Is this the impression your members wish to make?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I quite fancied getting a Beehaus to play with untill I saw that bloke on Youtube trying to stick dusters to the lid to seal the gaps. For £500 i expect the bl**dy lid to fit.

Darren.

Well two pages in one afternoon, that's an entertaining read while I am waiting for some more practical enagement in my hobby! - and that is in fact the point I wish to make. Beekeeping is a practical hobby which you become proficient at throuigh gaining practical experience and developed judgement. That in turn (I am told) brings satisfaction and rewards (not got that far yet, I am still at the frustration and cock-up stage!). The prettiest, most expensive, most innovative beekeeping equipment money can buy can not buy that, but it can add to the pleasure and if you have the cash why not?
With that experience comes opinion and knowledge, this forum allows people to share that opinion / knowledge in a fairly uncensored way, participants can pick through it, embrace it, ignore it or disagree with it as they wish.
People join a forum because it supports and embraces their hobby, the reverse is not - or should not be true.

CB008 if you are a genuine newbee then I urge you to consider all options and opinions then make up your own mind, don't pre-judge or believe all the marketting copy. Be a beek first and an omlette advocate second, one lets you judge the quality of the other. If (as I suspect) you may not be a new beek and you have an alterantive/undeclared agenda then I suspect you've been rumbled. There are plenty of views in this thread, what do you think about them CB008?

If you are wondering, 3 hives, second hand and/or repaired self built, cheap, wood + patched bee suit (cotton), I also embrace other materials, rubber wellingtons and a plastic tool box for me bits.

Top knotch thread, just off to make some spring syrup and tell the girls all about it!:reddevil:

Last edited:
CB008 - When you were small did you knock on peoples doors then run away ??

Come on, you got a good discussion going here, were all friendly, whats your opinion on the responses ????

you are closer to the truth than you think grizzly I fear its a wined up he has being on line a number of times now I think its a sort of game to see how much reaction you can get I suspect we had a similar one earlier regarding top v bottom bee space debate.

I honestly think the Beehaus is great for those who want to try bee keeping as the latest fashion accessory for their garden to show off to all their friends and impress them with how rad, hip and eco they are but it won't be long before things go wrong, colonies die or abscond and their owners get stung or they get complaints then complain themselves that the bees didn't read the Beehaus manual.

I'm predicting by July ebay will start to list a few then by the end of the year they will be flooded with lots of owners trying to sell them on for silly money and their popularity will drop like a lead balloon.

The upside is lots of bee keepers will be waiting for the calls to go collect the swarms from the neighbours of Beehaus owners so they can be given to other bee keepers who took the time and effort to take a class and learn all about bee keeping before spending lots of money.

So as far as I'm concerned I'd like to say thank you to Omlet your Beehaus will hopefully make a lot of non Beehaus owners very happy, you started a marvellous urban trend and those of us with wooden hives will be more than happy to collect all those swarms.

:cheers2:

Every association apiary should have a beehouse .......for storage of spare kit !

do you get the feeling he was the head sales rep for beehouse and found by accident our web forum, decided to write a statement question and then has gone off to annoy someone else.
give him his due evan tho he is a sales rep trying to flog the day lights out of some thing that many people dont need, he has made a cracking thread topic. Evan i cant get that much heratic abuse in one message.

To any new beek that is ready this , can i just add that this forum is run in such a way that anyone can say pretty well any thing, look at me for instance, If you wish to keep bees in a container of your choice there is some here that will help you out some where along the way.

dont be fooled by cb008 message as he is the sales person trying to sell equipment with the idea of the simple and easy hobbie of bee keeping.

bee keeping is neither , it can be described as hard work at times and very peacefull in others, very infuriatiting at times and absurdly simple at others, but the kit you use does have a differance to make, but not as much as a well trained beek can have
where you have you bees and what hive type you use is only apart of the hobby.

personaly i just think he is a miffed sales rep that did not like the ideas that we were not saying how wonderfull his plastic box is and started to say nasty things about it. spoilt child syndrome

I'll say 'sorry' to some sales people right now, but I was told the salesperson 'learns less and less about more and more until they know absolutely b*gger all about everything'. Could be spot on in this case.

BTW, omlette know what is going on here. When I posted on here that they were calling the honeybee an aphid, it was changed on their website within 24 hours.

More likely some petty junior marketing starter who thinks they keep umpteen hundreds employed.

I am taking mine to the apiary to show the local BKA members, and others, what a super bit of kit it is. I shall likely attach my list of 'what to look out fors' so they can ask questions and make up their own minds. I don't mind being laughed at, really.
Wonder what CB stands for - Charlie Brown?

Regards, RAB

I am taking mine to the apiary to show the local BKA members, and others, what a super bit of kit it is. I shall likely attach my list of 'what to look out fors' so they can ask questions and make up their own minds. I don't mind being laughed at, really.

Regards, RAB

Is it really much diffent from a Dartington?,

i know its was new last year but i though it was only the material its made out of that was "new". how did the bees do over the winter in yours?

WE have had two dartington on our beginers apiary for teaching for several years

Last edited:
i like darlingtons, they are a great hive when you want one, we used to have several for a lady beek, and we made the honey supers the smaller five frame wide set up and she thought it was wonderfull, as for a bee house, they are fine for what they are , but i still get the feeling cb008 was a sales rep for them and he threw his dummy out of his pram, lol

MM,

how did the bees do over the winter in yours?

Fine. They are a bit ahead of my other colonies, but that may be because they have had that little more attention, like a sheet of polystyrene on each side of the brood area. It will stay there for at least another month.

The new plastic version may be similar but there are significant differences - like ease of being able to seal it up completely, either on top or down below! I don't like any top ventilation with an open mesh floor and I like to be able to use thymol etc to fumigate for varroa. But mine will be OK when I mod it as I require it.

Just a shame it was not faultless 'straight out of the box', so as to speak.

Also I didn't really need another Dartington type hive - two is probably enough, what with their 'different' operation (to the normal vertical box type where one can easily swap box positions - like for putting stores frames below the brood to get it moved quickly) and space requirements.

Regards, RAB

OXFORDBEE,

Doesn't appear that their sales team can count too well, or maybe it is a marketing ploy to charge an extra 20%? Perhaps they shipped 12, but just not as advertised. Sure way to keep extra people employed in the packing/despatch area! Some of those 300?

Regards, RAB

Latest posts

Back