that was a mistake. I have several other tubs to use and I am not looking forward to it.
Any advice or help would be appreciated, otherwise I will go back to plan 'A' and put straight into jars!
Thanks

I use 10 litre plastic tubs, no difficulty getting lids off but obviously different. Surely there must be something you're missing re the lid!
Then I just pour into a 25 litre bucket that has a honey gate fitted & fill jars from that. Warming first if needed. The sizes of the tubs & bottling bucket mean I can leave a tub at an angle to drain out as much honey as possible, though a couple of strips if wood would support a smaller tub upside down.

Something similar to sutty , I’ve not had any issues opening buckets though some can be a bit of a pull to get the lid of.
Was the bucket warmed Eric ?the lid is a bit more supple and comes of easier if the bucket has been warmed .

Something similar to sutty , I’ve not had any issues opening buckets though some can be a bit of a pull to get the lid of.
Was the bucket warmed Eric ?the lid is a bit more supple and comes of easier if the bucket has been warmed .
Thanks both. No the honey wasn't warmed as it was still runny. Will try that next time

I have always put my honey in jars straight from the settling tank but this year has been a bumper crop so I bought some 15lb tubs from thrones. Needed some more honey in jars today so I got out a tub.
First ....how do you get the lid off? I turned up the lip round the edge and in end had to resort to a screwdriver to get the lid off. It was a nightmare and took two of us. It didn't do the lid or the tub much good. Surely they are not single use things?
Secondly .... How do you pour the honey? I tried pouring straight into jars, that was a mistake. I have several other tubs to use and I am not looking forward to it.
Any advice or help would be appreciated, otherwise I will go back to plan 'A' and put straight into jars!
Thanks
I keep mine in 10l tubs. When I want to jar, I pour the tub into another tub that has a tap. Some of my lids can be a bit awkward but not too bad. Sounds like your tubs are particularly tricky.

I extract straight into buckets with gates and eliminate transfer wastage.
Conversely I try not to leave honey in the bottling bucket in case the honey gate leaks or fails.
Big silicone spatula minimises waste.

.how do you get the lid off?
first break the tamper evident tab off, usimng two hands, get your fingers under the lid rim, thumbs on the lid and prise it back
How do you pour the honey?

decant into a bottling tank (one with a tap/honey gate valve)

first break the tamper evident tab off, usimng two hands, get your fingers under the lid rim, thumbs on the lid and prise it back

decant into a bottling tank (one with a tap/honey gate valve)
I did exactly what you said for the lid but it wouldn't budge, with or without gloves. Managed to get a screwdriver under the edge but even when the lid was half freed it still wouldn't unclip the rest. I think I might take the next one to Thrones and ask them to open it. If I remember I might even video my efforts! 😄
I accept my mistake in not tipping the small tub into one with a gate. Seems a bit of a faf but better than having to wash spills down. Still learning😉

I try not to leave honey in the bottling bucket in case the honey gate leaks or fails.

The gates are usually fitted with white silicone O rings which always always leak .
Peel them out, measure the internal diameter and cord size, and order a little bag of nitrile ones off ebay.They work out at pennies each and do the job properly.
No leaks no transfering 16927127754601723633618398939356.jpg16927128181111493919958856422960.jpg

Conversely I try not to leave honey in the bottling bucket in case the honey gate leaks or fails.
Big silicone spatula minimises waste.
These are useful for leaving the smaller bucket tipped up to let it drain into the receiving tapped bucket.
Honey Bucket Rack Bucket Holder
Simon

I accept my mistake in not tipping the small tub into one with a gate. Seems a bit of a faf but better than having to wash spills down. Still learning
With a small tub it’s easy to tip the honey straight into a non drip jug like this one and jar from that

Attachments

• IMG_0687.jpeg
    IMG_0687.jpeg
    109.8 KB · Views: 0
I have always put my honey in jars straight from the settling tank but this year has been a bumper crop so I bought some 15lb tubs from thrones. .....
Amazed that with all your experience you haven't done this before! The lids just come off with a simple lift under the flap where the slot is. I have a few buckets with gates that I can decant into as needed. The plastic gates are available at low cost and can be fitted easily.

There is nothing wrong with silcone O-rings in fact they are perfect and don't leak and softer and better than other rubber, You just need to keep the gate bolts tight enough as they will loosen as you open and close the gate.

You can buy useful food grade silcone spatulas everywhere these days, not just from bee stores; see here. Every kitchen should have them!

Amazed that with all your experience you haven't done this before! The lids just come off with a simple lift under the flap where the slot is. I have a few buckets with gates that I can decant into as needed. The plastic gates are available at low cost and can be fitted easily.

There is nothing wrong with silcone O-rings in fact they are perfect and don't leak and softer and better than other rubber, You just need to keep the gate bolts tight enough as they will loosen as you open and close the gate.

You can buy useful food grade silcone spatulas everywhere these days, not just from bee stores; see here. Every kitchen should have them!
Thanks. I've just ordered some spatulas!

Back