Is the asian hornet a reportable insect in the UK?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thus far I have been lucky and not suffered a mass attack - traps and a badminton raquet seems to keep the numbers down and is very theraputic:coolgleamA:

I suppose their size makes it easier to hit them with the raquet?

if you can be bothered i've heard a good way to find a hornets nest is to catch one, tie some cotton around it (between head and thorax) and tie a feather on the other end. let it go and watch where it goes. as i say i have only heard of this but never done it.

First catch your hornet - you should see the length of their sting - even arms length it too close if you miss with the first swipe:biggrinjester:

if you can be bothered i've heard a good way to find a hornets nest is to catch one, tie some cotton around it (between head and thorax) and tie a feather on the other end. let it go and watch where it goes. as i say i have only heard of this but never done it.

Iv seen a clip on u- tube (it may have been linked from the forum some where) they did this in japan or some other Asian country followed the hornet back to the nest set the nest on fire and ate the cooked grubs. Regards Andrew

We had loads of hornets last year..to start with I thought we just had big wasps - but googled and discovered my enemy. We were catching 10-20 a day in 4 wasp traps...yuck! We had to make fresh every few days as they filled them so quickly

Latest posts

Back