Honey Jar Labels ???

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I went to a farmers market in Arundel, Sussex today and saw a beekeeper selling "Raw" and "Natural" Honey. I've Yet to try an "unnatural" honey!

I've got some that's supernatural......or is it natural and from a super? Whatever, the taste haunts me.

You've just made me think of a new marketing initiative. You may need to be of a certain age to even understand this one, but what about if you put each hive under a north-south aligned model of the Great Pyramid at Giza?

James

Just had a label delivery from Thornes, 2*1000 of one & 1000 of another (same label just slightly different details). A label I’ve used for I don’t know how many years & am very happy with. I’ve never really looked anywhere else but don’t think I will with the price quoted above…………my invoice was £114 for the 3000.
Problem I had with Thornes was they only do certain sizes and wouldn’t do the size I needed for my jar.

Not allowed
Could you tell me please where to find the info that tells you what is/isnt allowed on honey labels, ie raw, natural, organic etc. I know its on the forum and probably in many places but can't find it and do struggle with the layout and search function sometimes. Thanks

Could you tell me please where to find the info that tells you what is/isnt allowed on honey labels, ie raw, natural, organic etc. I know its on the forum and probably in many places but can't find it and do struggle with the layout and search function sometimes. Thanks
These will give the answer
https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2015/1348/made
And this explains it better
https://www.businesscompanion.info/en/quick-guides/food-and-drink/labelling-of-honey
Both available on the BBKA site

Great thanks very much for that info exactly what I was looking for. Whilst I am a member of the BBKA through my local association I don't think Ive ever looked at their website!! I'm going to now though.

I have seen on here that the use of using words like "pure" and "raw" as describers are contentious, what's the rational about not being allowed to use these?

Great thanks very much for that info exactly what I was looking for. Whilst I am a member of the BBKA through my local association I don't think Ive ever looked at their website!! I'm going to now though.

I have seen on here that the use of using words like "pure" and "raw" as describers are contentious, what's the rational about not being allowed to use these?
I THINK the rationale is that ALL real honey is pure and raw so there is no need to advertise yours as being any different from any other REAL honey.

You haven't missed a lot ....
The Honey labelling regulations specify what is pemitted - but they don't specify what is not permitted without ambiguity.

There are those on here who feel that 'raw' draws a distinction between the honey produced in bulk and is filtered to extinction and heated to reduce its propensity for crystallisation and the strained, untreated, honey produced by hobbyist beekeeper and small beefarming operations .. providing a small marketing advantage as consumers do tend to understand the term 'raw' and seek it out.

Then there are those on here who feel that it is not necessary ... and that just the word honey will suffice.

Frankly, there is no rationale to the prevention or resistance to use the word raw .. 'pure' ... well that's just not necessary and does not need to be used- either what is in the jar is honey that is pure or it's not honey. Anything adulterating or otherwise pollutes the pure honey automatically prescribes it being called honey.

The debate will now commence with people on both sides claiming the high ground until eventually it finishes with those who are for the word raw and those that are against it. It won't reach any agreement and it's made more fractious by the fact that some local weights and measures inspectors are happy to accept raw on labels and some are not - even they cannot agree ...

what's the rational about not being allowed to use these?
A reliable summary of the legal position can be found on page 28 of the January 2023 issue of BBKA News. Upshot is that there is no law that may prevent the use of the word raw in relation to honey.

However, it gets tricky: in 2017 the Association of Chief Trading Standards Officers opposed the use of the word raw in the belief that the word implied that the product has additional qualities above those of ordinary honey, defined in the Honey Regs. 2015.

The ACTSO view was reported in BeeCraft magazine in 2018: Raw Honey: All Your Questions Answered.

The practical effect of this unlegislated opinion is that from time to time local borough council TS officers serve an enforcement notice to a beekeeper or honey company to remove all reference to raw. I work for a honey company in such a situation, and we were obliged to change packaging and promotion right through the system; Laurence Edwards of Black Mountain Honey was in similar position, described in a YT video.

