Work this one out

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Curly green finger's

If you think you know all, you actually know nowt!
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Herefordshire/titterstone clee hill/ Worcestershir
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
86 + nucs/ mini nucs
Three weeks ago I set up a demaree colony which had two supers in between all brood above but one frame with queen in the bottom box , checked today one good cell on a central frame (top)and four in the bottom box on the middle frame hanging of the bottom one was open ( age 7 days the rest capped I’d say around day 10/11 of age , queen in the bottom has 8 frames of brood 6 capped 2 bias and the rest being stores frame 12 not drawn .
Queen looks happy down bellow fat and laying …. Superseding?

Queens in a nuc and I’ve harvested the capped cells left one in the bottom open

Three weeks ago I set up a demaree colony which had two supers in between all brood above but one frame with queen in the bottom box , checked today one good cell on a central frame (top)and four in the bottom box on the middle frame hanging of the bottom one was open ( age 7 days the rest capped I’d say around day 10/11 of age , queen in the bottom has 8 frames of brood 6 capped 2 bias and the rest being stores frame 12 not drawn .

Not sure, but I think you've done the right thing with harvesting the cells and putting the queen in a nuc.
Swarm cells that I've seen (purpose made ones rather than opportunistic ones) have tended to be spread out in age. There seems to be some age spread with yours and perhaps the capped ones are more spread in age than your estimation? I presume it is a strong colony and presumably an older queen?

Set up three weeks now queen has 8 frames of brood below?
Why aren't you rolling the frames to give the queen the space she needs?

four in the bottom box
Superseding?
Supersedure is generally regarded as 3 QCs or fewer, but even if you had two, it's a risk during the swarm season to allow the colony to decide which to choose because they're just as likely to go on one of them, so I agree with Antipodes that harvesting was the better course of action.

Set up three weeks now queen has 8 frames of brood below?
In a single box that sounds like a recipe for swarming; check in a week for EQCs?

Last edited:
Supersedure is generally regarded as 3 QCs or fewer, but even if you had two, it's a risk during the swarm season to allow the colony to decide which to choose because they're just as likely to go on one of them, so I agree with Antipodes that harvesting was the better course of action.

In asingle box that sounds like a recipe for swarming; check in a week for EQCs?
Yes I’m going to check them for EQCs in a week , as to rolling the brood frames they are a colony that missed my rounds I did just lift the bottom box about 10 days ago and all was ok and comb was being drawn colony were stable then .
2021 queen folks

She is a 2021 queen/colony this is the third time I’ve demaree them but yes either one I would say because there were three capped cells that they are superseding but you don’t take the chance , it will be interesting to see what she does in the nuc now ?
By supersedure or swarming, they mean to replace her.

Latest posts

Back