Accepting credit / debit card payments for Honey.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use a Square card/contactless reader that links to my phone to sell eggs at work. I've had it from just before pandemic. It cost me £16, the only fees are 1.75%, and you get the money into your account usually the next day. Very easy.

If the printer setup is anything like the one that's attached to the old Paypal Here card reader system, there was a way round it. The printers used are thermal ones and you can buy these from china traders cheaply on EBay, it needs a blue tooth connection, you then have to configure them in a special way to work. I seem to recall the way to do it with the Paypal system was detailed in the business sellers forum on Paypal but there's sure to be a way of doing it for Zettle published somewhere on the net.

Here's the thread on Paypal that detailed what to do:

https://www.paypal-community.com/t5/Disputes-and-Limitations/Cheap-printer-setup/m-p/1614838#M35444
and here is an example of the type of printer: Portable Wireless 58mm Bluetooth Thermal Printer Receipt Printing ForAndroid iOS 8852089603175 | eBay

Collegue of mine uses Sumup. You can enter an email address and email a receipt. Not as good as a tear off in some ways.

Hi all,

A lot of us sell our honey to friends and work colleagues. A lot of my work colleagues just don't carry cash any more and ask if I take card. I Sell a few hundred £'s worth of honey a year. Looking at say Sumup it's T&C's don't seem to mention that you require a business account etc to use the service.
Dodge
I also sell a few hundred £’s of honey each year (if I’m lucky) but I’m a bit of a Luddite so cash is King for me. I’ve built up regular customers over the year’s and I will grudgingly except the odd cheque. If people are that keen to buy your honey tell them to find the money. By the way I’m still longing for the days of of my weekly pay packet.

Last edited:
I also sell a few hundred £’s of honey each year (if I’m lucky) but I’m a bit of a Luddite so cash is King for me. I’ve built up regular customers over the year’s and I will grudgingly except the odd cheque. If people are that keen to buy your honey tell them to find the money. By the way I’m still longing for the days of of my weekly pay packet.
Nostalgia, I remember the brown envelopes well :)
I don't understand half the info here so I'll stick with cash for as long as I can.

Noticed Amazon doing the Sumup 3G reader (no printer) with a £30 voucher code brings it down to £69.99 so I've went for this, arrives tomorrow so will have a play with this. Be interesting to see if it helps sales.

@pargyle
How did you find the zettle?
It's brilliant... I use it all the time for payments for honey and the preserves I make. So easy to use -switch it on and just go to the app on my phone, tap the product in theapp and the price comes up on the zettle screen and then it's just like a card reader in a shop. the customers love it and the money is in my bank account usually in less than 24 hours. The cost is 1.75% of each transaction which is not excessive in the scheme of things ... So convenient - no messing about with cash and scrabbling for change and customers seem to buy in multiples rather than one jar at a time.

And you get notifications when payments have been made, sales reports and you can even do stocks on there ...

I bought mine for £19 and the same deal is on again:

https://gb.zettle.com/hkd1?utm_sour...LTD&session_id=1029c71157d6b7335e28d963638b9e

Noticed Amazon doing the Sumup 3G reader (no printer) with a £30 voucher code brings it down to £69.99 so I've went for this, arrives tomorrow so will have a play with this. Be interesting to see if it helps sales.
Send it back and get a Zettle ....

Also have a Zettle and agree with @pargyle Great bit of kit.

Sumup often available cheaper than the above but Zettle usually better value.

I use SumUp and it's brilliant, very convenient and cheap to buy/use. This is a referral link if you want to use it (you get a discount on the readers) Refer a Friend to SumUp

Just to double check, the only costs are 1) the initial price of £19
2) the 1.75% transaction fee

Thanks

Theres also square………Avoid Izettle!!!!! Or any other PayPal related.

Thanks
Yes ... and they are part of paypal so very secure. Could not believe how easy it was to use ... That's £19 + VAT so unless you are registered the actual one off cost is £22.80 but it's just a one off cost, no monthly charges and 1.75% of each transaction is all you pay. The rechargeable battery lasts for weeks without recharging and it comes with a USB charging cable ... Smaller than a mobile phone and I bought this nice little case for mine which looks really great when you pull it out for people to pay.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/373509343655

Thanks

Sumup is no monthly fee and a 1.69% per transaction fee (which is very good - SumUp - Pricing). The reader is a one off payment which, if you use the refer link I posted above, is at a discount.

You can also send email payment links via an app, so very useful indeed. They do a range of readers, I have the cheapest one which needs your mobile phone and an app, but they also have stand alone versions which connect to the mobile network independently.

Why? What are your concerns?
I don't know what Ian's concerns are but I like paypal ... I use them extensively for on line payments - secure and you get your money back very easily if there is a problem with the purchase. Their fees when taking payments via paypal are quite high and you run the risk of purchasers claiming. falsely, under their claims procedure although it's never happened to me,

Although Paypal own Zettle there are no concerns as far as I'm concerned .. it works for me very well.

Why? What are your concerns?
Pay Pal froze my wife’s training/consultancy companies account because they felt like it. There was no question of anything wrong but according PP there was a possibility!!! Some could complain/refunds so they froze the account. This was some years ago the sum frozen was not minor and the period of lock down was not short!!!! There was sweet FA that you can do. Eventually all was returned….She very quickly changed payment methods!….She subsequently found others that this has happened to. She also uses Sum up for a busy catering facility and it’s great.

We tried with mypos.com. Bought the reader, went through the whole application process, passport etc, only to find that a business account was mandatory. Then they didn't want to refund the reader as it was posted from somewhere abroad. Complete waste of time and money!

Latest posts

Back