Importation of bees

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You're way late to the party on this topic, BB.

It is legal to import EU bees into NI by an NI company and then export to GB. The methods used in Italy are thorough and sufficiently distant from SHB zones. To get up to speed, plough through 21 pages of the recent BKF thread Importation of bees.

I received this from the NBU recently. Point 4 should clear this up:

"According to our records you have imported bees into the UK in the last 5 years. We are therefore contacting you to confirm changes which came into force from January 2021.
Dear Importer
We wrote to you in early December about the changes coming in from 1st January 2021 and can now confirm that this process will stay in place until at least March 2022.
The key requirements for imports from EU member states and the rest of the world are:
1. You must notify all imports in advance via the IPAFFS system; https://www.gov.uk/.../import-of-products-animals-food...

2. You must ensure that consignments from EU member states and the rest of the world are accompanied by a health certificate which has been obtained from the relevant competent authority;
3. Imports from countries other than EU member states must enter via a border control point. Until March 2022 imports from EU member states will be checked at destination on a risk basis. From March 2022 imports from EU member states must enter via a border control point.
4. You cannot import packages of bees from any country other than New Zealand;
5. You must comply with the post-import controls applying to consignments imported from all countries. These controls include that queen cages used to import the queen bees, the attendant workers and all associated packaging must be sent to Fera Science within 5 days for diagnostic testing. This is the responsibility of the importer named on the health certificate.
If you have any issues using the IPAFFS system then please contact:
Centre for International Trade – Carlisle, Eden Bridge House, Lowther Street, Carlisle, CA3 8DX
Email: [email protected]
Telephone: 03000 200 301
Further details and the most up to date information can be found on the imports and exports page of Bee Base at: https://www.nationalbeeunit.com/index.cfm?pageId=126

Kind Regards
National Bee Unit

I have read quite abit of this thread and I'm sorry to say I live quite close to this company's warehouse (rented), we hear in Newry, N Ireland are deeply shocked and cencerned for the health of our bees. We have been trying over decades to preserve native irish bee stocks. This news this company has secured a warehouse close by are sending shivers through our whole network. It is foolish to think that hive beetle importation is not a very real threat let alone hybridisation of our Native Irish Bees.

It is a fair asumption that this behaviour is totally irresponsible ... it will be our objective that this process will be stopped to protect our local bees.

Hello all, its has come to light that a Mr Patrick Morphet is importing bees through N Ireland into the UK to the volumn of 2500 hives all coming from a high risk hive beetle area of Italy..... can this be stopped or has any one got thoughts on this?
Sorry I moved this as we don't need another thread on the subject

when they could be brought straight into England?
I believe that imports from NI to GB are unaffected by Brexit:
Moving goods from Northern Ireland to Great Britain
From 1 January 2021, there will be no changes in how qualifying Northern Ireland goods move directly from Northern Ireland to Great Britain. There will be some changes for qualifying goods moved indirectly through Ireland.

On that basis, the BE/NI company is working within the regs.; whether this loophole will be closed, or whether the bees will suffer in the pause in transit necessary to qualify as NI product, are moot points.

From 1 January 2021, there will be no changes in how qualifying Northern Ireland goods move directly from Northern Ireland to Great Britain. There will be some changes for qualifying goods moved indirectly through Ireland.

On that basis, the BE/NI company is working within the regs.; whether this loophole will be closed, or whether the bees will suffer in the pause in transit necessary to qualify as NI product, are moot points.
Eric that is not what I asked so please do not take my question out of context.

On that basis, the BE/NI company is working within the regs
No they're not, read the line before that one - I'll say no more but just leave it to those who who work with the regulations on a daily basis, not just giving an opinion over a morning coffee.

No they're not
Well, if you too speak to the BE office they'll confirm that the imports are going ahead 100%, which to you and I may seem like sales talk, except there's no need for that as the packages are nearly sold out.

Seems that BE lawyers have found a way to justify the movement from NI to GB, no matter the feathers they've ruffled on both sides of the water. If so, good luck to them.

...Seems that BE lawyers have found a way to justify the movement from NI to GB, no matter the feathers they've ruffled on both sides of the water. If so, good luck to them.
I disagree. The law is clear in its intent and even if they have managed to interpret it "their" way, they need to be investigated/prosecuted. Their actions are a risk to all the bees in UK re. pests. All bee package imports should continue to be banned.

Where did Patrick warehouse his bees when they could be brought straight into England?
Context: at his warehouse at Patrick's Bees Northern Ireland, Unit 3, 92 Forkhill Road, Newry BT35 8QY or elsewhere locally. Secondly, it's been established that imports and packages cannot circumvent the regs. and be brought straight to England via NI, as B+ has posted.

I disagree. The law is clear in its intent and even if they have managed to interpret it "their" way, they need to be investigated/prosecuted. Their actions are a risk to all the bees in UK re. pests. All bee package imports should continue to be banned.

Our views on imports are neither here nor there, and if the law intended to be clear it should have made the effort to do so.

What outcome did anyone expect? A hasty law to solve a complex problem was never going to hold water, and in a free-market economy it looks like the nimble mind will make the sales.

Patrick's new NI company must have satisfied .gov and will satisfy his customers (though no-one else, it seems) so a call for investigation or prosecution is an emotive response, not a factual one. Of course, in the next week it could unravel and end in tears, but I wouldn't bank on it.

PS: just had a text that tickets for Patrick's regional Festival of Bees are on sale.

Context: at his warehouse at Patrick's Bees Northern Ireland, Unit 3, 92 Forkhill Road, Newry BT35 8QY or elsewhere locally. Secondly, it's been established that imports and packages cannot circumvent the regs. and be brought straight to England via NI, as B+ has posted.
Eric. I’m not talking about the regs. What I mean is before Brexit I presume Imported packages came straight into the U.K. is that right?
I presume also that they were warehoused somewhere in the U.K. before distribution..
So. How much disease came in with these?

Eric. I’m not talking about the regs. What I mean is before Brexit I presume Imported packages came straight into the U.K. is that right?
I presume also that they were warehoused somewhere in the U.K. before distribution..
So. How much disease came in with these?
Yes imported packages came in before with the relivant docs/checks and no disease came with them!

Well, if you too speak to the BE office they'll confirm that the imports are going ahead 100%, which to you and I may seem like sales talk, except there's no need for that as the packages are nearly sold out.

Seems that BE lawyers have found a way to justify the movement from NI to GB, no matter the feathers they've ruffled on both sides of the water. If so, good luck to them.
BIM that there is a motorway from Cork to Newry, and no land border between NI and ROI so I would imagine business north south will be brisk.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back