Home made hives.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I build my own hives and frames, I use 1x lumber rather than plywood. I only use ply for the nucs. Why do I do it? Because living in a remote area where you need to buy online and get it shipped means the shipping puts the costs way too high, wood is heavy. Besides, retirement results in time, time to do whatever pleases me, and building hives and parts does that.

I build my own hives and frames, I use 1x lumber rather than plywood. I only use ply for the nucs. Why do I do it? Because living in a remote area where you need to buy online and get it shipped means the shipping puts the costs way too high, wood is heavy. Besides, retirement results in time, time to do whatever pleases me, and building hives and parts does that.
Do you use white pine?

Do you use white pine?

Spruce or Pine.

well you're probably a lot nearer to the source than many!

Yes, but interestingly most of the Canadian wood is sent overseas to China as logs and we buy a lot of our milled lumber from the USA, funny how sometimes being close means naught. Besides, with the increase in lumber prices everyone is cashing in and selling their trees. The number of clear cut private sections of land is escalating at an alarming rate.

Thankfully my son just purchased a saw mill so hopefully my source will be closer.

Latest posts

Back