Help, i think they're a bit aggressive

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think there are a few problems here. When we first get bees we all want to watch them whenever we can so put the hive in a area that isn't always the best. There may be a good reason that the bees are a bit stroppy they have just lost a lot of their stores and are trying to defend what is left and with the way that the weather has been in the last week or so doesn't help. It could of course just be that they are grumpy old bees and the previous owner if he lived in the middle of nowhere didn't mind that .I think you are in for a fast learning curve here but by just asking for advice your going in the right direction.

Hey it's always good to ask for help!

I think I’d prioritise the position from the point of view of flight paths and getting them up high over morning sun.
Re the 3 ft step things - I’m too a beginner so others may correct me - but I think if you’ve only 1 hive they will find there way across a garden - just don’t move them from one side of the house to the other?
Neil
BIAB

Is there anything wrong with leaving the hive where it is and putting a fence Along the northern aspect?
Letting them find a hive moved to the other side of the garden Is not a thing I would do. You’re going to get a lot of angry frustrated bees flying about where they used to live.

I think I’d prioritise the position from the point of view of flight paths and getting them up high over morning sun.
BIAB

:iagree:
When you read around lots of people say south facing is preferable but it shouldn't be top of your list of considerations for siting.

My hives are north facing, and shaded by several trees because that was the best position to keep out of their flight paths. Maybe they get going a little later in the day (or even the season) than if they were in full sun, but it's not a priority for me.

I'd strongly suggest tucking them away in a corner a few feet in front of a hedge/wall/tree/shed or something to get them up before they cross your garden.

Hey it's always good to ask for help!

Sorry think you misunderstood me I wasn't trying to slag you off. We were all beginners once. I see you are thinking of moving them near the next door field I've never had any problem with tractors disturbing the hives, I cut right up to the hives with the tractor and mower the worst that's ever happened is once when I got a bit close and knocked a hive over lucky there's a cab on my tractor. People on here telling you they never get stung are talking rubbish we all get stung at some time but there is a difference between getting stung occasionally and getting stung every visit.

Sorry think you misunderstood me I wasn't trying to slag you off. We were all beginners once. I see you are thinking of moving them near the next door field I've never had any problem with tractors disturbing the hives, I cut right up to the hives with the tractor and mower the worst that's ever happened is once when I got a bit close and knocked a hive over lucky there's a cab on my tractor. People on here telling you they never get stung are talking rubbish we all get stung at some time but there is a difference between getting stung occasionally and getting stung every visit.

No no think you took me wrong :laughing-smiley-004 !! Really appreciate all the help . Remind me not to knock our hive over

Glad to hear tractors arent a problem, after what everyone said about sun not being the most important thing I think that spot at the back of the garden by the field is probably our best bet (it does still get plenty of sun just not as much as the front of the house)

now we just have to figure out how to move them :laughing-smiley-004

3 feet at a time isn't a great option for us because there's a lot of stuff in the way

I've read you can move them in the winter if you plug the hole for 3 weeks, but that's still a while away yet.

Would moving them to our friend's land 5 miles away for a week or two and then bringing them back to the new spot work? Or would they still get stuck going to where the hive use to be ??

3 feet at a time isn't a great option for us because there's a lot of stuff in the way

I've read you can move them in the winter if you plug the hole for 3 weeks, but that's still a while away yet.
Moving them in winter is a good option, you need a couple of weeks of cold weather so that the bees aren't flying, move them then and no need to plug the entrance for three weeks, although putting a few pieces of brashy, twiggy branches across the entrance can help encourage them to reorientate.

Would moving them to our friend's land 5 miles away for a week or two and then bringing them back to the new spot work? Or would they still get stuck going to where the hive use to be ??
That woukd work - I'd leave them there for four weeks though

No no think you took me wrong :laughing-smiley-004 !! Really appreciate all the help . Remind me not to knock our hive over

Glad to hear tractors arent a problem, after what everyone said about sun not being the most important thing I think that spot at the back of the garden by the field is probably our best bet (it does still get plenty of sun just not as much as the front of the house)

now we just have to figure out how to move them :laughing-smiley-004

Rather a long time, they only need to reorient; notice that the sun has moved in relation to their surroundings - done in winter there is no real need to block up anything (except when physically moving them) as they will be snuggled up for days at a time.

Latest posts

Back