Importation of bees

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So got an email from bee equipment. Would like everyones thoughts, really helping the Irish customers? or just establishing a base for importing bees to get them into the UK?
I've not been keeping up to date with the plans for importing the bees via Ireland, whats the latest? Will they get away with it? or is Ireland going to get stuck with millions of unsold bees that many don't particularly want in Ireland.
Screenshot 2021-03-17 at 11.10.38.png
Thanks.

So got an email from bee equipment. Would like everyones thoughts, really helping the Irish customers? or just establishing a base for importing bees to get them into the UK?
I've not been keeping up to date with the plans for importing the bees via Ireland, whats the latest? Will they get away with it? or is Ireland going to get stuck with millions of unsold bees that many don't particularly want in Ireland.
View attachment 24952
Thanks.
He sells beekeeping equipment.
He also wants to import packages through NI.
Shrewd move.

View attachment 24952
Thanks.
I think this is what’s called ticking all the boxes 😂

For the sake of clarity, the NBU have just sent the following Email (see point 4 which I have highlighted below):

"
According to our records you have imported bees into the UK in the last 5 years. We are therefore contacting you to confirm changes which came into force from January 2021.

Dear Importer

We wrote to you in early December about the changes coming in from 1st January 2021 and can now confirm that this process will stay in place until at least March 2022.

The key requirements for imports from EU member states and the rest of the world are:

1. You must notify all imports in advance via the IPAFFS system;  Import of products, animals, food and feed system (IPAFFS)

2. You must ensure that consignments from EU member states and the rest of the world are accompanied by a health certificate which has been obtained from the relevant competent authority;

3. Imports from countries other than EU member states must enter via a border control point. Until March 2022 imports from EU member states will be checked at destination on a risk basis. From March 2022 imports from EU member states must enter via a border control point.

4. You cannot import packages of bees from any country other than New Zealand;

5. You must comply with the post-import controls applying to consignments imported from all countries. These controls include that queen cages used to import the queen bees, the attendant workers and all associated packaging must be sent to Fera Science within 5 days for diagnostic testing. This is the responsibility of the importer named on the health certificate.

If you have any issues using the IPAFFS system then please contact:

Centre for International Trade – Carlisle, Eden Bridge House, Lowther Street, Carlisle, CA3 8DX

Email: [email protected]

Telephone: 03000 200 301

Further details and the most up to date information can be found on the imports and exports page of Bee Base at: Beebase - Beekeeping information resource for Beekeepers

Kind Regards

National Bee Unit"

Last edited:
For the sake of clarity, the NBU have just sent the following Email (see point 4 which I have highlighted below):

"
According to our records you have imported bees into the UK in the last 5 years. We are therefore contacting you to confirm changes which came into force from January 2021.

Dear Importer

We wrote to you in early December about the changes coming in from 1st January 2021 and can now confirm that this process will stay in place until at least March 2022.

The key requirements for imports from EU member states and the rest of the world are:

1. You must notify all imports in advance via the IPAFFS system;  Import of products, animals, food and feed system (IPAFFS)

2. You must ensure that consignments from EU member states and the rest of the world are accompanied by a health certificate which has been obtained from the relevant competent authority;

3. Imports from countries other than EU member states must enter via a border control point. Until March 2022 imports from EU member states will be checked at destination on a risk basis. From March 2022 imports from EU member states must enter via a border control point.

4. You cannot import packages of bees from any country other than New Zealand;

5. You must comply with the post-import controls applying to consignments imported from all countries. These controls include that queen cages used to import the queen bees, the attendant workers and all associated packaging must be sent to Fera Science within 5 days for diagnostic testing. This is the responsibility of the importer named on the health certificate.

If you have any issues using the IPAFFS system then please contact:

Centre for International Trade – Carlisle, Eden Bridge House, Lowther Street, Carlisle, CA3 8DX

Email: [email protected]

Telephone: 03000 200 301

Further details and the most up to date information can be found on the imports and exports page of Bee Base at: Beebase - Beekeeping information resource for Beekeepers

Kind Regards

National Bee Unit"
But there coming from within the UK!

But there coming from within the UK!

If that were true, the NBU wouldn't have to clarify the matter.
Anyone who orders bees from a supplier who is attempting to navigate a loophole in the Brexit arrangements will probably find they don't get the bees they expected.

If that were true, the NBU wouldn't have to clarify the matter.
Anyone who orders bees from a supplier who is attempting to navigate a loophole in the Brexit arrangements will probably find they don't get the bees they expected.
Don’t think they made any attempt to clarify anything they just stated current legislation. What they didn’t say about movement of goods from NI may be just as telling. Particularly if clarification was the aim.

Is there a health certificate requirement when moving animals between the NI and RoI?

Yes. Phone and computer
Shouldn’t I ?
I use the Firefox browser, and it offered me the option to "contain" Facebook so that it prevents it from tracking. I presume this reduces the chances of you getting unrequited ads for the likes of Bee Equipment or for obscure US. bee food supplements etc.

I use the Firefox browser, and it offered me the option to "contain" Facebook so that it prevents it from tracking. I presume this reduces the chances of you getting unrequited ads for the likes of Bee Equipment or for obscure US. bee food supplements etc.
Well I watched the video ( nice music, pretty bees) and left it there, clicking on nothing.
PS
Actually we don’t click any more do we?
Tap?

Yes. Phone and computer
Shouldn’t I ?
I don't trust FB so I make sure I'm logged out when I'm not using it. But then I rarely use FB anyway. I don't know if it makes any difference though - I just checked what cookies are on my computer and there are some from FB, two of them dated yesterday. At least when not logged in it doesn't haunt me when browsing other sites. I just wondered if you got that message because you were logged into FB.

I don't trust FB so I make sure I'm logged out when I'm not using it. But then I rarely use FB anyway. I don't know if it makes any difference though - I just checked what cookies are on my computer and there are some from FB, two of them dated yesterday. At least when not logged in it doesn't haunt me when browsing other sites. I just wondered if you got that message because you were logged into FB.
You’re spot on.
I logged out and it didn’t happen.
👏👏👏

Hello all, its has come to light that a Mr Patrick Morphet is importing bees through N Ireland into the UK to the volumn of 2500 hives all coming from a high risk hive beetle area of Italy..... can this be stopped or has any one got thoughts on this?

Hello all, its has come to light that a Mr Patrick Morphet is importing bees through N Ireland into the UK to the volumn of 2500 hives all coming from a high risk hive beetle area of Italy..... can this be stopped or has any one got thoughts on this?
You're way late to the party on this topic, BB.

It is legal to import EU bees into NI by an NI company and then export to GB. The methods used in Italy are thorough and sufficiently distant from SHB zones. To get up to speed, plough through 21 pages of the recent BKF thread Importation of bees.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back