How to store used Super Frames / Brood Frames for next year

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

john1

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi,
If I have some super frames and brood frames (no honey or eggs), what is the best way to store it for the following year to re-use them?
There is no honey in the super or no brood in the brood frames.
Is it enough to put them in a cardboard box and keep in a warm place?
Thanks

no need for keeping in a warm place - quite the opposite really. Super frames (and brood frames for that matter) are better stored 'wet' (after extraction and not given back to the bees to 'clean up') frames that have had brood in are more susceptible to waxmoth

Dry or wet, After freezing for 48hr to kill off wax moth larvae & eggs, I keep mine in clear stacker boxes and seal the lids with parcel tape to stop moths and leave them in a poly tunnel over winter

A cardboard box in the warm is Probly one of the worst places. I had a nucs worth of brood frames destroyed by wax moth whilst stored indoors unsealed in the box overwinter. Yuck 🐛

You can also spray the brood boxes with organic caterpillar killer like xentari to prevent wax moth

I use clear zip bags from Amazon, 1 frame per bag

Dry or wet, After freezing for 48hr to kill off wax moth larvae & eggs, I keep mine in clear stacker boxes and seal the lids with parcel tape to stop moths and leave them in a poly tunnel over winter

A cardboard box in the warm is Probly one of the worst places. I had a nucs worth of brood frames destroyed by wax moth whilst stored indoors unsealed in the box overwinter. Yuck 🐛
Good idea. I made the mistake of storing frames in brood and super boxes with solid crownboards above and beneath the stack and each box inside a black sack. All in a sound garden shed atop railway sleepers. Somehow suffered insect damage [not wax moth], and mice managed to lift the top crownboard and had fun.

Srore wet in an old non working fridge or freezer, If working it's a bonus as a good freeze for a couple of days will knacker the eggs or caterpillars of wax moth. Perfect seal but do block the drain hole - I filled with epoxy plug. No wasps, mice or wax moth. I also do my acetic acid comb treatment in there.

I store all my supers and brood comb wet with a couple newspaper sheets between them never had a big issue with wax moth or buy an industrial roll of clingfilm and wrap your boxes

Last year I stored a couple of stacks of wet supers with an empty super at the top with some acetic acid in a take-away container, wrapped it in wheelie bin bags and cling film (packaging shelf at b&q), and left it until spring. Despite warnings on here I didn't see any problems with corrosion.

once again beekeepers hamstrung by a VMD that in the case of beekeeing is not fit for purpose.
If only there was a national organisation, with a long provenance, representative of all beekeepers fighting our corner

Mine this winter are going to be stacked under a Dutch barn strapped up and I would say keeping them on the cool side rather than warm would be better .
Last winter I kept all my wet stored supers in a sealed shipping container.

Last three years waxmoth woul dhave been quite prolific without my intervention, even though I use greenhouse glass between each stored BB.
To an extent supers are safe but any signs of pollen or brood coccoons in them make them a target as well.

One can try Xentari or Dipel DF sprayed ( Certan b401/b402 was the approved option) over the surfaces once or twice usually does the trick, I also when I have a quiet hour go thru the stack and use thin long tweezers to remove larvae that I may see.

Certan is the same bacillus type as both of the above , just they aren't approved.

If one is unprepared to keep an eye on combs then one will end up burning all and replacing the mess left by the WM.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back