Home Made oxalic vaporiser

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
you're faffing around with a bodged up bit of pipe with oxalic acid dihydrate in, then you are going to stand there with your nose almost against the hive playing a gas blowlamp over the pipe. Sublimated OA spewing out all over the place, as well as the possibility of the joints popping if there is any kind of blockage. Notwithstanding the dangers of breathing in oxalic vapours or desublimated crystals there's the matter of extremely hot metalwork and the possibility of overheating the oxalic and damaging the bees.
Well worth saving a couple of quid I reckon. :D

The pipe is not bodged up, as the fumes ventilate into the hive via the pipe. The joints won't pop as these are not soldered but clamped.

Anyone vaporizing Oxalic acid without any face/gas protection is being dangerous, but that's the same for all devices which generate these kinds of vapors.

Home made or a bought vaporizer both have similar risks.

Given the rise in popularity with fumigation and what seems at times the recommendation given to freely to vaporize the bees it's only a matter of time before you hear of accidents.

I started a thread a few years ago now where I had seen the copper pipe trick and thought then this has to be better than trickle. By the way I don't do either. The thread went along the lines of it takes to long, I can trickle ten hives in the time it can do one ect. How times have changed :)

Given the rise in popularity with fumigation and what seems at times the recommendation given to freely to vaporize the bees it's only a matter of time before you hear of accidents.

In my view, anyone who fumigates with attendees present without a Written Risk Assessment and has an accident resulting in injury to anyone deserves to be sued for gross negligence.

I write as a fumigator. I would not let anyone else near a fumigation with or without safety equipment.

I can trickle ten hives in the time it can do one ect. How times have changed :)

Most likely because it was a method that took too long to treat large numbers of hives with the equipment that was available back then for many, with the equipment available now, it can be just as fast, or even faster than the trickle method, and with the other benefits as well.

In my view, anyone who fumigates with attendees present without a Written Risk Assessment and has an accident resulting in injury to anyone deserves to be sued for gross negligence.

I write as a fumigator. I would not let anyone else near a fumigation with or without safety equipment.

I was having a good conversation about risk assessments yesterday and how funny they are and tick a few boxes :)

I do think some people need protecting from themselves and to often I see advice to vaporise as though it's simple and safe.

Most likely because it was a method that took too long to treat large numbers of hives with the equipment that was available back then for many, with the equipment available now, it can be just as fast, or even faster than the trickle method, and with the other benefits as well.

Yes Pete technology has made application easier especially For you with large amounts of hives to treat.

Latest posts

Back