Why do some TS officers put the boot in why others ignore? Often consumer complaint, malicious or not, or perhaps a zealous officer wishing to score points. Who knows? We can be certain only that enforcement has no legislative authority.

Until an appeal against an enforcement notice is made the legal position on the matter is neutral, as the solicitor Terry McAuliffe explained in his letter published in BBKA News.

Broadly, an appeal to the General Regulatory Chamber must be lost, because the GRC has no power to make law. If a subsequent appeal to the higher Appellate Court was successful, case law would be established and we could sleep easy at night.

The costs of making perhaps two appeals against an enforcement notice would prevent a beekeeper or honey company going down that road, leaving us becalmed betwixt the law and a professional opinion.

In an ideal world the Honey Regs. might be amended to permit the use and define the criteria of raw, but that would require effort and budget expenditure from all concerned. It is not possible to contact ACTSO directly, and an email to my local TS on the matter several months ago has yet to elicit a reply.

A reliable summary of the legal position can be found on page 28 of the January 2023 issue of BBKA News. Upshot is that there is no law that may prevent the use of the word raw in relation to honey.

However, it gets tricky: in 2017 the Association of Chief Trading Standards Officers opposed the use of the word raw in the belief that the word implied that the product has additional qualities above those of ordinary honey, defined in the Honey Regs. 2015.

The ACTSO view was reported in BeeCraft magazine in 2018: Raw Honey: All Your Questions Answered.

The practical effect of this unlegislated opinion is that from time to time local borough council TS officers serve an enforcement notice to a beekeeper or honey company to remove all reference to raw. I work for a honey company in such a situation, and we were obliged to change packaging and promotion right through the system; Laurence Edwards of Black Mountain Honey was in similar position, described in a YT video.

Why do some TS officers put the boot in why others ignore? Often consumer complaint, malicious or not, or perhaps a zealous officer wishing to score points. Who knows? We can be certain only that enforcement has no legislative authority.

Until an appeal against an enforcement notice is made the legal position on the matter is neutral, as the solicitor Terry McAuliffe explained in his letter published in BBKA News.

Broadly, an appeal to the General Regulatory Chamber must be lost, because the GRC has no power to make law. If a subsequent appeal to the higher Appellate Court was successful, case law would be established and we could sleep easy at night.

The costs of making perhaps two appeals against an enforcement notice would prevent a beekeeper or honey company going down that road, leaving us becalmed betwixt the law and a professional opinion.

In an ideal world the Honey Regs. might be amended to permit the use and define the criteria of raw, but that would require effort and budget expenditure from all concerned. It is not possible to contact ACTSO directly, and an email to my local TS on the matter several months ago has yet to elicit a reply.
Which just goes to confirm that, at times, the law is an ass ... and the only people able to challenge stupidity are those with very deep pockets and the ability to accept the cost of losing as a risk... and with very little material effect evident if they win !

You haven't missed a lot ....

The Honey labelling regulations specify what is pemitted - but they don't specify what is not permitted without ambiguity.

There are those on here who feel that 'raw' draws a distinction between the honey produced in bulk and is filtered to extinction and heated to reduce its propensity for crystallisation and the strained, untreated, honey produced by hobbyist beekeeper and small beefarming operations .. providing a small marketing advantage as consumers do tend to understand the term 'raw' and seek it out.

Then there are those on here who feel that it is not necessary ... and that just the word honey will suffice.

Frankly, there is no rationale to the prevention or resistance to use the word raw .. 'pure' ... well that's just not necessary and does not need to be used- either what is in the jar is honey that is pure or it's not honey. Anything adulterating or otherwise pollutes the pure honey automatically prescribes it being called honey.

The debate will now commence with people on both sides claiming the high ground until eventually it finishes with those who are for the word raw and those that are against it. It won't reach any agreement and it's made more fractious by the fact that some local weights and measures inspectors are happy to accept raw on labels and some are not - even they cannot agree ...
Thanks for your detailed response, and yes Ive seen a few of the "discussions" surrounding this subject.

Thanks very much, Ive had some great and informative replies to this question for which Im grateful. Cheers

Latest posts

Back