demarree for the second time of the season?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
William died in 1977 here’s his version and the book is from northern bee books.
@elainemary said to get it as it has info on how to set up colony’s from clover to heather also info from brother adams .View attachment 36045View attachment 36046View attachment 36047
The hive in the photo with the demaree board is set up as queen in the bottom on her frame of mixed bias with two comb and the rest foundation second brood has 7 frames of brood and the rest are comb and the top has 2 emerging frames and comb you can instead donate the top two frame to another colony or use in a nuc.
This colony are set up as per Williams modified demaree.
Thanks for the illustration. Williams actually calls this a modified Demaree.
It looks like what he is doing is running a double brood, forcing the queen to lay in the bottom box only. I’ve read quite a few people raise the brood over a QX to make sure no QCs can be made when making up nucs with a new queen.

Thanks @Curly green finger's for putting it up. Wouldn't call this a demaree either, it's just a way of ensuring the queen has enough space to lay and having the Qx in between makes for easier manipulations and inspections.

@Erichalfbee , yes I use the Qx in between 2 BB for when I want to requeen or split as they wont (generally) make Qcs in the top box if it's just above the queen.

There's been a lot of posts about doing demarees recently. OK, I've only ever done it 3 times but not until the beginning of June
that would be late for me - even this year with such poor weather there are three or four colonies I have earmarked for Demarree at the next visit

Last edited:
that would be late for me - even this year with such poor weather there are three or four colonies I have earmarked for Demarree at the next visit
Same here, over 70% of my hives were Demaree last week and the week before and looking to do a few splits next week with my first batch of Qcs.

No point keeping hives at full strength through May as the spring crop is almost out of the window with this weather.

No point keeping hives at full strength through May as the spring crop is almost out of the window with this weather.
That’s one of the most sensible things I’ve heard in a while. Give them something to do in the June gap.

I know……
I am desperately trying to avoid increase hence the Demarees. I was going to sell two colonies locally but things got in the way and I still have them 🥲

Thanks @Curly green finger's for putting it up. Wouldn't call this a demaree either, it's just a way of ensuring the queen has enough space to lay and having the Qx in between makes for easier manipulations and inspections.

@Erichalfbee , yes I use the Qx in between 2 BB for when I want to requeen or split as they wont (generally) make Qcs in the top box if it's just above the queen.
It also rests the queens I have two different types of stock prolific and some that will be used for heather you are right about the qx I’ve made nucs up already with cells I also don’t have a June gape .

It also rests the queens I have two different types of stock prolific and some that will be used for heather you are right about the qx I’ve made nucs up already with cells I also don’t have a June gape .
How does it rest the queen. You’re giving her more room to lay?

How does it rest the queen. You’re giving her more room to lay?

The page of the book that @Curly green finger's has photographed says that you leave the queen in the bottom box with four frames of brood and six frames of foundation, which the author expresses some doubts that the bees will draw with any urgency.. I assume that will restrict the laying space and give the "rest"

Ah. I keep thinking it’s a Demaree which it isn’t. But that’s splitting hairs.
I have always found that foundation is drawn pretty quickly in my Demarees but then I leave only one frame of brood in with the queen at the bottom.
Curly asked opinions on his manipulation and it seems so far nobody else here has done it.
Me? I’m as confused as ever in Curly’s threads.
Perhaps @elainemary can shed some light as she recommended the book.

According to his book he's jumped the gun a little as it says to use the technique towards the middle of June. It seems that it was designed for, (and I think Curly is intending it as), a tactic to prepare for a heather crop. It's similarity to a Demaree is that you take away from the queen a significant amount of the brood, but the colony is left intact. It sounds like a technique that dabblers like me would enjoy giving a go. But I think that most of us might as well go the whole hog and do a proper Demaree

According to his book he's jumped the gun a little as it says to use the technique towards the middle of June. It seems that it was designed for, (and I think Curly is intending it as), a tactic to prepare for a heather crop. It's similarity to a Demaree is that you take away from the queen a significant amount of the brood, but the colony is left intact. It sounds like a technique that dabblers like me would enjoy giving a go. But I think that most of us might as well go the whole hog and do a proper Demaree
That’s about the crucks of it I have set some up a tad early but you can rotate frames if the queen is prolific like a proper demaree.
I have single brood colony’s now which will be set up in a week or two time and hopefully my early nucs .
I have cells emerging on Monday and Tuesday in 4/6 frame nucs I’ve missed the timing on some miller method frames the colony’s are way to strong so I’ve done some grafts today , also knocked down some EQCs after 5 days in two colony’s which I’m going to use as starters bees were not happy with the weather being the way it is.

Where your entrance is on yours rather than just cut a gap do two 45 degree cuts and put a nail in the middle you could use that board as a cb by simply closing it .
why would I do that? there's a 4x2" hole in the middle of it

Wow a fantastic thread here with so much ew information to learn thanks fellow community.

How would I avoid the bees not filling the top BB with honey, but instead filling it in the super?

Latest posts

Back