Honey label petition

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What actually happens with these petitions?
A) chucked in a virtual waste bin
B) Gets ignored
C) if enough signatures it gets debated in parliament for half an hour when maybe three MPs bother to turn up and listen - then gets ignored

Notwithstanding those three points: It gets reviewed then ignored

I really can’t see the need for another in all likelihood failed petition, the bbka couldn’t get barely half the membership to sign up for a flagship policy on no imports! (I wonder if that’s going to be mentioned at the next AGM)As a representative body they already have an in with Defra so why not use it! Cheap imports are not the markets for the vast majority of UK beekeepers, their energy would be better spent with friendly press educating the public and informing them. Then they could also do the same with some of the membership who sell at silly prices.
The only bit to debate there is whether the BBKA is, in fact, a representative body...

A) chucked in a virtual waste bin
B) Gets ignored
C) if enough signatures it gets debated in parliament for half an hour when maybe three MPs bother to turn up and listen - then gets ignored

Notwithstanding those three points: It gets reviewed then ignored
Looks like something out of “Yes Minister”
https://petition.parliament.uk/help

What actually happens with these petitions? Does the content get debated in the house or is it reviewed by a committee somewhere?
If they reach a 100,000 signatures the Government are required to consider/debate the content of the petition ... not many reach that goal I'm afraid.

Last edited:
Some local associations are very good.
Yes they are. Since our apiary manager retired and since our SBI took over the education aspect of ours it’s thriving and more open minded.
Things have changed immensely for the better. It’s wonderful what a bit of respected authority can do.

Do Hilltop do their own honey or are they packers/importers or both ?
All of the above I think…They’ve now become a bit like that Tiptree UK company name and address plastered in big letters, rather smaller lettering stating product origins. Not sure why that is though😇

Mainly importers /packers, but not at the .99p a jar end. Did start off as beekeepers apparently not sure if they still are (if so a dressing up opportunity was missed) They do a British range as well so not all imported. It is probably product ranges like theirs that overlap home produced sector far more than the cheap ranges. I did see some of their cut comb (produce of Hungary ) for sale in a farm shop that apparently sold local foods.

As the 'representative' body, I would have thought this discussion should have been even more prominent on the BBKA forum. One post on February and one responce

If they reach a 100,000 signatures the Government are required to consider/debate the content of the petition ... not many reach that goal I'm afraid.
And those that do get 'debated' over an inconvenient time (such as lunch or going home time) Half a dozen turn up in the chamber, a bit of vocal chundering and yawning then it all get's forgotten about.

Do Hilltop do their own honey or are they packers/importers or both ?
They never had more than a handful of hives and I think those are mainly forgotten about now. Just buy in and pack mainly imports but some UK sourced honey.

My association sent the petition to members and one went to the extent of emailing their MP. Amongst all the usual platitudes of a 'standard' MP's reply there was this link:

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/gc-team-publishes-scientific-papers-on-honey-authentication
Interesting but I'm not sure it advances the subject very much. Although it does show that the BBKA aren't the first to raise the subject as the reports were initiated by a report in the press in 2020.

My association sent the petition to members and one went to the extent of emailing their MP. Amongst all the usual platitudes of a 'standard' MP's reply there was this link:

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/gc-team-publishes-scientific-papers-on-honey-authentication
Interesting but I'm not sure it advances the subject very much. Although it does show that the BBKA aren't the first to raise the subject as the reports were initiated by a report in the press in 2020.
That is interesting....and begs the question, what if honey is 'adulterated' with another natural product...eg H2O....commercially the water content of honey can go up to 20%. So, any honey (let's say with a water content of 17%), can have additional water added to it and still be commercially viable...multiply that by tons (imported or otherwise), and some serious money is made !

Latest posts

Back