Asian Hornet nr winchester

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joshcowin

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
There has been a report that a Asian Hornet nest was found and destroyed today near Winchester and Defra will be releasing a statement tomorrow. Not sure on the size of the hive though

There has been a report that a Asian Hornet nest was found and destroyed today near Winchester and Defra will be releasing a statement tomorrow. Not sure on the size of the hive though

Low down, fairly big but more likely a well developed primary nest

Low down, fairly big but more likely a well developed primary nest

Excuse my ignorance, but what is the difference and/or significance of primary vs secondary nests?

Are primary nest those built by newly mated queens? So finding primary nests would suggest there is a fertile queen but she hasn't (likely) had time to build a big colony?

Presumably therefore a secondary nest suggests a bigger problem - that a colony grew large enough to reproduce? Would a single nest be able to produce mated queens - or would a second nest be required to provide different drones?

Excuse my ignorance, but what is the difference and/or significance of primary vs secondary nests?

Are primary nest those built by newly mated queens? So finding primary nests would suggest there is a fertile queen but she hasn't (likely) had time to build a big colony?

Presumably therefore a secondary nest suggests a bigger problem - that a colony grew large enough to reproduce? Would a single nest be able to produce mated queens - or would a second nest be required to provide different drones?

The point of the primary nest is to make a decent worker force somewhere safe and cosy. Outbuildings are common. When there are sufficient workers a new secondary nest is built elsewhere and the old nest gradually decamps to the new one. It is the secondary nest that produces sexual offspring in the autumn

The fertile queens founding the nests discovered so far have been poorly mated, maybe even with just the one drone

I wonder if the new findings are related to my cancelled BKU inspection on Friday. He cancelled at short notice as he had to go onto AH Surveillance.

This has now been confirmed by the NBU;

September 2018 - Asian Hornet Update
A report of an Asian hornet sighting made on the 22/09/18 by a member of the public in New Alresford, Hampshire and was found the following day by the National Bee Unit. The nest has been destroyed and sent for laboratory examination.

The NBU are also investigating a report of a single hornet on the south coast of Hampshire.

The NBU is continuing surveillance for further nests and beekeepers across the UK are urged to remain vigilant and to report any sightings either via the Asian hornet Watch App for android, the Asian hornet Watch App. for Iphone, email or the online recording form.

Latest posts

Back