Asian Hornet nest destruction – near Dover, Kent

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Craftypint

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives

"On Thursday 22nd June a small primary nest of Asian hornets was reported to the NBU. A National Bee Unit Inspector investigated the report and collected samples which have been sent for analysis by scientists. Traps have been set for hornets returning to the nest site, and follow up activities will take place to raise awareness.
This is the earliest date in the season that a nest has ever been found in Great Britain. Nests have previously been reported in the autumn, when insects are more visible as the population of the nest increases to its maximum.
Please report sightings of Vespa velutina using the ‘Asian hornet Watch’ app for iPhone and Android, or the online reporting form."

Asian Hornet nest destruction – near Dover, Kent » APHA - National Bee Unit - BeeBase

This is the earliest date in the season that a nest has ever been found in Great Britain. Nests have previously been reported in the autumn
And....
The autumn nests that have been found were secondary nests and none of them had developed sexuals in them.
This one found in Dover is a primary nest which would be about right for this time of year. So just need a few questions answered.
  • was the queen still in there, or had she moved on to a secondary nest
  • Was this nest built by a queen which hibernated over here (which would mean there is a secondary nest out there somewhere from last season), or from a queen which has hitched a ride over on the ferry this year (my money is on the second)

Last edited:
Bit early for a secondary from this year. Secondary nests are not re-used so a hibernating queen is on her own. If there had been a secondary nest, one would imagine/hope that at least some of the thousands of worker hornets would have been spotted last autumn.

My money is on a travelling queen brought over on a lorry or somesuch. At least, I fervently hope so.

I thought mentioning the whole timing thing was a bit odd, to be honest. Without context all we know is that a nest was found earlier than they have been in previous years. It could be down to reasons that are more worrisome, or it could just be sheer chance that the nest happened to be more easily visible for some reason. My initial reaction to that paragraph was "What's your point?"

James

All the previous nest found were secondary nests - even in Jersey today they are only just starting to see secondaries. I think in a lot of cases primary nests, as they resemble nascent wasp nests, if any are found are assumed to be just that.

Latest posts

Back