Holiday thoughts

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HughMann

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Looking ahead, to when we can of course, what time of year do beekeepers think is the best to get away for a holiday. Personally I used to do my travel photography in May/June - but now I have bees I am thinking this is not going to be viable in the future - a busy bee month.
When would be a good month?)

February. It’s the worst month of the year, but you can still go away for five days or so any time

Looking ahead, to when we can of course, what time of year do beekeepers think is the best to get away for a holiday. Personally I used to do my travel photography in May/June - but now I have bees I am thinking this is not going to be viable in the future - a busy bee month.
When would be a good month?)
I like to get away mid Sept for about a week once hives are treated and a good amount of feeding is done. Then anytime between Nov and mid March for a longer break. Best time to go further afield and find some sunshine.

Is Tanzania calling this year? Or has Covid scuppered trips abroad?
Things have taken longer to get under way with the WWF project (now there is an example of an organisation totally bogged down by bureaucracy) I should have been out there now for the first end of season review but it's unlikely the project will actually be launched until the end of this year - so Covid or not, it's doubtful I'll have an excuse to go out there until late next year - the other proposed project will be very much a hands off approach anyway although if it does get the go ahead I'll use the WWF trip as an excuse to take a few days personal time to check up on them, It's a remote fishing village on the northern shore of Lake Tanganyika so it's a real Michael Palin job to get to.

I have a real hankering to return. It was the first Africa trip I took my young daughter on after her father died. We spent a week in The Selous watching Painted Dogs as part of a month long sojourn. It was over 20 years ago and much has changed I guess. 😥

I have a real hankering to return. It was the first Africa trip I took my young daughter on after her father died. We spent a week in The Selous watching Painted Dogs as part of a month long sojourn. It was over 20 years ago and much has changed I guess. 😥
I don't think it has changed that much out in the sticks - The landscape project covers the Southern part of the Selous down to the Mozambique border and is pretty much untouched by progress apart from maybe some outlying areas have solar power and Landrovers have given way to Toyotas.
and everyone can communicate via Whatsapp!!

I don't think it has changed that much out in the sticks - The landscape project covers the Southern part of the Selous down to the Mozambique border and is pretty much untouched by progress apart from maybe some outlying areas have solar power and Landrovers have given way to Toyotas.
and everyone can communicate via Whatsapp!!
I’m sure a lot of wildlife has been lost though

This time last year I had to cancel a trip to China. This year a holiday in Greece was cancelled thanks to Covid19. I was going to drive down to southern France this autumn. A Nile cruise was on the cards for next February, but that'll not happen now. Then there were all the intended short breaks, Paris, Amsterdam, Venice.
Fortunately, just before lockdown I had my back garden made over, and the patio enlarged, so when the weather allows I can sit out with a drink and imagine that I'm somewhere exotic.

This time last year I had to cancel a trip to China. This year a holiday in Greece was cancelled thanks to Covid19. I was going to drive down to southern France this autumn. A Nile cruise was on the cards for next February, but that'll not happen now. Then there were all the intended short breaks, Paris, Amsterdam, Venice.
Fortunately, just before lockdown I had my back garden made over, and the patio enlarged, so when the weather allows I can sit out with a drink and imagine that I'm somewhere exotic.
Please don’t tell us you vote for the Greens......

He’s in Leeds not Brighton so doubt it.

I’m sure a lot of wildlife has been lost though
Eaten and poached ... bush meat and oriental medicines ... and despite the best efforts of the authorities it is getting worse. A few localised efforts where they recognise that wildlife is an incredible asset to the economy but the reality is that the money rarely gets down to the level of the people who need it most - the criminals who are involved know which palms need to be greased for people to look the other way.

They concentrate their efforts on trying to preserve the big six but there is as much and more wildlife outside of those being killed ... and that's without taking into account the huge areas of natural habitat that are disappearing because of deforestation, local agriculture requirements and a sub-sahara population that is growing exponentially.

The rest of the world are to blame ...

This is one of the benefits of belonging to a local association.
After attending their various meetings and events, and talking to other Beekeepers, you should be able to build up some trusting friendships.
This then allows you to find someone who is willing to keep an eye on your bees when you take your holiday.
Sadly with this Covid-19 local associations aren't holding open meetings, so this is something that may not happen very soon.

This is one of the benefits of belonging to a local association.
After attending their various meetings and events, and talking to other Beekeepers, you should be able to build up some trusting friendships.
This then allows you to find someone who is willing to keep an eye on your bees when you take your holiday.
Sadly with this Covid-19 local associations aren't holding open meetings, so this is something that may not happen very soon.
This has been a major downside to taking up beekeeping at this time. No contact with the physical and Facebook obsessed beekeeping world. So lucky there are sensible beekeepers on this forum.

I wouldn't care if I never had another holiday.
Same here. I've done my globe trotting and while I would love to see Africa again I suspect I would chicken out halfway through planning. I'm retired to a beautiful Welsh Valley with a bit of land. Every day is a holiday

Latest posts

Back