demarree for the second time of the season?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Curly green finger's

If you think you know all, you actually know nowt!
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Herefordshire/titterstone clee hill/ Worcestershir
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
86 + nucs/ mini nucs
afternoon all next week I plan to dismantle some of my demareed colony’s use the cells that they have created .
Some of my demareed queens are split equally 4 bias in the bottom ,4 capped in the second brood box and generally if there are 2 remaining brood frames they either get donated or put above the two existing boxes I also use a demaree board in place when I perform the manipulation .
I was planning to set the demaree back up when the original queen is back up to strength but this time leave the queen on her frame with only two of comb in the bottom and to hopefully rest these queens for the heather ?
Thoughts ?
Thanks
Cgf

C863096D-81B6-4CA9-A268-83F78127E5BB.jpeg

Strange demaree! If I run dble brood as you do on the pic, I only use a Qx and swap brood frames weekly as you do. I don't call this a demaree as you don't separate brood from the queen. I am trying this on a couple of hives this season instead of demaree.

My demaree consist of removing bottom BB with all the frames of brood (usually 8+), putting an empty one instead with 4 drawn frames, the frame where the queen is on in between these and the rest is foundation. Qx after that, super(s), demaree board and original BB with all the brood.

Strange demaree! If I run dble brood as you do on the pic, I only use a Qx and swap brood frames weekly as you do. I don't call this a demaree as you don't separate brood from the queen. I am trying this on a couple of hives this season instead of demaree.

My demaree consist of removing bottom BB with all the frames of brood (usually 8+), putting an empty one instead with 4 drawn frames, the frame where the queen is on in between these and the rest is foundation. Qx after that, super(s), demaree board and original BB with all the brood.
It isn’t double brood it’s a modified demaree I’ve been following william Hamilton version for this being the third season, it’s my take on his version of it.
I don’t always rotate either 9FFAC73B-C56D-4421-9B4B-D9DEACFFC409.jpeg
Here’s his version these colony’s can be set up for the heather in May .

It isn’t double brood it’s a modified demaree I’ve been following william Hamilton version for this being the third season, it’s my take on his version of it.
I don’t always rotate either View attachment 36022
Here’s his version these colony’s can be set up for the heather in May .
I can't figure out what's going on, Mark. Can you explain the procedure?

I can't figure out what's going on, Mark. Can you explain the procedure?
It looks as if some of them have a Qx between the 2 bootom bb then the demaree board then supers. Mark will correct me but it looks as if the demaree is done without supers in between and all supers are above the uppermost bb. I am not too sure how it works tho.

The only similar set up I run is a dble brood with Qx in middle so the queen is always down the bottom and brood frames are moved weekly above the qx replacing with empty drawn below. I have suppers above, demaree board and a third BB which will take a wack of brood frames when too congested down below. I only have this setup with 3 very prolific hives.

It's the William Hamilton version. I assume the Scottish one....
yes but because he was beekeeping 100 years ago, there are no youtube video to show us how he did it🤣 and we will need Mark to go through it for us.

Hi all
Just in this topic, I inspected my hive yesterday and the BB was getting very full so I attempted a demaree, however, I only have 1 super between the bottom BB and the top BB.
Will this still work?

Hi all
Just in this topic, I inspected my hive yesterday and the BB was getting very full so I attempted a demaree, however, I only have 1 super between the bottom BB and the top BB.
Will this still work?
yes, although you may not always get QC's in the top box.
Demarree never specified how many boxes there should be between brood and the queen, just that they should be separated - he just said that all the brood should be in the topmost box with the queen at the bottom.
I've successfully Demarre'd with just the one super on more than one occasionDemarree.jpg

yes but because he was beekeeping 100 years ago, there are no youtube video to show us how he did it🤣 and we will need Mark to go through it for us.
William died in 1977 here’s his version and the book is from northern bee books.
@elainemary said to get it as it has info on how to set up colony’s from clover to heather also info from brother adams .image.jpg3B149982-A911-44B5-AB5F-3CB5CC9D0CCB.jpeg33F7A543-FD00-433E-89D6-C8CC7AD80DA6.jpeg1B92A19E-944A-452C-84A7-4495563BA3B6.jpeg
The hive in the photo with the demaree board is set up as queen in the bottom on her frame of mixed bias with two comb and the rest foundation second brood has 7 frames of brood and the rest are comb and the top has 2 emerging frames and comb you can instead donate the top two frame to another colony or use in a nuc.5A2B3FAF-5941-44A9-829E-63F10B1033C1.jpeg
This colony are set up as per Williams modified demaree.

I agree with the timing suggested in that book.

There's been a lot of posts about doing demarees recently. OK, I've only ever done it 3 times but not until the beginning of June when a young colony looks huge and I loose my nerve before I find any swarm cells. Seems to run it's course and I undo it around the end of July.

Everyone's bees develop at a different rate I suppose.

Latest posts

Back