Is the asian hornet a reportable insect in the UK?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sure your mate hadn't been drinking some of your damson wine?:cheers2:

nope, he'd never seen a hornet before. he didn't know they were supposed to be yellow / reddish brown! he said it was mostly black, and from images I showed him he said definitely Asian Hornet

Let's hope he is wrong, eh?

it flew into the cab of his van, he was VERY close to it for long enough to do a positive ident

The "U Tube" hornet is a European Hornet - big scary and sounds like a Lancaster bomber. See my avatar for Asian Hornet - slightly smaller just as scary and silent in flight. The broad black band on the abdomen is very distinctive.

Not to second guess the OP opinion but if it was a European hornet queen which are huge, "a" way to protect your bees is to get a camping insectocutor. Mains or battery. Leave it about 20 yards from the hive. But only at night. Less dangerous for bees as asleep. The European hornet hunts both day and night. We had a nightmare here last year. Every night and morning whilst dark we were attacked whilst outside for a smoke. I got them but it was mad. Cigarette in one hand, electro tennis racket in the other. So I had to research them. Found out that 6 working round a hive can decimate it in an afternoon.

Found out that 6 working round a hive can decimate it in an afternoon.

I thought the Asian hornet did far more damage than simply reduce the colony by 10.

The effect of the Asian hornet has been very variable in the Dordogne. Some beekeepers have lost between 50 and 100% of their colonies while others have lost none. My first sighting was 2009, just 1 or 2 at a time taking a single bee, a nest was found that Autumn (when the leaves fell) about 300 m away. Last year was more or less the same but I found a lot more in the traps I deployed from mid Feb onwards.

The published information about the AH states that the bees ignore a single hornet but an attack of 5 or more causes moderate panic and an all out attack of 20 or more stops foraging and the colony is then entered and wiped out.

Thus far I have been lucky and not suffered a mass attack - traps and a badminton raquet seems to keep the numbers down and is very theraputic:coolgleamA:

Latest posts

Back