Infections (e.g. cellulitis) from bee stings (not allergies)

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dr Stitson, you don't live near Manchester by any chance do you? My doctor insists that Ibuprofen and other NSAI's can't possible make you hypersensitive to bee stings because that's what he would prescribe if someone came in suffering from one. I asked him to research it a little as I have no idea how i will react yet and would like my GP to be informed, but he brushed me off. Could you be my doctor lol ;)

various responses

Clare: not inferring anything .... given the current moves to centralise A&Es at large DGHs and teaching hospitals the concept of a "rural" A&E made me giggle. Unless your know differently of course (eg Cas officer put arm in long glove and asked you to bend over to check your temperature!!!!)

Storm: you're lucky - have avoided Horseflies like the plaque for years after early experiences - balloon face as a small child and elephant arm as a teenager - got bitten on same leg (beside knee) a fortnight before my recent bad stings and had elephant leg that i did hit with Abs.

Kazmcc: Whilst NSAIDs do have a role to play along with antihistamines in moderate-severe local reactions they HAVE been reported to rarely to cause sensitisation (severe anaphylactic reaction in individual who had previously not over-reacted to stings AND did not over-react to subsequent stings when off treatment). The mechanism is unknown but it is probably the same as that which causes bronchospasm or urticaria in NSAID-sensitive individuals.
More important is the more common sensitisation with ACE inhibitors - so perhaps any concerned hypertensive Beeks should discuss alternative treatment with their GPs.

More important is the more common sensitisation with ACE inhibitors - so perhaps any concerned hypertensive Beeks should discuss alternative treatment with their GPs.

What about Arbs ? are there any reports of arbs/stings causing problems ?

kaz

I'd never been stung by a bee until last year - had two pathetic reactions to stings that i got out promptly at bee club last summer and then numerous this year since acquiring my temperamental girls - full range from nothing to elephant leg and gerbil face. I've amazed myself at how little they bother me (in fact so much so that i've adopted the hive at bee club which none of this years newbies will touch as they've all had stings off them).

i tried to get a decent sting last week to photograph but it came to nothing. hopefully this weeks feed may produce a desired result, if not i'll be brave and actually isolate a bee and force it to sting me!!!!

Dont be brave,take a bee home and put an ice cube on first,or some Ethyl cloride if you can borrow some.

admin

can't find anything about Abs causing a problem.

reading around a bit it doesn't seem clear whether problems with ACE-Is is due to the ACE (re)sensitising to the venom OR the venom sensitising to the ACE-I (which are well recognised to cause severe reactions alone - angioedema is a well documented adverse side-effect of ACE inhibitors, and can occur for the first time even after prolonged treatment).

Back on topic, recommendations from liverpool hospitals re severe reacters is as follows:

ALLERGY TO BEE OR WASP VENOM
Any patient with a history of respiratory symptoms or a systemic allergic reaction (generalised urticaria, angioedema, bronchospasm or anaphylaxis) following a bee or wasp sting should be referred for assessment. Many of these patients will need their own supply of adrenaline for emergency use; allergen desensitisation will be appropriate for some.
It is not necessary to refer patients:
a) for “screening”, because they have other allergies
b) who have only had local reactions to stings (even though these can be quite intense)
c)because another family member is allergic to bee or wasp venom

if there is anxiety because of these situations, send blood for circulating specific IgE (“RAST”) against bee and wasp venom. If these are undetectable, the patient is at very low risk.

Regarding cellulitis there is good advice on an american site:
http://www.healthline.com/blogs/outdoor_health/2006/09/is-my-bee-sting-infected.html

c)because another family member is allergic to bee or wasp venom

oh that is good news. My brother has anaphylaxis when stung by bees. I assumed I would not have that trait just because he does and I was right.

People inherit a tendency to be allergic, although not to any specific allergen.

Currently there is no evidence to suggest that insect allergy can be inherited. And in fact, people who have other environmental allergies are at no greater risk for allergic reaction to insect stings than are others.

So to clarify - 1. just because YOU are an atopic individual (have one or more allergies) doesn't mean you WILL be allergic to be stings, 2. just because a sib has severe allergy to stings doesn't mean you will (whether or not you have other allergies) and 3. having a sib with allergies probably means you have parent(s) with allergies and you may well also have inherited the tendency so even if you don't have any allergies yourself you MAY be allergic to stings whether or not sib or parent is/isn't.

clear?

Or to put it another way - think of it like the lottery. "normal" people get 6 choices of numbers. atopic/allergic individuals get to choose more numbers. The chance of any particular ball being drawn is the same for everyone BUT allergic people have more chance of "winning" any particular combination of drawn balls.

Last edited:
I think so....so basically my kids might or might not have inherited my tendancy to allergies ( wasps not bees) but may or may not be allergic type but are more likely to be than other peoples children...is that it ?????

Ok, maybe it is called a 'Small Injury Unit' or 'Minor Trauma Unit' or some similar tag,it is a in tiny hopital. Things 'too big' get shipped to Exeter. What ever it is should definitely not be closed down.

I think so....so basically my kids might or might not have inherited my tendancy to allergies ( wasps not bees) but may or may not be allergic type but are more likely to be than other peoples children...is that it ?????

Yes - your kids may inherit your allergic propensity BUT not to a specific allergen. so whether or not they are allergic to other things you won't know if they are allergic to stings until they get one!!!!

Its basically a lottery isnt it. Because even if you do not usually react you can start to. Sting duration, sting location, and you personally health wise at the time of the sting. So many variables I am not bothered. See what happens when I do get stung. I wont say "if" because as a newbie I am sure its gonna happen lol. We have a fusia bush right outside the door loaded with bees atm. Even in the rain we have been having. I was tempted to get stung just to see how I would react as an indicator. Before I actually get my bees. I mean if I balloon up and pass out clutching at my crotch and foaming at the mouth like my brother did what use would I be to the bees. It would be a case of palming them off on someone else. Since being on this site and knowing some commercial beeks now, I know they will always take them off my hands if I have a bad reaction. So knowing I can ensure their future welfare if I go trout means I happy to just take what comes if it comes.

I intend to be the first bee keeper never to have ever been stung ;)

Lets see how long that lasts lol

My youngest gets blisters when bitten by cat fleas. The doc thought he had chicken pox when I first found them and took him to see him. He isn't allergic though to anything. I haven't been letting him come near the bees because I'm worried how he'll react if stung, so you reckon it isn't a given that a reaction to insect bites means a bad reaction to stings?

Latest posts

Back