Importation of bees

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
As an aside on This Fishing Life... a program about Cornish Fishermen.... they said that brown crab from our waters was banned as an export to China due to high cadmium levels.... although more probably to do with the UKs critisism of China's dubious Human Rights. China was the biggest net importer of crabs from the UK

World has gone mad!
I did notice something about Cornish spider crabs being re-named to make them more appealing to UK consumers. I suppose you have to find a market for them somewhere.

Notice how the thread has become an opportunity to vent against Amm ;)
You can't bring in packages of bees any more, your Tory government thrashed out these trade deals not those who keep Amm. Stop being so bloody childish.
Last I heard you can still fetch queens in so what's the big deal?

You can't bring in packages of bees any more, your Tory government thrashed out these trade deals not those who keep Amm. Stop being so bloody childish.
Where do you get that from? I dont see any such thing in reading it.. Reacting against a contentious claim is another thing altogether.

You might have noticed that the petition originators on BOTH sides are getting it in the neck for their plainly single interest ambitions.

Seems that due to the Kent Bee Importer/ commercial beekeeper.. attempting to use NI as a smugglers paradise... the two have become inextricably entwined!
In fairness the EU appear to think vaccines can be brought in through NI with no issues.

Lol there are no conservative voters that keep AMM? What about the old red wall must be some up there. And what’s exactly been said against AMM. Ian

You guys really should learn to suck it up.
No sensible reply then. So far this week we’ve had people claiming to produce Nucs for £50 so I offer the master beek £70 and I’ll have 20, guess what no reply. Every time people mention banning imports there asked where these breeders are or comparable set ups to our foreign counterparts, guess what no reply!

Last edited:
I did notice something about Cornish spider crabs being re-named to make them more appealing to UK consumers. I suppose you have to find a market for them somewhere.
yes, but they're still spider crabs regardless of what label you give them - doubt anyone will start liking them just because they're given a different name, they're not appealling because they are just an awful faff to dress with no easily extractable white meat. It would take half a dozen of the beggars to make a small sandwich

yes, but they're still spider crabs regardless of what label you give them - doubt anyone will start liking them just because they're given a different name, they're not appealling because they are just an awful faff to dress with no easily extractable white meat. It would take half a dozen of the beggars to make a small sandwich

Re naming them Cornish King crab!
I have been eating them for years.... fiddly maybe but tasty!... French seem to boil em up for flavouring fish stew
Also the local flatfish is being given the name Cornish sole....
I prefer dabs meself.

In London dog fish or spurdog was always called Rock or Rock Salmon.... prohibited catch now!

Yeghes da

Erm, the only spider crabs I've eaten it's only the claws we had, no brown meat, and they were definitely worth the effort, delicious fried in garlic butter.

" forum posts are predominated by black bee /local bee romantics."
Wasn't it you who started the ball rolling, ITLD?
I misinterpreted an earlier post. I made an error. i apologised. I moved on. I had entangled the local bee and the black bee arguments.

Now whether that is actually how it is in general...and I reckon it is...on this thread I extrapolated my response beyond what the poster actually said. If I do a thing like that I will accept myt misdemeanour and move on. Does not need digging up again later. Just read back the previous couple of pages of posts and could not see what you were getting at.

Erm, the only spider crabs I've eaten it's only the claws we had, no brown meat, and they were definitely worth the effort, delicious fried in garlic butter.
The fishermen used to give them away to us when we shared a lockpit in Plymouth - they thought they were worthless, and after the one session we had cooking them, we could see why.

I'd be interested to see these 50 years of unbroken statistics, or maybe the pot was calling the kettle a weasel?

Ruttner In "Breeding Techniques and Selction for Breeding of the Honeybee" Quoted:
average yields honey per hive
1941-50 22Kg
1951-60 33
1961-70 43
(page 50)
And on Page 77 showed a chart of increases in 5 yearly averages of yields 1961-83 of 6.7kg

This was as a result of replacing the German Black Bees with Carniolans and selective breeding of them.

Edit:

The UK average - based on BBKA surveys is around 30 lbs (Not KG).

Germany has more than three time the number of hives that the UK has
https://ec.europa.eu/info/sites/inf...-apiculture-programmes-overview-2020-2022.pdf

Last edited:
Ruttner In "Breeding Techniques and Selction for Breeding of the Honeybee" Quoted:
average yields honey per hive
1941-50 22Kg
1951-60 33
1961-70 43
(page 50)
And on Page 77 showed a chart of increases in 5 yearly averages of yields 1961-83 of 6.7kg

This was as a result of replacing the German Black Bees with Carniolans and selective breeding of them.

Edit:

The UK average - based on BBKA surveys is around 30 lbs (Not KG).

Germany has more than three time the number of hives that the UK has
https://ec.europa.eu/info/sites/inf...-apiculture-programmes-overview-2020-2022.pdf
Oh come on don’t spoil the whole thing with some FACTS😂

No sensible reply then. So far this week we’ve had people claiming to produce Nucs for £50 so I offer the master beek £70 and I’ll have 20, guess what no reply. Every time people mention banning imports there asked where these breeders are or comparable set ups to our foreign counterparts, guess what no reply!
Since his generosity was for new Beekeepers what did you expect?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back