Varroa becoming a reportable disease in Scotland

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My 2 pence worth........I thought beekeeping was supposed to be an enjoyable hobby?what's the point if you have to read reeeeeeeeeeems of legislation about reporting a pointless parasite that we are all stuck with .Fair enough with AFB/EFB but seriously , just ignore these pen pushers and get on with your life.

My 2 pence worth........I thought beekeeping was supposed to be an enjoyable hobby?what's the point if you have to read reeeeeeeeeeems of legislation about reporting a pointless parasite that we are all stuck with .Fair enough with AFB/EFB but seriously , just ignore these pen pushers and get on with your life.
.I thought beekeeping was supposed to be an enjoyable hobby

P
ossibly that is the problem.... may be a hobby for many but a business for many others.
Without any legislation it would be like a bunch of radio hams running the BBC !!

.I thought beekeeping was supposed to be an enjoyable hobby

P
ossibly that is the problem.... may be a hobby for many but a business for many others.
Without any legislation it would be like a bunch of radio hams running the BBC !!

Oh please! Radio hams would do a much better job! ;)

The legislation states:
2A.—(1) Any owner or person in charge of a hive who knows or suspects that any species of the Varroa mite is present in the hive must report, as soon as practicable, that fact to the Scottish Ministers.

That's all beekeepers not just ones exporting, Thats effectively compulsory registration.
it goes on to say:

(2) A person reporting under paragraph (1) may submit to the Scottish Ministers samples of—
(a)any bee pest to establish if it is any species of the Varroa mite; or
(b)any other thing, including soil, to establish if it is infected with any species of the Varroa mite.

I suggest you take a sod from underneath your hive and post it to them..

The legislation states:
2A.—(1) Any owner or person in charge of a hive who knows or suspects that any species of the Varroa mite is present in the hive must report, as soon as practicable, that fact to the Scottish Ministers.

That's all beekeepers not just ones exporting, Thats effectively compulsory registration.
it goes on to say:

(2) A person reporting under paragraph (1) may submit to the Scottish Ministers samples of—
(b)any other thing, including soil, to establish if it is infected with any species of the Varroa mite.

I wonder how many beekeepers can identify different species (somebody doesn't understand the nomenclature) of varroa mite.

This reads more like the communications that came out when varroa was first detected back in the early 90s. When they were still talking of an imaginary line where varroa hadn't yet been recognised (i.e. a cut-and-paste job from old documents).

Personally, I don't have a problem with compulsory registration. I just registered for IPAFFS (TRACES equivalent) and it took no time at all.

Last edited:
The legislation states:

it goes on to say:

The important word is may rather than must
This is still very much a draft, they've said as much in the preamble I think people should stop scrunching their panties until the definitive version is submitted

Ignore the form fillers of this world and carry on ,no way am I having "here lies ...... he died of boredom filling out pointless forms for pointless people " on my grave stone 🤣

Ignore the form fillers of this world and carry on ,no way am I having "here lies ...... he died of boredom filling out pointless forms for pointless people " on my grave stone 🤣
As long as it doesn’t say here lies ....
he died because he didn’t report his bees’ varroa.

My bees have Varro mites ! My job is to keep their mite load to a minimum !
there you go . All reported . Now what ?

The important word is may rather than must
This is still very much a draft, they've said as much in the preamble I think people should stop scrunching their panties until the definitive version is submitted
Where does it say 'may'?

If it's just a draft, why are they bothering all the (Scottish) beekeepers with it?

Latest posts

Back