Honey Jar Labels ???

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just had a label delivery from Thornes, 2*1000 of one & 1000 of another (same label just slightly different details). A label I’ve used for I don’t know how many years & am very happy with. I’ve never really looked anywhere else but don’t think I will with the price quoted above…………my invoice was £114 for the 3000.
Problem with Thorne's was they only do stock sizes (I contacted them before I sourced these) so didn't suit my jar and what I wanted as a label..... (it wraps round the back with all the legal blurb on it). Forgot to say the £90 included 1000 base labels with BB & lot number.

Attachments

• 9505C074-E76B-448E-9BC0-6885768AF7C1.jpeg
    9505C074-E76B-448E-9BC0-6885768AF7C1.jpeg
    814.2 KB · Views: 1
Really? How do you do that? I bought one after reading the Apiarist's article (without doing my homework!) and the 2 x standard label sizes just don't look enough. And if you look at David's jars the labels are actually quite small on the jar. I'm only just starting with it, but it looks really limited.
Having spent a couple of days properly engaging with the design software and the actually very extensive range of label shapes and sizes available (I had no idea) - and printed off a label that looks exactly as I wanted it to look and that fits well on the jar, I withdraw any negative comments I may have thought or made about the Dymo option. I am very happy. The printer cost me £120 from Amazon. There will be no ongoing ink costs. Compatible labels are cheap as chips and stick ferociously to the glass, and I managed to produce a simple, elegant label design, in 2 sizes, that I really like. It'll be a shame if any potential customers just don't :)

Well done for persevering Ian, it does take some trial and error to get used to the software etc,etc. I find the simple B&W designs look efective and non fussy. The labels in time will fade ( I believe about 4 to 6 months once applied).

what is the shelf life of honey?
there isn't one, but the labelling regulations demand the BBE date so the suggestion (not by the BBKA funnily enough) has been 2-3 years, although it's up to you. 2-3 years at least covers the possibility of the lid rusting.

there isn't one, but the labelling regulations demand the BBE date so the suggestion (not by the BBKA funnily enough) has been 2-3 years, although it's up to you. 2-3 years at least covers the possibility of the lid rusting.
Talking about lids some of mine had rusted in less than a year!

Having designed 1000's of labels, I see prices mentioned here, I'm often asked can I produce 200 labels. I use a professional printer, and low quantities are not cost effective. The cost between 1000 and 2000 labels is often as little as £30, depending on size, shape and material.

what is the shelf life of honey?
Best Before is however long you decide you can vouch for the product to be in 'best' condition. I did read somewhere that you have a legal responsibility up to the date you declare but I can't find where that was.

A bit difficult with honeys that crystallize fairly quickly. One of my apiaries was near to acres of borage this summer and that honey does tend to go cloudy fairly quickly.

A disclaimer on the jar re crystallisation and warming helps to mitigate problems about it 'going off'.

Decades ,but we are told to put 2-3 years by unelected self appointed experts
Although 2-3 years makes good sense ... longer and I think the general run of the mill public would be surprised to see a shelf life that long and frankly most raw honeys would have started crystallising or even separating long before that. Less than 2 years ...smaller hobby beekeepers having labels printed for them may find it hard to get through a reasonable batch of labels before they get too close to the BB date.

I don't know about the self appointed experts :) ~ some things are just good common sense and fit well. We are obliged under the Regs to include a BB date - but really, in the case of honey, it's a bit of nonsense.

I think we would be better off following the wine trade and putting a Vintage on our honey jars ! I have one customer who insists that 2018 was the best honey he ever bought off me and raves about it every time he buys more ... Is it in his mind or did he really notice a marked difference in the 2018 vintage ?

Now that’s a thought. As well as artisan and raw we could put the vintage. Well done Philip!
Oh no... hadn't thought about that ... back to the drawing board for my labels ...

Raw, artisan, untreated, coarse filtered, unheated, local, Vintage 22 Honey ... I'm going to need a bigger label.

Oh no... hadn't thought about that ... back to the drawing board for my labels ...

Raw, artisan, untreated, coarse filtered, unheated, local, Vintage 22 Honey ... I'm going to need a bigger label.
:laughing-smiley-004 I think I am at odds with the world - I keep going for smaller labels with less text - I like the idea of just one word - HONEY - but I find it useful to prefix that with the name of my locality as I find both local residents and visitors seem to prefer to know where their honey came from.

Latest posts

Back