Infections (e.g. cellulitis) from bee stings (not allergies)

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
treatment

"Do you recommend antihistamine and ice each time one gets stung?"

whatever you feel is necessary. I personally only take antihistamine once the sting has "shown its colours" so to speak OR if got properly stung multiple times (NB the adrenaline rush involved with running away, stripping in the greenhouse or whereever etc etc will leave you feeeling like you are having an allergic reaction anyway!). never used ice myself but won't do any harm.

Being stung like this hasn't put you off bee keeping though has it? :leaving:

It hasn't, no. It was not until August when I first got stung by my own bees, and that was only during a quick feeding. I'd done weekly inspections since I got my first nuc in May, never even wearing gloves, without a sting. I was rather proud of how placid my bees were and perhaps that led to a bit of a cavalier attitude.
After my feet were attacked (by my BKA's grumpy bees) I did think twice about being so cavalier but it has not put me off.

I do wear thick gloves the whole time now though :)

Funnily enough, I've gone the opposite way. Our bees are so laid back they are almost horizontal, yet I get more covered up at each inspection. When we treated for bee nits this week our mentor commented on how much stuff I had on :p I will end up like mitchelin man soon :D

Is that a new technical term for varroa?:hurray:

Cazza

Yeah, lol. We got a letter home from school saying there were nits going round, it came to me as I was check ing heads :biggrinjester: Either that or bee fleas :p

I'm glad I'm not the only one,
received 3 on right foot and 1 on my left and one went up my leg and got me at the top of my leg just under my bum,how you ask,because I was careless only going in to check suppers and put on clearer board,so did not wear boots(just a quick in and out job).they were in such a foul temper(due to weather).1 got my ankle and that was it open season. I was so concerned about my ankle I did not feel on making its way up my leg until it hit the mark.(if it had gone round the front of my leg I might have been in real trouble if you know waht I mean)
anyway always always wear wellies.

Funnily enough, I've gone the opposite way. Our bees are so laid back they are almost horizontal, yet I get more covered up at each inspection. When we treated for bee nits this week our mentor commented on how much stuff I had on :p I will end up like mitchelin man soon :D

Same here - I've gradually been adding more layers of clothing! I've gone from trainers and no gloves to wellies and marigolds for my hive, as I've found that my stings swell up a lot - no cellulitis infections or allergies, just a lot of puffiness and throbbing.

I've also started wearing my glasses rather than lenses for an extra layer of protection between my eyes and the bees, after an unlucky eyelid sting!

now there's a thought...

"I've also started wearing my glasses rather than lenses for an extra layer of protection between my eyes and the bees, after an unlucky eyelid sting!"

perhaps i should wear ski goggles along with ski outfit under my beeksuit when they are properly angry and need to do something to them!

Same here - I've gradually been adding more layers of clothing! I've gone from trainers and no gloves to wellies and marigolds for my hive, as I've found that my stings swell up a lot - no cellulitis infections or allergies, just a lot of puffiness and throbbing.

I've also started wearing my glasses rather than lenses for an extra layer of protection between my eyes and the bees, after an unlucky eyelid sting!

Ouch :( I've never been stung before so I don't know how I will react. I got an old sting from carrying the suits home, and felt really poorly that afternoon, but I've never taken a full hit. I intend to keep it that way too lol :D

perhaps i should wear ski goggles along with ski outfit under my beeksuit when they are properly angry and need to do something to them!
Haha, that would be a sight worth seeing! :laughing-smiley-004

I had a diagnosed case of cellulitis following a sting on top of my head (aquired when just looking to see what they were bringing home) which on day three left me with one eye bulbous and closed, a mostly missing nose and swelling drooping off my jaw. Not nice at all...scared the kids! The family tactfully suggested I might part with the bees!Now I always wear an enormous full suit, wellies and leather gloves for everything. Makes me feel invincible!

cellulitis

"I had a diagnosed case of cellulitis"

As per my earlier post - diagnosed by whom?

Most docs have never seen a good going bee sting and anyway are likely to give Abs for "cellulitis" as there is nothing else they can do (presuming you are self medicating antihistamines) and like coughs and colds the sting will resolve over a week without Abs or seven days with!

Was diagnosed late day 3 ( day one not much to see, day two a bit of swelling, day three where did my face go??) by couple of drs in rural a+e, enormously painful I had temp and felt quite ill. Prescribed long course antibiotics and steroids. Kept swelling for another day or two and didn't resolve completely for two and a half weeks. I am properly allergic to wasp stings ( carry epipen) and my body is a complete drama queen when I get stung by bees, swelling more than might be reasonable but this was something quite different to both, never again I hope!

I had a cut on my foot once but did not realise. Went swimming in a public baths, got infected, got cellulitus. It itched at 9 am and by 8 pm I could not walk on it. By the next day I could not be upright due to the pain had to elevate it to reduce pressure. Antibiotics took two weeks to reduce swelling. Not an experience I want to reproduce. Wasp stings make me feel like I have sunstroke which is quite a nice feeling lol. So god knows what a bee sting will do. Horse fly bites tend to cause small itchy hard lumps that take a week or so to go.

Done the horse fly thing, they are stealthy beasts, on the leg, wearing shorts. Actually looked at it stupidly for a few moments before I brushed it away. Elephant leg from knee down, but no where near as bad as Monster head beesting episode. I guess I mentioned rural a+e as because I live in two places (not simultaneously) and the distinction between Urban (5 hour waits in heaving rooms with bad tempered bleeding people and frequent police presence) and rural (walk in, people smile, get seen straight away) loams large in my mind. Or you were just infering...?

Latest posts

Back