It's time for regular inspections !!!!!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
20 colonies, 40 Hives
Reading my inspection notes today, I last inspected one of our colonies on 7/4 , so thought I'd better have a quick peek..
Notes for 7 /4/ 15 read " Marked Queen , 4 frames brood , preparing 5th frames for laying. Stores good. Removed super from underneath...

Had a peek today 16/4....... 9 frames of brood , 6 queen cups ( along the bottom of middle frame ) ALL M/T. 4 areas of drone brood , all capped....

While none of the cups were loaded , it shows how quickly they can expand and the pontential to abscond , if you don't keep your eye on the ball...

Just for " Constructive criticism purposes " my response to the situation , was as follows !!!
Take the two outer frames of brood and place them in another brood box , surround them with drawn comb & stores + some foundation, to fill up the additional b/box.
In the original brood box , move brood towards the back of the box , fill the new space with drawn comb.
Place new b/box on top , followed by C/board and on top of this a super with some crystalised honey , sprayed with a fine mist of water..
Within half a mile of this colony , the OSR is just starting to flower...

Considering the above.... What would you of done ?

Last edited:
We had better have a good look at mine on Saturday. Bring your queen marking kit. I have never found the queen in one of my hives, but there has always been eggs and young brood, so I was not worried.

Oil seed rape will be in full flower next week in most fields but next to my out apiary it is about a week later.

We're using the Forum, like a message system..
But , your new colony. ( sitting in my back garden ).
Will make you some OSR honey !!! ( with some drawn comb ) !!
I've already marked the Queen ' but we can do your others..

In truth , I don't usually bother to mark Queens. It's only this year I'm going to try " demaree " on some of our hives...

Last edited:
Haven't done a first inspection, yet, for a number of reasons. Hope to have done all in next two days.

My friend opened some nucs other day and found 6 queen cells unfortunately they were sealed.
So swarm season is beginning, the osr is fully yellow around here.

Inspections - yes.

Regular? What does that mean? Every three weeks (no drone brood and plenty of stores, storing and laying space, along with a laying queen)? Or are you already advocating weekly - which I don't buy into yet, necessarily.

Up to the beekeeper to use his/her brain, methinks, rather than waste unnecessary time and effort. Thinking is easier (for me, at least) than potentially wasted manual effort.

Inspections - yes.

Regular? What does that mean? .

To me it is every week swarming inspection. Then you have couple of days flexibility, if weathers are impossible to open hives.
There is no reason to inspect hive sooner than 7 days.

Last edited:
Same as always if you don't have a reason to inspect then you have to ask why are you doing it.
Nice day and being bored isn't a reason.

Inspections - yes.

Regular? What does that mean? Every three weeks (no drone brood and plenty of stores, storing and laying space, along with a laying queen)? Or are you already advocating weekly - which I don't buy into yet, necessarily.

Up to the beekeeper to use his/her brain, methinks, rather than waste unnecessary time and effort. Thinking is easier (for me, at least) than potentially wasted manual effort.

I agree. As with all things, use common sense. I have seen a huge variation of conditions posted on here within the last couple of days.....from Hivemaker on Exmoor with his grafting to make queen cells to a man in Scotland with snow on the ground.
http://www.beekeepingforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=23405&page=4

Last edited:
Regular inspections to me means, every 7 to 9 days...
As Finnman has pointed out, the weather plays a part in inspection times/ days..
So I will I aim at every 7 days , giving me some leeway...

I'm sure next time I do the rounds, I'll be adding supers.

To me it is every week swarming inspection. Then you have couple of days flexibility, if weathers are impossible to open hives.
There is no reason to inspect hive sooner than 7 days.

must be like painting the Forth Bridge for you...

Latest posts

Back