Is it time to stop importing live bees?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
There are individuals and groups in most if not all associations across the land who undertake bee improvement aka breeding.

Sorry but that has to one of the most sweeping statements on the forum yet.

I have yet to encounter an association which is breeding bees. Most are scared utterly of grafting let alone anything else.

PH

How would you feel if you were responsible for importing a major disease or pest previously absent from the UK ?.
The reason varroa jumped species was because we originally exported our bees. If we hadn't done this it may never have happened.
Ireland/ New Zealand all had a ban on bee imports but they still got varroa. There is already evidence that Varroa mites occasionally wind up on flowers. In 2000, a
USDA inspector found a live mite in a refrigerated shipment of flowers from the Netherlands...suggesting that there could be more than one way for varroa to cross country borders.
Small hive beetle has managed to arrive in countries like USA and Australia where importation of bees was banned. Initially found in areas near major ports in Oz.
Asian Hornet seems to be doing it's best to establish itself in the UK and no-one is importing them :)
Perhaps more than one route for an invasive species to enter a country that has little or nothing to do with importation of bees.

Last edited:
All perfectly true and I understand your argument but why increase the chances/risks manyfold? Years ago I used imported queens (Buckfasts from Isreal and Italianates from New Zealand) but on reflection I don't think the short term advantages were worth the risks.

There are individuals and groups in most if not all associations across the land who undertake bee improvement aka breeding.
You don't have to work for NASA to be an astronomer.

So if it’s that easy and if the demand is there why has it not been done before and in fairness what most of these small groups produce is very poor in comparison that’s part of the issue.

I think we ought to just promote queen rearing. I know several bee keepers who have kept bees for many years and never tried it. It is not complicated at all. It has added a whole new dimension to my beekeeping and is fun. You can still buy in queens if that is what you want, but you never know when you might need a spare queen .

Another issue that never gets raised is the fact that we'd rapidly end up with a far smaller gene pool. Since only those in the S.East/South could conceivably run asuccessful queen rearing business .

All perfectly true and I understand your argument but why increase the chances/risks manyfold? Years ago I used imported queens (Buckfasts from Isreal and Italianates from New Zealand) but on reflection I don't think the short term advantages were worth the risks.

What exactly are we in danger of importing that will kill all our bees?

Imports are subject to veterinary checks before and after they reach the UK. It would be interesting to know how many have been found to be unhealthy and how this reflects with the number of incidents of disease incidents found each year in the UK?
S

Another issue that never gets raised is the fact that we'd rapidly end up with a far smaller gene pool. Since only those in the S.East/South could conceivably run asuccessful queen rearing business .

Where does Jolanta run Murray McGregor/ITLD's queen rearing unit? I know he outsources his early queen rearing to Italy but isn't the bulk of the operation near Perth? From what I've read (on Twitter?) Jolanta's lines are very highly regarded and IIRC are being incorporated into a wider breeding program.

Beekeepers!!

Doubt they will score highly enough on Boris's new immigration policies to be a threat :D
But seriously what new diseases are we likely to import with bees that will cause there demise.
I propose absolutely nothing that we haven't got already.
Given the amount if queens I (and others) have imported over the years I would have thought I'd have seen some major diseases outbreaks if it was such a concern...obviously it isn't. Just a fictitious worry to those who don't import queens and are against their legal importation.

Last edited:
Where does Jolanta run Murray McGregor/ITLD's queen rearing unit? I know he outsources his early queen rearing to Italy but isn't the bulk of the operation near Perth? From what I've read (on Twitter?) Jolanta's lines are very highly regarded and IIRC are being incorporated into a wider breeding program.

How many uk reared queens does murray sell ? If imports were banned he'd be in competition with vendors able to supply queens a month or more before he could. It wouldn't matter that they were good if they were not available .

I don’t think Murray restricts himself to what would be described as local bees!

I know the Jolanta lines have diverse origins but my point is that the bulk of the selection and rearing has been done in the far north of the UK. A substantial amount of queen production, but not selection AFAIK takes place in Piedmont for the early season demand.
I don't know their total sales volume or how it breaks down between the two production areas.

As far as I know we don't have small hive beetle or one of the several Tropilaelaps mites yet. I don't suppose Italian beekeepers were very happy when small hive beetle arrived in their country? UK imported loads of queens from Italy at that time and still does. Luckily all these imports were free of the beetle but it could have been very different if they weren't and there was a momentary lapse in concentration by a person doing the checking. There is always the possibility of human error.

#There is always the possibility of human error.

Of course there is.
But what new devastating diseases are we likely to incur? The two you mention are not really going to stop beekeeping in the Uk. As I explained before...stopping imports is unlikely to prevent their arrival long term

Wow a lively debate.

I am not in BIBBA but have been reading BA and watching lectures from Michael Palmer, Tom Seeley,, John Chambers and Roger Patterson and in the round find they put forward a compelling case for breeding your own locally adapted bees.

I know a commercial beekeeper with almost 1000 hives who produces his own queens from his local bees so it is possible.

I have been able to graft and rear plenty of queens without any major hassle and just having learned from youtube, so its not that difficult and not beyond anyone.
Sucess rates are approximately 50% of the grafts accepted and 50% successful matings in late spring mixed weather. I expect this can be kmproved with more practice. I then use the queens if required or otherwise keep them in nucs in case i need them in the spring. Hence I have good laying queens even before the first impoerts come in in April.

These have been more sucessful than any queens I have bought, which seem to be superseded in the autumn, but you do have to cull queens heading colonies with undesirable traits such as winter brood rearing, unreasonable aggression, running on the comb, robbing, laziness or following. Those with traits I like that perform well I give a drone frame so that they can further spread their genetics in the local population.

It seems that years ago before mass hybridisation, bees were not generally unduly agressive and most were well adapted to their environments. Left to their own devices, most populations apparently revert to something like the AMM. Would this not be a good start to work on local bees instead of continually importing them and messing up the gene pool with unsuitable genes?

Last edited:
One reason for importing queens might be that they are available earlier than locally raised queens. The solution is for beekeepers to over-winter queens in nucleus colonies, so that they are available early the following season. Pretty well every beekeeper can do this.

Other reasons might be to add more diversity or to improve the local gene pool because the local bees are not great for beekeepers. I have met bee farmers who say that the local bees are rubbish so they buy breeder queens from Denmark/Germany or wherever, and graft from those. ONE solution for this that mitigates the risk of importing pests is to import frozen semen, then use instrumental insemination to create new breeder queens from which to graft. That is beyond my skill level for sure.

Then there is disaster recovery. Imagine being a bee farmer earning your livelihood from your bees, and you get a terrible rainy summer/autumn followed by a late & cold spring. In 2012/13 this happened and many bee farmers lost over 70% of their bees. One bee farmer had 10 colonies left out of 800. In that situation, you either give up or buy in packages/queens from elsewhere.

ONE solution for this that mitigates the risk of importing pests is to import frozen semen, then use instrumental insemination to create new breeder queens from which to graft. That is beyond my skill level for sure.

This isn't necessary. Sperm remains viable for up to two weeks at normal ambient temperature. Cryogenic preservation is more likely to be used in more specialized techniques.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back