Importation of bees

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What I mean is before Brexit I presume Imported packages came straight into the U.K. is that right?
I presume also that they were warehoused somewhere in the U.K. before distribution..
So. How much disease came in with these?
Ah, I understand: yes, straight in. With ITLD, collection would be off the lorry from Italy.

Disease unknown to me, but these importers are professionals who have no interest in risking trade.

Perhaps the NBU have details of anything untoward.

At last!
Thank you Ian.
So why should disease come in via Ireland?

Because all imported bees are evil and full of disease whilst good British bees are healthy without any diseases at all. :cool::cool:

At last!
Thank you Ian.
So why should disease come in via Ireland?
No more chance than before, people are forgetting this was not a bee health related ban but a result of the deal.
I disagree. The law is clear in its intent and even if they have managed to interpret it "their" way, they need to be investigated/prosecuted. Their actions are a risk to all the bees in UK re. pests. All bee package imports should continue to be banned.
That’s just hog wash and I’m being polite😉

Advertising nucs from NI company now.
Packages will be imported into NI then put into boxes to make nucs.

Advertising nucs from NI company now.
Packages will be imported into NI then put into boxes to make nucs.
I wonder if that means customers will get a box of foundation with bees in or if they will remain in NI until they have drawn comb and BIAS.

Go and look at BE website.
All queen orders etc are being referred to the new NI company.
I was talking to a guy that had ordered 25 queens, he was gutted when I told him they are rubbish and will be gone by summerThey don't overwinter well either not like buckfast from UK or Denmark.

I wonder if that means customers will get a box of foundation with bees in or if they will remain in NI until they have drawn comb and BIAS.
You can't really sell a nuc without bias. It's not a nuc.

You can't really sell a nuc without bias. It's not a nuc.
Agreed. So that would mean the bees being parked in NI for ~ 3 weeks or more before moving them into GB. That's going to slow things down a bit and increase the costs.

Agreed. So that would mean the bees being parked in NI for ~ 3 weeks or more before moving them into GB. That's going to slow things down a bit and increase the costs.

No Idea.
He's been crafty with the wording.
Buckfast Package of Bees with mated Queen in a Nuc Box, available from May 5th* [FULL PAYMENT]
The price was £190 it's now £183.

It is very difficult reading some of these posts and I am bereft to the extent of mindlessness. We here in Ireland North and South are trying to preserve our native stocks and have made hugh steps to do so, over many decades of careful bee breeding. We find ourselves being trampled on by an Englishman whom has no regard for us and what we trying to achieve, all in the persuit of MONEY! nothing else! Within the next 4 weeks in one single move, decades of bee breeding is going to be decimated and from what I see to the delight of some here!! It is deeply worrying and down right disheartening seeing this Partick Morfet crusade like this in Ireland. He is singled handedly going to threaten bee health in Ireland but he is going to spread genetics not native to Ireland. I live about 6 miles from his warehouse!!!!!! It is hard to contain ones emotions thinking if this mans actions and his uncaring irresponsiblity to us bee keepers here in Ireland!!!!

When SHB arrives in UK it will probably be via a package of bees (with a health certificate or not). What will the NBU policy be when SHB is discovered in your apiary? It will be compulsory destruction of the whole apiary and treatment of the soil. Plus SHB can fly, so the chances are it will be all over the area very quickly. Is that what any amateur beekeeper wants? I cannot see how a commercial bee farmer could recover from that. It is a very different prospect from Foulbrood.

Do we really want to take that risk?

Package plus - We will supply you 6 frames with foundation, A mated laying queen, at this stage in the cycle only eggs on one frame are required to be present plus approximately 1.5kg of bees, this will make a strong nuc of around 10,000 bees. These are normally delivered by Royal Mail, You will be able to COLLECT these from Canterbury or a pre-arranged distribution point along the M56, M6 or M1 a small charge is made for collection en-route. The charge per package for collection en-route will be £20.00 per package, collection from Canterbury is free.

choice to have Package + will only eggs present or wait a couple of weeks and have have BIAS for £60 more....

plus you get to pay £20 a lot for drop off on route to Canterbury!!

No I think thats wrong they’ll be package plus option. Simply means they are imported, upgraded with the frames thus becoming a NI product. Job done all’s fair in love and war😂

Buckfast Package of Bees with mated Queen in a Nuc Box, available from May 5th* [FULL PAYMENT]
The law is very clear:

4. You cannot import packages of bees from any country other than New Zealand;

It is there in their own words.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back