Beekeeping Forum

Help Support Beekeeping Forum:

CaptainCymru 

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
dadant
Number of Hives
My 2 pence worth........I thought beekeeping was supposed to be an enjoyable hobby?what's the point if you have to read reeeeeeeeeeems of legislation about reporting a pointless parasite that we are all stuck with .Fair enough with AFB/EFB but seriously , just ignore these pen pushers and get on with your life.

Erichalfbee 

Super Moderator
Staff member
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
But that’s surely not what it’s for it’s so that we can export bees to the EU without too much paperwork.

jenkinsbrynmair 

Super Moderator
Staff member
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
Too many - but not nearly enough
I think people have missed Murray's initial post
The difference between reportable and notifiable
it will make little difference to us mere mortals.

Apple 

Banned
Reaction score
Number of Hives
My 2 pence worth........I thought beekeeping was supposed to be an enjoyable hobby?what's the point if you have to read reeeeeeeeeeems of legislation about reporting a pointless parasite that we are all stuck with .Fair enough with AFB/EFB but seriously , just ignore these pen pushers and get on with your life.
.I thought beekeeping was supposed to be an enjoyable hobby

P
ossibly that is the problem.... may be a hobby for many but a business for many others.
Without any legislation it would be like a bunch of radio hams running the BBC !!

B+. 

Queen Bee
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
langstroth
Number of Hives
Quite a few
.I thought beekeeping was supposed to be an enjoyable hobby

P
ossibly that is the problem.... may be a hobby for many but a business for many others.
Without any legislation it would be like a bunch of radio hams running the BBC !!
Oh please! Radio hams would do a much better job! ;)

derekm 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
The legislation states:
2A.—(1) Any owner or person in charge of a hive who knows or suspects that any species of the Varroa mite is present in the hive must report, as soon as practicable, that fact to the Scottish Ministers.

That's all beekeepers not just ones exporting, Thats effectively compulsory registration.
it goes on to say:

(2) A person reporting under paragraph (1) may submit to the Scottish Ministers samples of—
(a)any bee pest to establish if it is any species of the Varroa mite; or
(b)any other thing, including soil, to establish if it is infected with any species of the Varroa mite.

I suggest you take a sod from underneath your hive and post it to them..

B+. 

Queen Bee
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
langstroth
Number of Hives
Quite a few
The legislation states:
2A.—(1) Any owner or person in charge of a hive who knows or suspects that any species of the Varroa mite is present in the hive must report, as soon as practicable, that fact to the Scottish Ministers.

That's all beekeepers not just ones exporting, Thats effectively compulsory registration.
it goes on to say:

(2) A person reporting under paragraph (1) may submit to the Scottish Ministers samples of—
(b)any other thing, including soil, to establish if it is infected with any species of the Varroa mite.

I wonder how many beekeepers can identify different species (somebody doesn't understand the nomenclature) of varroa mite.

This reads more like the communications that came out when varroa was first detected back in the early 90s. When they were still talking of an imaginary line where varroa hadn't yet been recognised (i.e. a cut-and-paste job from old documents).

Personally, I don't have a problem with compulsory registration. I just registered for IPAFFS (TRACES equivalent) and it took no time at all.

Last edited:

jenkinsbrynmair 

Super Moderator
Staff member
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
Too many - but not nearly enough
The legislation states:

it goes on to say:

The important word is may rather than must
This is still very much a draft, they've said as much in the preamble I think people should stop scrunching their panties until the definitive version is submitted

CaptainCymru 

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
dadant
Number of Hives
Ignore the form fillers of this world and carry on ,no way am I having "here lies ...... he died of boredom filling out pointless forms for pointless people " on my grave stone 🤣

Erichalfbee 

Super Moderator
Staff member
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Ignore the form fillers of this world and carry on ,no way am I having "here lies ...... he died of boredom filling out pointless forms for pointless people " on my grave stone 🤣
As long as it doesn’t say here lies ....
he died because he didn’t report his bees’ varroa.

victor meldrew 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
My bees have Varro mites ! My job is to keep their mite load to a minimum !
there you go . All reported . Now what ?

Repwoc 

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
The important word is may rather than must
This is still very much a draft, they've said as much in the preamble I think people should stop scrunching their panties until the definitive version is submitted
Where does it say 'may'?

If it's just a draft, why are they bothering all the (Scottish) beekeepers with it?

Swarm 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
more than 30, less than 100.
'May send a sample' etc.

Latest posts