Help, i think they're a bit aggressive

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you I'll have a look at them ..

Right now we've been reading Ted Hoopers guide to bees / honey and Beekeeping by Joanna Ryde

The bees are a lot calmer today, less of them buzzing around the entrance, we've seen them on our buddleia, and we've seen them coming and going with pollen to the hive. And so far none of us have been stung :laughing-smiley-004 I swear they're more like wasps than bees

Hooper is a good source albeit we've got a few other pests these days. There's also Dave Cushmans website with the reservation the guy who maintains it since Dave passed away has fiddled about a bit with some parts.
No matter how independent you feel there's no substitute for having a COMPETENT experienced beekeeper to lend a hand when things go awry. Being around bees for years doesn't necessarily guarantee competence. Theres good advice in the forum and you'll soon learn to separate the wheat from the chaff.

Sounds about right reading that, there was plenty flying around in circles, but also a good few on the landing pad. Wonder if maybe they felt like they needed to defend the entrance ??

I wonder if overcrowding could also be a factor as they've gone down to one super from two.

No matter how independent you feel there's no substitute for having a COMPETENT experienced beekeeper to lend a hand when things go awry.

We use to live just over the bridge from you near Humberside airport . We'll try our best to find someone local, a friend of a friend keeps bees near us we're hoping to make contact see how he feels about giving us a hand.

Mandeville we thought that might be an issue, there are tonnes of bees in there . the super isn't full of honey if that makes a difference? How could we help the population problem?

We've got an empty super with frames, would putting that on in a couple of days help them?

Last edited:
When the super is full of bees, it's time to give them another one, you don't need to wait for it to be full of honey.
I think in your situation I would add one anyway. It may not help with their temperament, but I doubt it will make it worse!

I would agree with others that you have opened them too early and that they perhaps need more room. I would be brave and one day when it is lovely and sunny and lots of them are flying I would simply add a super above the current one. Then in a few days try again to inspect them.

I didn't do a course. I also got 'stung' twice actually with my first lot of bees (the first lot were bought from someone through my local association). There is nothing like being thrown in at the deep end! But do try and association again, they should not be that judgemental and might be able to help you find a mentor, even just for a little while.

Are they short of stores and what is the forage like in your area?

Thank you for such a great response from the forum, very impressed and greatful.

Just wanted to add, we didn't see a hive of bees online and impulse buy, it's something we've been looking into for a long time .. watching it on a video is very different to having them in front of you in real life lol !

Does the super need to go on today (we've got it ready to go all brushed out ect. ) ? The weather's not too bad, I'm a little concerned we might be risking them swarming because it's too crowded ??

Forage is good next field along is full of clover in flower , not sure on stores, do you mean honey or nectar?

I would get the super on as soon as possible. Wear plenty of protection, get everything ready and plan what you are going to do, and then do it as quickly and gently as you can. If the hive is against a hedge or a fence, approach it from behind, that may buy you a few seconds before the bees spot you.

There is likely to be stores in the original super as well as in the brood box.

Hi philipm,

we are based near Haverfordwest, and the hive wasn't brought off of Facebook as we don't use that site

Hi philipm,

we are based near Haverfordwest, and the hive wasn't brought off of Facebook as we don't use that site

Pity a bit too far away from me ,there should be plenty around that area that could help you out why not contact the PBKA.

Had the bees a week now, they're still flying around like crazy all day! Is this normal?

I've put a video on YouTube so you can see

https://youtu.be/qXVnEmEcelU

BTW thanks phillip really appreciate the thought

yes, perfectly normal - you wait until there's a flow on!

Back