bee sting cream/medication

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joelsoo

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi, a bee got me on the eyelid on saturday and sunday yesterday i had swelling og my face and thought to ask if anyone had a good recommendation of what to put on if this happens again.

i usually don't bother if it stings me on the arm or leg and anywhere else, but on the face its annoying as it swells more than anywhere else, thought to ask around if there is a product that you guys use specially for bee stings rather than the typical antihistamine cream and allergy tablets which may not be as effective.

thanks.

Supermarkets sell "Sting and Bite " Cream with 1 or 2% hydrocortisone.. (Asda/Sainsbury do)
Works very well....

:iagree:
Even though I have , the advice on tubes I have bought says you shouldn't use on your face.
S

Mine was bang on the eyelid, to be honest if its another 5mm it would have got my eyeball. i was applying antihistamine cream with my eye closed for a few times yesterday but still have swelling. not fun if u need to go to the shops and look like a victim of domestic abuse. lol

Just pop into chemist for some antihistamine cream and there’s tablets available.

Antihistamine cream not as effective as tablets. Hydrocortisone cream can be used on face , but only short term. It is a steroid and the stronger ones should not be used on face at all.
Dr. Ex

I carry apis mel pillules in my beekeeping box. I don’t believe in this homeopathy hocus locus but when I used to react to stings, amazingly they did the trick. Take one as soon as stung and at intervals subsequently.

Personally I find gin anaesthetises all pain...

I carry an Aspivenin but mostly use it for any observers / Joe public who get stung and use Afterbite to ease the pain. I am not so keen on using steroids. There are a lot of Adders where I live so the Aspivenin is worth carrying.

On occasion I have taken Antihistamine before going to deal with aggressive colonies that require re-queening, but do not routinely take it.

Last edited:
2 Antihistamine tablets as soon after the sting as possible (I use Loratadine) then immediate follow up with insect bite antihistamine cream where the sting was. Try and slide the sting out immediately -fingernail if it's on my face anywhere - hive tool sharp edge anywhere else. Face and eye stings in particular are unpleasant. Elsewhere hardly bother me these days.

Try and slide the sting out immediately -fingernail if it's on my face anywhere .

Yes, it is important to get the sting out quickly to reduce the amount of venom, but always a problem to find when they sting in the hair. Although stings to the scalp are not particularly painful.

I was given tablets called Cetririzine 10mg tablets by a doctor when I got stung on my lip last year and could shut my mouth fully. I ended up looking like the Michelin Man. These were not on a prescription, only 1 tablet per day, they are used for all sorts of allergies according to the pack but bee stings is not one.
The full active ingredient is cetirizine dihydrochloride

I was given tablets called Cetririzine 10mg tablets by a doctor when I got stung on my lip last year and could shut my mouth fully. I ended up looking like the Michelin Man. These were not on a prescription, only 1 tablet per day, they are used for all sorts of allergies according to the pack but bee stings is not one.
The full active ingredient is cetirizine dihydrochloride

They are the other alternative to Loratadine - both sold as alternatives to Piriton for Hay Fever sufferers, all three are antihistamines ... Piriton is arguably the best antihistamine but I find that it makes me so drowsy I can't function - whereas Loratadine works for my hay fever but without the side effects.

One tablet is not enough for a bee sting and you do really need to get the Antihistamine into your blood stream immediately - any delay and the swelling will start. You can get alll three over the counter - I keep a box of Loratadine (Asda £1.29 for 14 tablets) and a tube of AH Bite cream in my bee box.

hi guys, great suggestions, thank you!

Its primarily the face that i am more concerned as its really unpleasant when stung on face, get stung anywhere else don't really bother me much. Also the baseball hat worn in fencing veil also is a neat trick to prevent veil touching face where the bees can sting through.

hi guys, great suggestions, thank you!

Its primarily the face that i am more concerned as its really unpleasant when stung on face, get stung anywhere else don't really bother me much. Also the baseball hat worn in fencing veil also is a neat trick to prevent veil touching face where the bees can sting through.

I find baseball hats come off when worn under veils and end up blocking my view... maybe I am doing something wrong.

I find baseball hats come off when worn under veils and end up blocking my view... maybe I am doing something wrong.

i think have to wear it tight against the head. i have had that experience too, maybe a drawstring under the chin is the answer.

Latest posts

Back