Honey jar sizes

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Popparand

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
What's the best size glass jar for selling honey? I am tempted by 1 lb jars because you wouldn't need so many of them, but some forum members seem to prefer 8oz.

Depends on your customer! However I find that 8oz jars sell quicker. My bulk order customers buy 6x 1lb jars at a time. Some beeks sell 12oz jars. Are you selling in your workplace or shops?

Family and friends to start with I guess. Any surplus passing walkers/sightseers

12oz and 8oz go well and are a nice size. I think the price of a pound of honey puts some people off.

Very much so these days. Plus a 12oz hex jar has a very satisfying size and weight in the hand.

And they look good ... and you can get a premium for the 8oz without the price looking out of line ... I only sell in 8oz and 12oz hex jars ... have to buy a few 1lb screw top round ones as the BBKA still insist on those for the honey shows .... as usual, years out of date !

Check your local supermarkets. You’re likely to find that 12oz is the most common size. And like others say, the hex jars are more attractive than round.
You can sell 12oz for a fiver, which makes it easy if you’re selling from your doorstep.

The shop that sells my honey shifts 1lb (£7) and 12oz (£5.50) in equal measure. I still get a demand for the 1lb jar, despite the supermarkets not selling that size. Except for the local Polish ones which sell 500g and 1kg. I think that the £7 price point is getting quite high, although my customers keep buying that size.

The shop that sells my honey shifts 1lb (£7) and 12oz (£5.50) in equal measure. I still get a demand for the 1lb jar, despite the supermarkets not selling that size. Except for the local Polish ones which sell 500g and 1kg. I think that the £7 price point is getting quite high, although my customers keep buying that size.

I think a lot of people would buy 1lb jars me included as a preference for £7 you feel like your getting more for your money. In Ludlow 1lb jars of osr go for £5.50 I've seen cut comb priced at £12.50. I'll be selling 1 lb jars of none osr hawthorn, bramble , wild flower and heather ect... Hopefully :serenade: if I do this enough.

Very often it is not the amount of honey in a jar but the way it is presented. A professional label, a clean jar and lid, a small leaflet to take away explaining your ethos. You can almost put any price on it. If you live in a special area then use that as a feature and people buy it as presents. I lived near Offa's dyke and named my honey Offa's country honey, could have sold hundreds of pounds worth if I had had it. Here in the Somerset levels I sell : wetlands: honey...... Once again, tourists buy it because of the name. Marketing is the key!!!!
E

Very often it is not the amount of honey in a jar but the way it is presented. A professional label, a clean jar and lid, a small leaflet to take away explaining your ethos. You can almost put any price on it. If you live in a special area then use that as a feature and people buy it as presents. I lived near Offa's dyke and named my honey Offa's country honey, could have sold hundreds of pounds worth if I had had it. Here in the Somerset levels I sell : wetlands: honey...... Once again, tourists buy it because of the name. Marketing is the key!!!!
E

You forgot one thing the Quality of the honey to not worthy

E

:iagree::iagree::iagree:
One size, 12 oz round. Make them appeal.
Presentation is far more important than jar size. These days, apart from one outlet, I sell all my honey by word of mouth mainly because the places I did supply have been flooded by another beekeeper; even more than one outlet in the same village. The problem is, the presentation is awful and the frosted offering within the jar is even less appealing so needless to say, they don't fly off the shelves and just sit there looking dreadful! When I was being told 'sorry, we don't need more honey at the moment' by places I used to supply, I left them to it. People in the village know where to get local honey ;)

Back