Recombining an unplanned split

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Number of Hives
Split was Sunday - did an inspection and found 5 very charged QCs on a frame in a very full hive. Queen is laying well & from September last year.

I took queen & 4 frames into a nuc. Not looking to make this a new colony so plan to recombined but not done this before.

So this is the plan:

On Wednesday I'll do an initial check for EQCs in the queen- hive and knock them down

On Friday I'll do a second inspection and again knock down every EQC.

I'll then (on Friday) move the queen and the frames out of the nuc into a second brood box. I'll place that brood box on below the brood for the queen- box and have the queen- box + the super on the top. I'll separate the box with a sheet of newspaper with a few starter slits in it.

Retreat and wait until Sunday when I'll check that the two colonies are combined. I'll then rejig all of the frames to make a full set and any additional newly drawn comb will go into the shed freezer for the next time its needed

Comments appreciated! I've not done this before

so let me get this right.
Just a a week after splitting them you are going to once again unite the two halves leaving the queen still in a hive packed with bees and brood and still desperate to swarm?

Reactions: Bee
so let me get this right.
Just a a week after splitting them you are going to once again unite the two halves leaving the queen still in a hive packed with bees and brood and still desperate to swarm?
I don't know - that's why I'm asking for advice :)
I don't want two colonies & want to recombine at some point - but not having done this before I've zero Idea how long to leave it
Clearly if its any longer then I'll need to either allow a new queen to be born or add one. My thinking was that doing this fast would avoid the need to do that

just keep them as two colonies for now - let them make a new queen with one of the original QC's (if you've taken the m all down give them a frame with eggs from the hive where the old queen is now) once the new queen is mated and laying then consider reuniting them - killing the old queen and keeping the new

Reactions: Bee

Latest posts

Back