Honey label petition

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I know some of you have an aversion to the BBKA, but they have set up a petition asking the government to update and overhaul the labelling requirements for the sale of honey. It expires on 7 August. It's not worded very strongly but it's a start in the right direction. I did a search before posting this, so I apologise if this has already been mentioned. https://www.bbka.org.uk/news/honey-labelling-petition

The link quotes
“ We need the government to overhaul and update the labelling of the honey sold in the UK.”
What is actually proposed ?

The link quotes
“ We need the government to overhaul and update the labelling of the honey sold in the UK.”
What is actually proposed ?
nothing really - one of the most wishy washy bland and ambiguously worded petitions I've read in a long time - it will probably be placed directly into file A

They probably want to add BBKA RAW and produced by black/ local bees to the list. 😇..I don’t really understand the need for another failed petition, why not just with other relevant groups ie BFA approach defra. Do we really need anything other than honey! And someone to check what’s in the jar a described of course.

Do we put “Real Honey” on our labels, then?
I asked because I presumed the OP had signed it.

I’ll sign if they state…..proper bee spit honey!!

nothing really - one of the most wishy washy bland and ambiguously worded petitions I've read in a long time - it will probably be placed directly into file A
Exactly.

Sounds more like the sort of unfocused pot stirring that's ultimately destined to have a disproportionate impact on small scale producers when it comes to actual implementation.

I've signed it and we all should - it may not be perfect but the reality is that there is a benefit to British Beekeepers ... if you look at the detail of the petition on the Goverment website it makes it pretty clear even if the headline is a bit vague.

"Fully review the honey market and Honey Regulations, to review evidence of honey fraud within the honey market, and reform regulations and arrangements for enforcement, to prevent future fraud.

More details
Honey is adulterated for economic gain on an industrial scale across the globe. We believe current measures to ensure authenticity of honey are insufficient. Public health, free market, livelihoods, food security, consumer confidence and bee health issues are all at risk.

Current regulations, testing and enforcement are inadequate to protect and inform consumers, and there is a need for an urgent comprehensive review in order to detect honey fraud."

Nothing much to hate there is there ? ... Get on and sign it and encourage others to sign as well ... if it doesn't get 100k signatures nothing happens.

This affects us all and the practice is driving down prices. General public are unaware of the situation and the adulteration/ mass production of "Honey". The present system is not rigorous or robust enough to stop this and needs to be addressed. Can we remove the cynicism against the BBKA and sign for all our benefit.

This affects us all and the practice is driving down prices. General public are unaware of the situation and the adulteration/ mass production of "Honey". The present system is not rigorous or robust enough to stop this and needs to be addressed. Can we remove the cynicism against the BBKA and sign for all our benefit.
Im not so sure that really is the case. Delivering some honey to a local shop yesterday - both shopkeeper and customers present commented specifically about it being LOCAL and not that 'factory produced stuff'. That may be exceptional but I don't live in or anywhere near a metropolis.

I've signed it and we all should - it may not be perfect but the reality is that there is a benefit to British Beekeepers ... if you look at the detail of the petition on the Goverment website it makes it pretty clear even if the headline is a bit vague.

"Fully review the honey market and Honey Regulations, to review evidence of honey fraud within the honey market, and reform regulations and arrangements for enforcement, to prevent future fraud.

More details
Honey is adulterated for economic gain on an industrial scale across the globe. We believe current measures to ensure authenticity of honey are insufficient. Public health, free market, livelihoods, food security, consumer confidence and bee health issues are all at risk.

Current regulations, testing and enforcement are inadequate to protect and inform consumers, and there is a need for an urgent comprehensive review in order to detect honey fraud."

Nothing much to hate there is there ? ... Get on and sign it and encourage others to sign as well ... if it doesn't get 100k signatures nothing happens.
This is all well and good but the issue is that it's almost impossible to detect faked honey accurately at present. The government isn't going to make a change which is absolutely unenforceable (I'm temporarily stifling the cynic in me) so we need to focus our efforts on getting an accurate testing modality first or this petition is wasted effort.

More details

Thanks pargyle (sorry, I only see your name as a reference). I was about to post the details, which you would all have seen had you looked further, but you beat me to it. If you have nothing to hide, which I am sure none of you have, what is there to lose? We need to bring this problem to the fore. We know scams go on, but most of the public don't and will continue to buy the cheap supermarket 'stuff.'

Spot on Wilco, plus it goes against the governments current mantra for de-regulation and "tearing up red tape".
The current regulations are probably adequate but the testing and enforcement are not in place.
I cannot imagine there is a will to impose more unenforceable regulation when border control check points are are up to their eyeballs trying to do the checks they are required to.
I think the best outcome would be to focus on getting the country of origin on the label to inform the consumer . Product of China might be a bit of an eye opener. Though how the regs could be enforced I do not know.
Who has more clout the BBKA with a vaguely worded petition or the likes of multi-nationals such as valeo foods with their lobbyist.

Thanks pargyle (sorry, I only see your name as a reference). I was about to post the details, which you would all have seen had you looked further, but you beat me to it. If you have nothing to hide, which I am sure none of you have, what is there to lose? We need to bring this problem to the fore. We know scams go on, but most of the public don't and will continue to buy the cheap supermarket 'stuff.'
Of course they will, but why try to compete with supermarket pricing. I believe most people are quite aware of the poor quality of most supermarket goods.

Latest posts

Back