First sting of the year

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This was my finger about 6hours after the initial sting and it kept getting worse.

I've pontificated about antibiotics on various posts above but I forgot to say that several months ago I had a finger just like Brendan's - but no recent bee sting. It turned out to be an attack of gout....

I've pontificated about antibiotics on various posts above but I forgot to say that several months ago I had a finger just like Brendan's - but no recent bee sting. It turned out to be an attack of gout....
You'll have to learn to drink your port whilst wearing gloves

Sublimation is the process in which a solid transforms into a gas phase without first melting to form a liquid phase.
And when the OA gas cools, a millisecond or three after it leaves the heat source, it de-sublimes back to a solid in the form of a fine crystalline powder because it is so quick. The OA powder looks like white smoke coming out of the vaporiser. If it was still gaseous it would be invisible. So the bees are not gassed, but are instead subject to powdered OA.

They did say people who had experience of 'serious' allergic reactions and epipen carriers. Beekeepers are immune to covid though aren't they? ;)

And when the OA gas cools, a millisecond or three after it leaves the heat source, it de-sublimes back to a solid in the form of a fine crystalline powder because it is so quick. The OA powder looks like white smoke coming out of the vaporiser. If it was still gaseous it would be invisible. So the bees are not gassed, but are instead subject to powdered OA.

For the first time I'm going to try vaping from the top next week. Given that the OA smoke is particulate maybe this means it will sink nicely down through the Box(es) by gravity, coating the bees and comb more efficiently than vaping from the bottom??

For the first time I'm going to try vaping from the top next week. Given that the OA smoke is particulate maybe this means it will sink nicely down through the Box(es) by gravity, coating the bees and comb more efficiently than vaping from the bottom??
It does work very well. No need to shut the entrance

I think The Poot is saying he would rather not have to nearly die before being issued with an EpiPen. Imagine if someone has a remote apiary, poor phone signal there, working alone, a couple of locked farm gates between him/her and the main road... what if then something serious went wrong (maybe like dropping a brood box and being stung many times)? I could imagine a problem in that situation that could only be solved by administering an EpiPen on oneself.

I’m talking about lots of stings, the sort of thing that could cause an anaphylactic reaction even in someone who normally tolerates bee stings.
I was at out apiary a month back and only got stung once, I started feeling a little funky almost panicked sensation, so I got an EpiPen off gp just incase il need one

Latest posts

Back