Home Made Oxallic Sublimator

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What nugget, JBM?
That oxalic vapour kills larvae or that the bees dump dead larvae outside?
BrianO asked the first.
I didn't think it did which is what I should have said

What nugget, JBM?
That oxalic vapour kills larvae or that the bees dump dead larvae outside?
BrianO asked the first.
I didn't think it did which is what I should have said

sorry, the question was aimed at Brian - I agree with you, didn't see any evidence of larvae damage when I vaped - although not all had brood

:iagree:
who told you that nugget?

As to who told me, I read it in our monthly journal An Beachaire in an article by a well known commercial beekeeper who uses this method to treat Varroa.

Not sure whether you agree or not ? Inference using the " Nuggett " suggests otherwise ?

Would imagine if it kills varroa it could well kill sensitive bee larvae.

As to who told me, I read it in our monthly journal An Beachaire in an article by a well known commercial beekeeper who uses this method to treat Varroa.

In which issue was that? I do not recollect seeing it.

This months, just received in the post yesterday, some really good articles.

Found it.

Read all about it in this forum first! :D.
Interestingly there was an article in "Beecraft" (The UK equivalent of "Beachaire"). It was "Oxalic Acid Treatment to kill Varroa Mites" written by Margaret Crowley, the deputy editor of that publication. She refers to damage done to unsealed brood by trickling OA. whether it would be accurate to extrapolate this to include OA vapourisation, I know not.

Found it.

Read all about it in this forum first! :D.
Interestingly there was an article in "Beecraft" (The UK equivalent of "Beachaire"). It was "Oxalic Acid Treatment to kill Varroa Mites" written by Margaret Crowley, the deputy editor of that publication. She refers to damage done to unsealed brood by trickling OA. whether it would be accurate to extrapolate this to include OA vapourisation, I know not.

Hmm..

Sounds like it is the Irish equivalent of the BBKA magazine.

hmmm - well if the increasingly poor quality of the last edition of The Welsh Beekeeper is a taste of the future that will be another one only fit for the back of the toilet door :D

She refers to damage done to unsealed brood by trickling OA. whether it would be accurate to extrapolate this to include OA vapourisation, I know not.

It would not be accurate.

Quote from Randy Oliver "Heinz Kaemmerer of Heilyser Technology Ltd. says: “We treated several colonies for 3 months during winter, once a week with the vaporizer and all colonies survived.” “With brood, colonies can be treated with the right amount of OA 3 to 4 times, a week apart; there is no harm to bees, queen or brood.” Medhat Nasr confirms that vaporized oxalic is very gentle to the bees."

Relevant references can be found on the link above.

And, more significantly, personal observation. No visible damage to open brood after repeated treatment 3 x 5 days apart early- and mid-season in 2015. No apparent delay in egg laying by the queen. No problems with virgin queens in casts who subsequently got out to mate successfully (small numbers but reassuring).

It would not be accurate.

Quote from Randy Oliver "Heinz Kaemmerer of Heilyser Technology Ltd. says: “We treated several colonies for 3 months during winter, once a week with the vaporizer and all colonies survived.” “With brood, colonies can be treated with the right amount of OA 3 to 4 times, a week apart; there is no harm to bees, queen or brood.” Medhat Nasr confirms that vaporized oxalic is very gentle to the bees."

Relevant references can be found on the link above.

And, more significantly, personal observation. No visible damage to open brood after repeated treatment 3 x 5 days apart early- and mid-season in 2015. No apparent delay in egg laying by the queen. No problems with virgin queens in casts who subsequently got out to mate successfully (small numbers but reassuring).

Very Interesting.

At our AGM last night, got the alternative opinion when i discussed. Though I am sold on the above findings and will treat this week, received my Fleabay Sublimator yesterday, looks and is , really well made.

Question.
2 Hives had Nadired, Super left under for winter for food and to provide a baffle to our constant gales, as on OMF

Will ( I suspect it might ) Vaping damage the Super comb , through leaving a residue on it. Thus tainting honey stored in same in next years crop when i move supers back upstairs ??

Pictures of mine as promised. Tried out this am - works a treat. Just needs a bit added to balance it when in the hive.. tips backwards.

Attachments

• IMG_0131.JPG
    IMG_0131.JPG
    123.1 KB
  • IMG_0132.JPG
    IMG_0132.JPG
    111.3 KB
  • IMG_0133.JPG
    IMG_0133.JPG
    117.5 KB
  • IMG_0134.JPG
    IMG_0134.JPG
    98.9 KB
HM answered this a while back. What is the legal limit for OA in honey?.......there isn't one, although there is a limit on the total acid content.

HM answered this a while back. What is the legal limit for OA in honey?.......there isn't one, although there is a limit on the total acid content.

OK , but to pursue further

Is having a trace of Oxallic a bad thing in your hone, is a trace of Oxallic dangerous / harmful in any way ?

Anyone who knows ?

Latest posts

Back